Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which Intake Combo for B16?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Intake Combo for B16?

Okay, so I need help deciding which intake set-up would be best out of my two choices. The car is going to be a DD, and my future mods will be mild at best. I've come down to two choices: comptech icebox and samco itr intake arm with bpi flow stack assembly. This intake set-up will be on my eg hatch with a KiddRacing header and 2.5 inch piping all the way back. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Intake Combo for B16?

Well the Icebox is a cold air intake and the Samco is not. So it depends what you want.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I narrowed my choice down to those two because they deal well with heat since they're not made of aluminum like a lot of intakes. I just wanna know which one is best overall. Would the throttle response of the icebox be a great deal better than the Samco unit? And what about overall power gains of both?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sri's for midrange power, cai for top end
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sLyBlAzNbBoI
Well, I narrowed my choice down to those two because they deal well with heat since they're not made of aluminum like a lot of intakes. I just wanna know which one is best overall. Would the throttle response of the icebox be a great deal better than the Samco unit? And what about overall power gains of both?
Well I think that Grassroots Motorsports had a Civic Si project car that they fitted with a Comptech exhaust, header, and Icebox intake, and they gained a 10% increase in horsepower over stock after adding all those parts. So they got an extra 15 horsepower with all of those things.

From all the dyno charts I have seen the cold air intakes will get a little more horsepower compared to a "short ram" intake. However all the gains from the cold air intake are close to the redline.

I don't really think the "short ram" intakes have much of an improvement over the stock airbox. However, they have much better throttle response since the air isn't flowing through all that extra tubing. That is why the "short ram" intakes also have better throttle response over a cold air intake. The cold air intake still has a lot of extra tubing the air has to travel through.

You realize that in order to use the Icebox you have to get the Comptech air intake. The Icebox is plastic, but their intake is steel or aluminum. The advantage to the comptech is that you can run their intake by itself and you have a "short ram" intake. Then you can install the Icebox later and you have a cold air intake. The Comptech air intake actually fits inside of the Icebox housing.

You need this Comptech intake

It fits inside the Icebox, but you can use the intake without the Icebox as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bsmith100
The advantage to the comptech is that you can run their intake by itself and you have a "short ram" intake. Then you can install the Icebox later and you have a cold air intake. The Comptech air intake actually fits inside of the Icebox housing.
Sorry if I sound like a noob, but this essentially means that I'll have the nice throttle response of a short ram, but still obtain the benefits of a cold air intake as well since I'll be getting the air from outside the car basically?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I think once you install the Icebox over the intake you will lose a little bit of throttle response since the air has to travel through the extra Icebox tubing. However, you are getting the colder air from outside so you should pick up a little power.

The only thing to think about with the cold air intake is that you have to be careful you don't drive through any really deep water because it can get sucked up the intake and get into the engine.

I suppose if you have the Comptech system you could go with the short ram intake only in the winter, and then put the Icebox on for the summer when you don't have to worry about as much rain.

If you want to go with a short ram that is not metal, K&N has an intake like that as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K, thanks for the info. bro.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, one more question. If I choose to go b18c which it's looking like right now, would I buy the year appropriate gsr intake kit and icebox, or stay with the eg intake kit and icebox?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sLyBlAzNbBoI
Ok, one more question. If I choose to go b18c which it's looking like right now, would I buy the year appropriate gsr intake kit and icebox, or stay with the eg intake kit and icebox?
I am not really sure. The GSR intake is probably designed to fit the GSR throttle body, except the tubing is probably bent to fit under the EG hood. The EG intake is obviously designed to fit under the EG hood, except it is probably designed for the EG throttle body.

If you want to use an Icebox, then you should probably use the EG intake to be sure it fits in the EG Icebox housing. You can always fabricate some kind of adapter out of that Samco tubing you were talking about to get it to hook up to the GSR throttle body if needed.