Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED

I have a 97 civic with the resonator removed but stock airbox and filter. Will an intake such as an HKS SMF do much or should i save my little cash?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (turnsignalandy)

Save your cash for something that will give you a noticeable difference... i.e. suspension or new tires.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (Jedi_Sol)

wat about a whale ***** intake?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (turnsignalandy)

An intake is an intake, it will give you about 1-2hp max... in addition to that, your car will be louder. Are you willing to spend $100-200+ for only 1-2 hp?

The only real way an intake will be effective is if you get different throttle body, intake manifold, cams, etc...

Like i said, if you're tight on cash, I suggest you spend your money on something that will give you a NOTICEABLE difference.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ what he said.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you are saying that all intake will give you at least 2hp.
im thinking of buying a J's racing intake for $195.
i can also make my own custom 3'' cold air intake for 1/4 of the price.
im trying to get the most power out of my engine at lower rpm.
i heard that the j's racing is good for throttle .
do you think i should spend the money and does it worth it
Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Out of every

Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (Ruben19)

like he said an intake is intake. if anything i would stick with stock airbox remover res and get a k&n filter
Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (e gee two)

If you plan on getting an intake for any performance you gain you have been mistaken
for an intake to perform to the best of it's ability.. you also have to have some other bolt-ons.. throttle body, intake manifold, headers, free-flowing cat and...cat-back exhaust.. then you will have some easily noticible gains... if you have a sohc like you most likley do.. the gains still won't be as high ifyou were to save for a dohc engine.. which would be a much better choice.. save your cash man... get a new engine..
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Out of every

Default Re: INTAKE QUESTION.. SEARCHED (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you plan on getting an intake for any performance you gain you have been mistaken
for an intake to perform to the best of it's ability.. you also have to have some other bolt-ons.. throttle body, intake manifold, headers, free-flowing cat and...cat-back exhaust.. then you will have some easily noticible gains... if you have a sohc like you most likley do.. the gains still won't be as high ifyou were to save for a dohc engine.. which would be a much better choice.. save your cash man... get a new engine..</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i meant to say
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k so heres the plan i have for you...and for every noob...haha...get a intake...a cheap one...SRI or CAI...then buy a k/n filter...then get a good suspension like GC/kyb/koni, teins..., then nice rims with good tires...start from bottom up first...o and for all of you vets like myself... its okay to get a intake...aslong as its cheap
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k so heres the plan i have for you...and for every noob...haha...get a intake...a cheap one...SRI or CAI...then buy a k/n filter...then get a good suspension like GC/kyb/koni, teins..., then nice rims with good tires...start from bottom up first...o and for all of you vets like myself... its okay to get a intake...aslong as its cheap </TD></TR></TABLE>

man the dude needs a swap

homedepot intake ftw!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get noz
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic nation)

Get 2 nos bottles by tonight and a JDM intake as overnight parts from japan, you can't go wrong. You are on time for the races tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (fast95eg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast95eg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get 2 nos bottles by tonight and a JDM intake as overnight parts from japan, you can't go wrong. You are on time for the races tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

*cough* LAME. LOL.

And intake is an intake. Pretend you have a shop vac. Your goal is to suck as most water out of a 5 gallon bucket as fast as possible. Your hose is your intake. Now you can have a rubber hose, flexible hose, plastic hose, and straight hose. All hoses will pretty much suck out the same amount of water at pretty much almost the same rate in relation of an intake to an engine.

I also build my own intake out of PVC pipes just for laughs on my 92 civic cx. I have an Ebay intake on my other cars and one with stock but this custom intake is pretty cool. I bought the pipes from the hardware store for under $15 all together with bends and clamps. Went home, cut and modified them to fit and still have extra PVC pipe left over. Like a 3 feet of it. I can make it scoop air from the bumper opening kind of like a duct or act like a CAI. And all of this costed only $15. Oh yea and insulation for the pipe works even better than a CAI becaues it prevents heat from soaking into the pipe. It costed liek an extra $10 and I have some left over for household use.