Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intake in eg

Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake in eg

i've noticed that some ppl use their oem box and then just upgrade the piping. what is the difference between cai and sri?

here is an example right here. but some ppl replace the stock intake arm for a carbon fiber one or tubing for better air flow. then put a k&n drop in.

Modified by shyboi4u at 2:33 AM 10/13/2005
Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intake in eg (shyboi4u)

sri has better acceleration and throttle response but cai gives more hp, it prob wont be noticable though
Old 10-11-2005, 05:38 PM

Not a lot really. It can be argued that there are no real issues with any of them.

Short Ram Intakes breath hot air from the engine bay.
Cold Air Intakes place the filter in an area where it should receive cooler air. Well ventelated and low to the ground.
modified piping.. I dont know what you mean.. using the stock intake box though.. Its the same idea as a cold air. Kept it breathing cool air.

None of them are going to give you a lot of horsepower.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can definately feel the power difference when i take the cold air extension off for the rain.. and use the sri... it pulls more in the low end while with my cold air on it pulls more in the top end ( where i like it ) hahahahahaha
Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake in eg (JoKarma)

lemme put it this way. ppl down here are putting the stock intake like the sir. if i can find a pix i'll post it.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can definately feel the power difference when i take the cold air extension off for the rain.. and use the sri... it pulls more in the low end while with my cold air on it pulls more in the top end ( where i like it ) hahahahahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>Its really a lose lose situation. A shorter intake pipe is better, but cooler air is better. So the short ram will charge the air sooner but tends to pull a bunch of hot air from the engine bay, while the cold air takes longer to charge (hence the "loss" of initial throttle response) it is bringing in cooler, more dense air. IMO the best thing to do is run as short of an intake as possible while still getting cold air. Vented hoods work well to reduce the intake air temp common to short rams. **** go get a 90 degree bend of PVC pipe and cut a hole in the hood, then just mount the filter outside the car. No more hot air and a very short intake tube, best of both worlds. Serious, and joking at the same time.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its really a lose lose situation. A shorter intake pipe is better, but cooler air is better. So the short ram will charge the air sooner but tends to pull a bunch of hot air from the engine bay, while the cold air takes longer to charge (hence the "loss" of initial throttle response) it is bringing in cooler, more dense air. IMO the best thing to do is run as short of an intake as possible while still getting cold air. Vented hoods work well to reduce the intake air temp common to short rams. **** go get a 90 degree bend of PVC pipe and cut a hole in the hood, then just mount the filter outside the car. No more hot air and a very short intake tube, best of both worlds. Serious, and joking at the same time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or get a prm or comptech intake
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
ballin

Default Re: (shyboi4u)

I ghetto fabbed a GSR intake into my EG. It also sucks up air from down by the wheels.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had the SRI, CAI, GSR Intake, and now the J's Racing whale *****. Out of all of those i like the CAI, but be careful i hydrolocked my old motor with the CAI, so now i use the ***** for that CF bling, but its not a big difference between either of them. When i go to the track i just add an adapter i made to my whale ***** to make it a CAI for that 1hp at the top end.

Modified by Convoy at 10:25 PM 10/11/2005
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (Convoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Convoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had the SRI, CAI, GSR Intake, and now the J's Racing whale ***** and out of all of those i like the CAI, but be careful i hydrolocked my old motor with the CAI, so know i use the ***** for that CF bling, but its not a big diff. When i go to the track i just ad an adapter to my whale ***** to make CAI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

gotta say i couldn't get through your post without laughing a few times.

how bad did you hydrolock?

before putting just a filter on, i took all the silencers out from the fender well, and just had the stock intake box going direct to that hole in the body. i also had my splash shield off. and i drove through a nice puddle and sucked up quite a bit of water. the engine wouldn't go over 3000 rpms, but after a few minutes, all the water was out and everything was good again.

the biggest difference in hp was just taking those resonator tubings out.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92accordexpower)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92accordexpower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gotta say i couldn't get through your post without laughing a few times.

how bad did you hydrolock?

before putting just a filter on, i took all the silencers out from the fender well, and just had the stock intake box going direct to that hole in the body. i also had my splash shield off. and i drove through a nice puddle and sucked up quite a bit of water. the engine wouldn't go over 3000 rpms, but after a few minutes, all the water was out and everything was good again.

the biggest difference in hp was just taking those resonator tubings out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!! i also laughed when i saw what i posted.

I hydrolocked pretty good, it was agout 4 years ago, i had a home depot CAI w/out the inner fender well. It was rain really hard and i was driving pretty normal, never taking the rpms higher then 3k. about 3 blocks from my house the whole street flooded and i had no choice but to drive through it (i had to get to work). I drove slowely and i made it through it fine but when i i started to pick up some speed the car shout off. It wouldnt start up for about 10min, then it started and i decided to go home. At home i took out the plugs and there was a crap load of water in the combustion chamber, i flushed it out, changed the oil a few times, but the motor never ran right afterwards.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hydrolocking sucks whale peter , one of my friends just blew his LS due to a CAI . BTW dont drive-thru 3ft. deep lakes in apartment complexes where the drains dont work!!! I personally have a CAI but I got a sheet of stainless and formed a compartment around the backside and sides of the filter just for insurance, works great ! Ive had both kinds on the same jdm z6 and honestly you cant tell a huge diff. !

Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 PM

For the best design, check out the Japanese ARC intake. It design like stock but w/ a large opening in front. What do you get w/ this design? Alumium light weight and polish looking, big opening in front for cold air and not engine bay's hot air, big air box for acceleration and throttle response, short ram that get air quick. And how much? $500. But, they make the BEST intake.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ghetto fabbed a GSR intake into my EG. It also sucks up air from down by the wheels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have a pix of it? i was thinking using a stock airbox would be good because it sucks air from in the fender and then just upgrading the tube for better airflow. then put a k&n drop in. better than a sri so it won't suck hot air and better than a cai for no worries of hydro locking.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that engine bay is nice and clean. swap pretty recent eh? just go cai and dont drive threw puddles. i put short ram on before i pt the extension on for cai and felt the difference. especially on a cold night or morning woooweee boy.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92'si)

Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 AM
ballin

Default Re: (shyboi4u)

No pic, sorry... maybe later today I'll take one, I have classes today
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AEM V2 gives you a noticable amount of hp and sounds sick
Old 10-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (siregcivic)

Comptech Icebox .
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've noticed that some ppl use their oem box and then just upgrade the piping. what is the difference between cai and sri? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Upgraded piping/stock box

And if I was a rich man

Modified by mwieczorek43 at 9:45 AM 10/12/2005

Modified by mwieczorek43 at 9:46 AM 10/12/2005
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

people keep the stock air box cuz honda's are torque weak, even big sport companies do this ie. Spoon Sports.

From what i think i know, SRI increases power in the High end range
where as CAI increases power in the low end... i think more honda people should focus on the high end power cuz thats just what honda's are built for... those who think otherwise turn to the dark side also known as Turbo
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And if I was a rich man

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ARC's are expensive
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think keeping the stock airbox and getting a drop in filter and upgrading piping would be just as affective as a sri. but the airbox would breath cooler air tho.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is an arc?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

around 350-450. just for the intake box and another 100-200 for the intake chamber. if you decide to get the chamber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intake in eg