Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Integra CAI on EK EX????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra CAI on EK EX????

OK, due to a recent inconvenience my local shop is going to give me a free intake.

They have a bunch of short rams in stock but only a few CAIs. And of those CAIs the only one with a CARB sticker is one off an DC Integra LS

I have a 00 Civic Coupe EX
So my question to you is will that intake fit my car?? (because its the type that goes under the frame and not through the hole and the tranny mount looks like it might be in the way)

And please dont flame me cause ima noob. The reason why I havent posted before is becuase i have found all my previous answers without having to post
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra CAI on EK EX???? (turb0ek)

bump im interested as well!

Modified by emergencybm at 10:03 PM 5/16/2008
Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT For A Homie!!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra CAI on EK EX???? (emergencybm)

bump
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra CAI on EK EX???? (xd69)

Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly doubt that it would fit well, if fit at all. The engine bays are shaped differently enough that it probably won't work. Try getting 2 short rams out of them instead
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It works. My friend had an ITR engine...so he felt it nessecary to get an ITR intake. He had a 98 hatch. The intake fit, but looked crappy.

The DC2/4 and DB7/8 intake routing looks crappy. The 96-00 ex and Si had the hole pre cut in the apron to accomodate the stock intake. If you use that hole to run the aftermarket intake, it looks 100X cleaner and will also protect from water better.

Use an intake for an Si or EX.

The DC/DB intake looks like *** and sits in a bad place for water spray...but will work. You will have a big gaping hole in your apron since the stock intake routes behind your passenger fender via that hole.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

Ok, so on that note, get the Si intake then. There is likely a noticeable difference in diameter since a D and a B have different size throttle bodies. AEM's CAI was 2.5" for the Ex and 2.75" or 3" for the Si.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so on that note, get the Si intake then. There is likely a noticeable difference in diameter since a D and a B have different size throttle bodies. AEM's CAI was 2.5" for the Ex and 2.75" or 3" for the Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The TBs are roughly the same size except the later ITR. The coupler at the throttle body tapers it down for the B series. The intake may be bigger in diameter since the B series will need more air volume.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It works. My friend had an ITR engine...so he felt it nessecary to get an ITR intake. He had a 98 hatch. The intake fit, but looked crappy.

The DC2/4 and DB7/8 intake routing looks crappy. The 96-00 ex and Si had the hole pre cut in the apron to accomodate the stock intake. If you use that hole to run the aftermarket intake, it looks 100X cleaner and will also protect from water better.

Use an intake for an Si or EX.

The DC/DB intake looks like *** and sits in a bad place for water spray...but will work. You will have a big gaping hole in your apron since the stock intake routes behind your passenger fender via that hole. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The "gaping hole" you will have isn't anything that is going to allow any more water in then an SI/EX setup. The ITR CAI is larger diameter pipe (3") and has been shown in at least a few dynos to produce more power. They honestly don't sit that bad in the bay. Its just a bit of a trick to also mount the coolant overflow on the stock bracket. Nothing a little handy work couldn't resolve. If you can TIG weld, you could even modify the bracket to make for a perfect fit. For a free intake, I would DEFINATELY get it. Unless its for a GSR and you have a GSR with the stock manifold. Those have funky bends due to the placement of the TB on the stock manifold... otherwise, get it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if the CAI fits what about somethin like the ARC super induction box which they dont neccessarily make to fit the the d series?? just curious
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The TBs are roughly the same size except the later ITR. The coupler at the throttle body tapers it down for the B series. The intake may be bigger in diameter since the B series will need more air volume. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Y7, Y8, and Z6 throttle bodies are 56 mm in diameter, while the B18B, B16A2, B20*, and B18C1 are 60 mm. That doesn't sound like much but that 4 mm in increased diameter increases the cross sectional area by almost 15%. The B18C5 is 62mm, to note.

So along those lines, I don't see the Si and Ex intakes as having trivial differences. Plus, if it tapers down, that would defeat the purpose of a larger diameter intake anyway since it would restrict air volume.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The Y7, Y8, and Z6 throttle bodies are 56 mm in diameter, while the B18B, B16A2, B20*, and B18C1 are 60 mm. That doesn't sound like much but that 4 mm in increased diameter increases the cross sectional area by almost 15%. The B18C5 is 62mm, to note.

So along those lines, I don't see the Si and Ex intakes as having trivial differences. Plus, if it tapers down, that would defeat the purpose of a larger diameter intake anyway since it would restrict air volume.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if you were saying that a B series intake is either 2.75 or 3 inches, that would equate to 69.85mm or 76.2mm. They taper down at the throttle body. It's inevitable.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point. I think the 70/76 mm was outer diameter, but there would still be a slight taper. What you lose in volume increases air velocity so I guess that was what tuning the intake gave them. Nonetheless, I still think get the Si intake.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Re:

Thanks for all your input and help guys

I will pick up that intake tomorow, when i get a chance

(what a great website)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The "gaping hole" you will have isn't anything that is going to allow any more water in then an SI/EX setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was actually talking about the gaping hole he will have in the apron of his EX since the EX's stock intake routes behind the fender/bumper. It might look unsightly. The intake usually fills that hole. If you get an EX/Si intake, it would fill that hole. Filling holes is what it's about....everybody knows that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The ITR CAI is larger diameter pipe (3") and has been shown in at least a few dynos to produce more power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure he still has a D series.

They honestly don't sit that bad in the bay. Its just a bit of a trick to also mount the coolant overflow on the stock bracket. Nothing a little handy work couldn't resolve. If you can TIG weld, you could even modify the bracket to make for a perfect fit. For a free intake, I would DEFINATELY get it. Unless its for a GSR and you have a GSR with the stock manifold. Those have funky bends due to the placement of the TB on the stock manifold... otherwise, get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do sit really shitty, IMO. The EX/Si mounting pattern is SO much better. I even cut out the pre-embossed hole out of my 99 DX hatch so the intake could mount cleaner. It does sit in a much more protected-from-water area with the EX/Si routing.

If the DC intake is free..and no other intake is free then obviously get the DC intake. If there is an option to get a free EX/Si intake....get an EX/Si setup. That's my final word.