Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Integra Brake and Sway Bar install for the EG

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Icon6 Integra Brake and Sway Bar install for the EG

Here are some of the tips I learned from doing a rear disc swap on my 94 civic cx. If you buy your parts used you will have to replace the rotors, pads, pad retaining springs & guides, and clean and re-lube the caliper guide pins (just letting you know since it may seem the only thing you have to buy is the swap). I bought mine back in 2004 from Import Auto Salvage. They got the parts here in a week (shipping is super cheap), and after all the above servicing, worked great. The best part is that the rear disc swap included the Integra RS 4040 proportioning valve (difficult to install since you can't switch the mounting brackets with the civic one). Import auto salvage also has the best customer service ever. If you have any problems with their parts, simply e-mail them and they will take care of you (***edit: Import Auto Salvage didn't have any Integra parts when I called them mid 2010).

Costs:
Rear disc swap---------------$270 shipped from http://www.importautosalvage.com (with 4040 valve)
Front disc swap---------------$75 + shipping from http://www.hmotorsonline.com (as advertised)
New Brembo blank Rotors----------$20-$30 each
New Axiss Ultimate Pads-----$20-$30 a set
New caliper hardware--------$20 at autozone
Disc Brake Lube--------------$1 per packet at autozone (2 needed)
Brake Fluid--------------------$5 at autozone (get big bottle)
10mm Flare nut wrench------$3 at pep boys (a must for brake hard-line connections)
10 ft small clear tube---------$2 at home depot (cut into 4 pieces for bleeding brakes)
Brake Cleaner-----------------$2 at autozone (clean off new rotors)

Options:
Engine paint -------------$5 at autozone (paint calipers after clean up)
wire cup brush-----------$5 at lowes (clean up rust on hubs and calipers)

Notes:
1. If your adding Integra front brakes, you will need the 1991 civic ex 4 door's brake master cylinder (15/16"). It's a bolt on for 92-95 Civics and is the correct size for the Integra calipers (this is the only civic with integra calipers). If your car is 96-00 I don't know what MC will bolt on.
2. If your adding Civic EX front brakes, you will need the 93-95 civic EX 2 door NON ABS brake master cylinder (7/8"). It's also a direct bolt on for 92-95 civics. Civic EX calipers have a slightly smaller piston than Integras. If your car is 96-00 civic, use the 99-00 Si MC.
3. For any 92-95 civic getting a rear disc swap, you will need the NON-ABS 4040 proportioning valve from: 92-95 rear disc civic, 93+ rear disc del sol, or 90+ integra. If your car is 96-00 civic, you can use the prop valve from an 99-00 Si, or 96-00 hatch back (their all the same part number).
4. If you have a 96-00 civic, you must retain your stock rear LCAs & rear shocks because they are different.
5. Depending on what pads you use, follow the manufacturers break-in process.
6. You must bleed your brakes to remove all the air from your brake lines. Use the proper sequence in your helms manual because some cars are different than others. Do not follow the old "farthest to closest" method, because Honda brakes aren't setup that way. For 92-95 Civic, the sequence is RR, LF, LR, RF. Yes it's a crisscross pattern.

Front Sway-Bar: requires you to separate the shift linkage. One unbolts from the transmission, and one unbolts underneath the shifter. You can disconnect both rods at the transmission, but this requires you to remove what is commonly referred to as the "Bitch-Pin". There are whole thread dedicated to removing this one pin, so do some searching if you go that route. Parts required for this addition are the LCA's w/ sway-bar hole (from any 92-00 civic, Del Sol or 94+ Integra w/ front sway), matching end-links for the sway-bar (22mm & 24mm have different style), sway-bar mounting brackets, matching bushings, and nuts & bolts. I purchased the whole kit from Import Auto Salvage too for $99 + shipping.

