Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intake cam on exhaust side??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake cam on exhaust side??

oki so i have a gsr block with b16a2 head in my integra. I added on a ITR INTAKE cam to it and saw some pretty good power. but while i read up on it i noticed some ppl speaking of putting my intake cam on the exhaust side. seeing as the lift and duration on the b16 intake cam are similar to the ITR exhuast cam. i see that gsr intake cam is even closer but im wanting to work with what i have. so anyone have any experience with this? can i put my b16 intake cam on the exhaust side? and will i see any benefit from this? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake cam on exhaust side??

i dont think that it will run right man
Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM

You're probably thinking of the Nissan guys.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...e-cam-swap-mod
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by happyabortion
oki so i have a gsr block with b16a2 head in my integra. I added on a ITR INTAKE cam to it and saw some pretty good power. but while i read up on it i noticed some ppl speaking of putting my intake cam on the exhaust side. seeing as the lift and duration on the b16 intake cam are similar to the ITR exhuast cam. i see that gsr intake cam is even closer but im wanting to work with what i have. so anyone have any experience with this? can i put my b16 intake cam on the exhaust side? and will i see any benefit from this? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
If you don't know why this can't be done, you have no business changing your own cams.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't know why this can't be done, you have no business changing your own cams...

very true....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i've seen a few ppl talk about this and its why i ask. no need to be a dick. obviously its possible on other vehicles. which is why i suppose its been brought up before and im not the first to mention it. the lift and duration is similar to that of the exhaust side of an itr. seeing as the dizzy is on the intake cam then the key way wouldn't be much of a big deal on the exhaust side. Regardless if it cant be done it cant be done. but I was wondering why not and why ppl have brought this up before and if maybe someone knows something i dont know.

So if you have nothing good to say dont say ****. I could care less what you feel my mechanic abilities are. thats not what this thread is about. so both of the guys above me that say i shouldn't be working on my cams can **** off
Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davus
You're probably thinking of the Nissan guys.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...e-cam-swap-mod
maybe thats where others have heard about it too. I think i might've seen this mentioned on miata forums too...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm i dont think its even gonna fit. intake cams are alil longer cuz the distributor connects to it. and i've never heard anything bout putting an intake cam on the exhaust side...on honda motors anyway...but i've heard switching the intake valve springs onto the exhaust side.

also, should of got both itr intake and exhaust cams. you'll make more power.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no the CTR intake cam has higher lift/slightly more duration than the ITR intake cam
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redbone
no the CTR intake cam has higher lift/slightly more duration than the ITR intake cam
00-01 itr cams are the same as ctr cams...same lifts but the duration is .3 degree, somewhere around that, longer than 96-98 itr cams.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Trial User

You can put the intake cam on the exhaust side how ever you will need a few things... Most importantly dial indictor set and a big degree wheel.... If your are unsure of what these items are quit your venture here and go to YouTube and get very well acquainted. Secondly the degreeing for cams vary from engine to engine based on the r/s ratio. The b16a is 111/101(int/exh°) the b16b is 101/103.5 b18c5 is 106.5/103.5 but those are stock numbers more suitable for the low end torque and drivability best numbers out there are 105/105 however that would be more top /top,mid while losing on mid/low end.. but if this is a race car who cares. Finally LAST BUT NOT LEAST GETA TUNE OR MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WIDEBAND AEM A/F KIT AND A APEXI NEO AT LEAST BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE TO SHIFT YOUR BASE TUNE!!! oh and shave the end of the cam!! :D have fun!!! And don't crash!! Lol!