Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Shifter noise?

Old 03-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Shifter noise?

Alright, I REALLLLLLLLLLY didnt want to make a thread about this because 1. im a benz technician 2. ive owned alot of civics 3. im pretty confident in my ability to work and fix cars. Until now. And im admitting defeat. but im honestly out of ideas on what it could be.

Backstory:
2000 Civic lx 5 speed 140k miles. Daily driver. When i first bought the car it had a very sloppy shifter (assuming it was shifter bushings etc) So i bought these Dimes shifter bushings . Made a pretty decent improvement but it was still very floppy. So i said screw it and decided to go with a 99 Acura GSR shifter upgrade . Followed it to the T and bought everything brand new from the dealer for the internals I.E. dust boot, new bushings etc etc (the very bottom of the shifter where the bolt goes through) and the shifter new as well. Cut everything within spec and it bolted right up. Improved the feel of the shifter 1000x more. Super happy with my modification i decided to really look at my car. upon further inspection i found 3 of my motor mounts were just toast. No big deal enter these Anchor motor mounts (this is only one but i made sure all were from the same company) Replaced the two uppers and two lowers. THE ONLY ONE I DIDNT REPLACE was the rear trans one near the fire wall (i had limited time at that moment and i left that for another day) That was about a month and a half ago. Heres where it gets weird.
In the last 2 weeks my while my car idles it makes this noise where it sounds like the ball of the shifter is hitting the body of the car (its not) and when you lift up on the shift kn0b the noise stops. It also makes a POP noise when youre driving and you let go of the gas.

Thinking it was a mistake on my end i basically nut and bolted EVERYTHING i touched and removed. From the motor mounts to the shift linkage to me re-greasing the shifter ball inside the rubber boot. To no avail the noise is STILL there and driving me up a wall. What im speculating is maybe the rear trans mount is actually that toast and causing the noise? or maybe i shouldnt have used those type solid shifter bushings with stock mounts (i know it says it in the descriptions but ive talked to others who used it and said they didnt have a problem with it) ive read that it could be a precursor to the transmission taking shi*, i dont know.

My plan of attack is trying to do the trans mount this weekend and see what happens, then replace the solid shifter bushings with Energy poly mounts and see if they make a difference. I just realized im also rambling.

SO YEAH if anyone has any info or want to chime in with what they think it is let me know. (i know internet diagnosing is probably something EVERYONE LOVES)

Thanks in advance my friends.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic Shifter noise?

In theory, if you replaced all the mounts except for one (and that one was toast along with the others), the extra vibration would possibly be more pronounced in the one that was left. Does that make sense?

As far as the shifter bushings, have you climbed under the car while it's idling to try and pinpoint the source of the rattle?
I went with Energy bushings myself (my stock 125k mi bushings were totally gone) and it's been my favorite mod to date. Great upgrade.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
In theory, if you replaced all the mounts except for one (and that one was toast along with the others), the extra vibration would possibly be more pronounced in the one that was left. Does that make sense?
see that’s wxactly what I was thinking myself so yes of course that makes sense.

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
As far as the shifter bushings, have you climbed under the car while it's idling to try and pinpoint the source of the rattle?
I went with Energy bushings myself (my stock 125k mi bushings were totally gone) and it's been my favorite mod to date. Great upgrade.

i have yes. The second that you grab the underside of the shifter where everything connects to the linkage, you can actually make the noise stop. That’s why I was thrown off so much. I went with dimes because I’ve heard a lot of great reviews and I’ve had energy before so I wanted to try something different.

Thanks for responding!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not positive but i thought ive seen somewhere saying those solid bushing should only be used with aluminum tyoe motor mounts, mounts like HASport..
i would think bushing being solid will transfer a lot of vibration..
Old 03-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Im not positive but i thought ive seen somewhere saying those solid bushing should only be used with aluminum tyoe motor mounts, mounts like HASport..
i would think bushing being solid will transfer a lot of vibration..

yeahhhhh that’s what I heard also. :\ I have regular polys on order and waiting for them to come in.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:21 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

replace the solid shifter bushings with the ES and replace the rear mount and should be good to go
Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasport
replace the solid shifter bushings with the ES and replace the rear mount and should be good to go
Yarp. You can also try rocking the engine and revving it at idle to see if you notice the rear t bracket bushing flex or shift. Probably won't be nearly as pronounced or noticeable without load on the engine/trans though. I think it's easier when it's the driver/passenger mount to shake the engine this way.