Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air

How big a performance difference is there between these two styles of intake? How careful do I need to be with the cold air intake when it rains and there are puddles in the road.

I'm looking to revive my '96 Civic EX a bit and plan to continue driving it every day. Want to add header, hi-flo cat, cat-back exhaust, and intake.

Which intake would be best for this application?

Thanks,

Kev
Old 08-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (KevHa)

This has been beat to death. And i'm warning you now, people are going to get pissed at you for not doing a search first. I'll help you a bit though. Cold Air Intakes (CAI) give bit more power but scare some people. Short rams are more safe but don't give much more power if any. It all depends on where you live. Seattle = Short Ram. Arizona = CAI. Goodluck
Old 08-06-2004, 01:05 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (mEKsican)

the difference in gain from a short ram to a CAI is not enough for me to want to risk hydrolocking my motor.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:11 PM

I think short rams are almost stupid becuase they dont offer any cooler airflow which is a major part of your intake. I have a CAI and like it becuase the thought of hydrolock is not that big of a deal, from what i have read the intake has to be almost submerged into water, tiny drops or splashes evaporate. I think CAI is worth the money and worry about hydrolock.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (Honissan)

That is true...it does need to be submerged. But it takes only one time for it to happen and your screwed. It happened to me in Jack in the Box parking lot in my girlfriends Jetta. Not worth it. It all depends on where your located. We are in Cali. but it happened to us. I went short ram for my setup. It scarred me for life.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (mEKsican)

i use a shortram heatwrapped and i also use 3 inch dryer duct going from the passanger side bumper vent to the hole under the filter in the engine bay..works just like a cold air except when it rains water dosent enter the intake...it sits in the dryer ducting and rolls out when i stop or turn
Old 08-06-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (Grip)

stock airbox with a k&n drop in filter is what id do with a stock engine....I dont think a stock sohc is gonna benifit enough from 3'' intake tube. and if it rains a lot hydro lock could happen with a cai. you can cut the resonator from the stock airbox and it will suck air from under the car. I like stock airbox cause its quiet and my cars stock. If I had a b series with big cams,bigger injectors,intake manifold (aftermarket), Then Id say you would definately see a big gain in hp with a intake vs stock
Old 08-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (MulletManRockStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MulletManRockStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock airbox with a k&n drop in filter is what id do with a stock engine....I dont think a stock sohc is gonna benifit enough from 3'' intake tube. and if it rains a lot hydro lock could happen with a cai. you can cut the resonator from the stock airbox and it will suck air from under the car. I like stock airbox cause its quiet and my cars stock. If I had a b series with big cams,bigger injectors,intake manifold (aftermarket), Then Id say you would definately see a big gain in hp with a intake vs stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you cut the stock resonator from the airbox? Is this only useful if you have a k&n drop-in filter because I had one in my jetta and never notice any difference from the filter by itself.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (CanadianSI)

short ram &gt; CAI

It's cheapier
more safe
less restrictive
better throttle response.

but some people say "but you don't get cold air" whaaah go cry my a river.

just make some cold air ducting or your own ice box. then the only benifit a CAI has over a short ram as been nilled.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (a f'n j)

cai owns more mid-high power fo shizzite!
Old 08-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air

Aright well...I don't know much so correct me if I'm wrong.

But Short Rams are cheaper but they don't give as much as power as CAI's. If you're picky about spending money, get the short ram. But you want to remember, even if you have a heatshield, it'll still be next to your engine having a higher chance of sucking in hot air than a cold air intake.

If you have money to spend, get the CAI. They give more power. But one thing you want to buy if you buy a CAI is a water bypass valve because they go so low in your engine bay, submerging the filter could cause your motor to hydrolock and trust me, you don't want to do that. A weakness though of the valves is that you could buy one and then hardly ever drive in rain. But it's always good to have the valve just in case.