Integra E-brake Cables: For 92-95 Civics, it can be tricky to mount the drivers side e-brake cables from the integra. I had to purchase a $2 body bolt (looks like a black bee hive with a washer) from Lowes Hardware to mount one of the brackets under the car into an existing chassis drain hole. It's easiest (bolt-on) to get the e-brake cables from an ABS version of your chassis (2dr, 3dr, 4dr), but that isn't always an option. I don't know if Integra cables work in the 96-00 civic hatchbacks (sorry). Once everything is installed, and properly bleed, follow the procedure for setting the parking brake mechanisms inside the calipers. This means loosing the e-brake cable adjusting bolt (by the e-brake handle) all the way. Then start the engine, and press firmly on the brakes several times. This will set the internal mechanisms in the calipers. Then shut the car off and adjust the parking brake lever properly (zero drag when released, and only slight drag at 1 click up). If you don't do this, you will have one cable pulling A LOT more tension than the other resulting in a weak parking brake. It will seem as though one cable is a lot longer than the other.

Front Ball Joints: First make sure your new knuckles have good ball-joints before you install them (if they don't, replace them). Now, since your new front knuckles will be replacing the lower ball-joints, you don't have to be particularly careful separating the old ones. The upper ball-joints & tie rod ball-joints, however, will be reused, so make sure whatever tool you use doesn't damage them. Pickle forks okay, but they tear the boot (cheap to replace boots though)... A Ball joint separator works best though. It seems, however, the last 3 times I rented checkers front end kit, the ball joint tool was missing the cup that sits on the ball-joints stud. This led to the destruction of two of my ball joint studs making it impossible to get the suspension back together. Also be extra careful not to damage the castle nuts with the separator either. This will happen if the separator is resting on the nut instead of the stud (the nut should be screwed on far enough to keep the separator from sliding off the stud, but should not receive direct pressure). For an awesome tip to separate the lower balljoint super easily, click here!

**edit: Here is ball joint separator I bought that always works for me. It's a lever action separator from Amazon.com that cost about $20. It's similar to the very expensive Honda tool shown in the Helm manuals, and won't damage the stud:

Sorry to be long winded, but I've had bad experiences with ball-joints

Rear LCA Bolts: I almost forgot... If you are removing the rear lower arms use a ton of pb blaster (available at wall-mart) on the lower shock mounting bolts, and let it soak as long as possible (some guys wait over night). When I went to remove the bolt that connects the shock to the LCA, it just snapped the head right off (the bolts rust to the inside of the bushings). This meant that I had to buy a new shock or find someone to cut the old arm off the shock (I tried 3 different places and no one would help). I opted for a set of Koni Sport shocks (yellows) and all new bolts instead. If all the bolts come out fine, order some replacements for the more rusty ones from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and add a little anti-seize goo to the non threaded parts.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Integra Brake and Sway Bar install for the EG

Good info. I was able to install my front sway bar without removing the bitch pin. I unbolted the exhaust (collector from test pipe), drop the shift linkage from bottom of shifter, and drop the stabilizer bar from the tranny/body of car. I squeezed it in there, but it worked.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good info. ive been looking for this for a while. thanks.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good info!!!! Im about to do this on my eg soon! Do you also need to change the brake booster? or the Integra RS 40/40 prop and 90-91 EX sedan master cylinder is all I need? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Small update: Yesterday I found there are actually 3 different types of Civic/Integra 10.2" front brake calipers (all use the same rotor & knuckle):

16CL-14VN (56mm piston) --- Pad set 45022-SR3-V03
- 93+ EX Coupe NON-ABS
- US 99-00 Si (NON-ABS)
- 94 Del Sol VTEC (NON-ABS)

17CL-14VN (57mm piston) --- Pad set 45022-ST7-406
- 94-95 EX Coupe w/ ABS
- 94 Civic Si w/ ABS
- Del Sol VTEC w/ ABS
- 96-00 Civic w/ ABS
- 94+ Integra (non Type R)

17CL-14NV (Acura site says 17CL-14VN?) (??mm piston) --- Pad set 45022-SR3-N31
- 92-93 Integra
- 92-95 Civic EX Sedan w/ ABS

As you can see, all three types of calipers use different pads and retainers. So if you ever have problems finding pads (especially at Autozone cause they try to sell you the same pads for all 3), order these direct from Honda.

edit*** There is still yet another caliper & pad set on the 90-91 Integra: 17CL-14VN --- pad set 45022-SK7-526

Last edited by 94eg!; 08-27-2011 at 10:02 AM.