Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intake manifold question

Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold question

what is the difference between manifolds. i heard that the skunk 2 manifold isn't any better than the itr manifold. why is the str manifold so much more expensive than the jg manifold. is the jg manifold any good. i also noticed that skunk2 make a separate manifold for the b18c1 versuses the manifold for the b16, b18c5 and b17a. what is the difference. i thought all b series vtec parts are interchangable? btw, i am getting all of my info off of options auto salon.

Old 04-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake manifold question (2000si)

yup your completly right about the sk2 not performing to what people think.
I was going to buy one for my b16a but did the reaseach and found out stock is better (for most cases) unless yu have FI or have over 140tq at the wheels. And sk2 manifold is almost identical to the ITR manifold. Basically it won't work as well for your b16a2 because of these factors:

1) stock have longer & smaller runners than ITR/sk2. Because you don't have crazy hp there isn't a need to allow massive air flow. Smaller runners help to boost torque on the smaller 1.6 b16a
2)because the ITR/sk2 have much shorter & larger runners it helps to enhance top end breathing for biger motors like the 1.8 b18 or b20.
3)look @ the manifolds plenum size it smaller then the ITR/sk2 because it promotes crisper throttle response and torque force.

I'm not saying that the sk2 mainfold is a bad product or anything, i'm just saying that for most b16a n/a motors out there it won't be needed. However it would be a good buy if you had F/I or you had a b16 with a stroker kit or if you planned on building your motor to run n/a reving it all the way to 9-10k rpm, in that case you might be able to see about 7-9hp in that rev range, but your torque will be lowered all through out the power band by just 1.

..... however it is a get product for the b18c1 because there i.m was designed for mid range tq. when you bold on the sk2 manifold it's like un leashing about 2-3 tr and any where from 6-9hp. the difference is the spacing of the ports as well as the bolt up factor. Not all of the B series parts are interchangeble but there are a few exceptions.

As for the STR intake manifold it's really expensive because if it's way bigger and really really short runner. if you have a large tubo running above 10psi than it'll probable give you about 30 hp(when mesured from the stock intakle manifold).

Just keep in mind of your hp/rev range and sorta look at it like doing the "math for a turbo." if you want to get a little more air flow you could send your intake manifold to a shop to have it sightly ported. I would sugguest you send it to Extrude Hone or Kingmotorsports.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:35 PM

Default Re: intake manifold question (Charlie)

The B16 and Type R heads are the same and the GSR is different from the R and B16.