Performance wise there is probably several HP difference in gain. But it all depends on your engine though. If you get an intake, you want to get headers, exhaust, catalytic etc. to maximize air flow so your intake is more efficient.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (jrow87)

check this link out http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

and explain to me why the best short ram intake (AC Autotech) testes out performed the best CAI tested (Injen CAI) by 1hp?

these tests were done with the hood closed best out of 3 runs same car, same day. it's a very interesting link.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

short
Old 08-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a f’n j &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check this link out http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

and explain to me why the best short ram intake (AC Autotech) testes out performed the best CAI tested (Injen CAI) by 1hp?

these tests were done with the hood closed best out of 3 runs same car, same day. it's a very interesting link.</TD></TR></TABLE>

does it have to with intake velocity?
Old 08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (mooseknuckle)

ok, first off, saying that there are no gains switching to a short ram, is just *** stupid... its not all about the air temp, ever heard of better air flow?? secondly, if you are going to go CAI, dont worry about the hydro lock, just get what the other guy was talking about, the shut off valve, when water is sucked up, there is a ball or something in there that closes off the pipe, bingo, no water,
Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MulletManRockStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock airbox with a k&n drop in filter is what id do with a stock engine....I dont think a stock sohc is gonna benifit enough from 3'' intake tube. and if it rains a lot hydro lock could happen with a cai. you can cut the resonator from the stock airbox and it will suck air from under the car. I like stock airbox cause its quiet and my cars stock. If I had a b series with big cams,bigger injectors,intake manifold (aftermarket), Then Id say you would definately see a big gain in hp with a intake vs stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

i took off my resonator and it only seemed to make noise. i didn't really notice any hp gains. today i built my own icebox and i love it. its like a mix between a cai and a ram air.

a lot of people make them out of thin pvc, i made mine out of some left over gutter parts, primed it black, can't see it. its quieter and i noticed increased throttle response over resonated and non-resonated.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (nota-ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i took off my resonator and it only seemed to make noise. i didn't really notice any hp gains. today i built my own icebox and i love it. its like a mix between a cai and a ram air.

a lot of people make them out of thin pvc, i made mine out of some left over gutter parts, primed it black, can't see it. its quieter and i noticed increased throttle response over resonated and non-resonated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you have a k&n drop in place of the stock filter? the stock replacement fram etc will not flow well
Old 08-06-2004, 08:59 PM

How about since the short ram vs. cold air topic has been beat down so many times we do.... "Trial Users search and stay vs. repeat topics and get banned.

» Search Results

Your search for short ram cold air returned 39 results.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 AM

here's the thing about intakes, the longer the arm, the harder it is to suck in air.

in short rams, u get hot less dense air compared to a cai. but also, in short rams u get more low end torque compared to a cai in which has more mid-high end. with short rams, once the temperature under the hood rises u will feel a drop in the throttle. with cai, there is the risk of hydrolocking if your splash guard has dissipated. one question i do have is what is j's racing intake considered? if cai's are so much better and short rams are pointless because they suck in hot air, then why does the performance on j's show on the dynos? just wondering
Old 08-07-2004, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the difference in gain from a short ram to a CAI is not enough for me to want to risk hydrolocking my motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Electrician

If you hydrolock your motor, you're a complete dumbass. If you have your fender liner and you see a puddle up ahead, don't be m4d tYt3 JDM y0 and try to hydroplane on it, go around it. Simple as that.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:35 AM

I had a 96 Del Sol while in germany and it had the D16Y8 SOHC VTEC and when I am currently driving a 93 Hatch and I put a Short Ram Intake on both. I like the results on the D16Y8 because it seemed that with the intake on it the VTEC was louder so that is better! Short Ram is what I prefer.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u cant feel any diff with intakes.. get swap or turbo
Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air (d16y8 4u)

Can't believe how many times this type of thread shows up. Do some research. Search. There's many, many threads on this, some even have dyno results if that's what you're looking for.
The CAI will give you a big bump in midrange, and the SRI will usually offer a bit more top end. You're not going to feel amazing gains with either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8 4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u cant feel any diff with intakes.. get swap or turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good comparison
Old 08-07-2004, 09:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MulletManRockStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you have a k&n drop in place of the stock filter? the stock replacement fram etc will not flow well</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope, still stock filter. when the filter that is in there needs to be replaced i'll get a k&n

Quick Reply: Intakes - Short Ram vs. Cold Air