Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default insurance question

I am 19 and drive a 00 civic si. I also have a 95 crown victoria which is owned by my parents but is my beater that i drive as my daily driver. My question is this. Would i pay less if i were to put my beater on my policy because its currently not. The reason i am asking is that often times i have seen many persons insurance go down when they add a second car. I am paying about $1650 a year so any little bit helps. Keep in mind i am a full-time student in college so for all you who are in school you know how money can get low rather quick. All comments are welcome and if you know of anyone else who has helped there insurance by adding another car please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn 1650 is hella cheap...Im 21 and pay 1500 every6 months....and clean record..
Old 01-06-2004, 09:37 AM

yes it should come out cheaper depending on your age and driving record (tickets accidents) use the crown vic as your primary vehicle and the si as your secondary. you can also cut back on your damage coverage(property,medical, injury) a little bit to lower your premium
Old 01-06-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: insurance question (jh4dc23spoon)

You will receive a multi car discount, but the discount is on what you would pay for both cars. In other words you will still pay more than you do now.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: (95hb)

I didn't think about claiming the 00 si as the secondary. on me. Yeah that would probably help you out.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (Silverhatch)

how the hell does it cost you 1500 every 6 months? that is outrageous. i dont think mine has ever been that high. what kind of car and how old are you? another thing you can try is let your dad put the insurance for the si in his name and put the crown in your name , i did this on my RX7 it came out as being half as cheap
Old 01-06-2004, 09:58 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silverhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn 1650 is hella cheap...Im 21 and pay 1500 every6 months....and clean record..</TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason why it's probably cheaper is cause he may be on his parents insurance policy.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecb20coupe)

You will pay more overall by adding the second car, even though you receive a multi car discount. If you do it. List the beater as your primary. $1,500 a year is hella cheap...
Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 AM

You could get married... my insurance more than halved when i got married, went from $362/mo. to $162/mo.

but seriously you could call your insurance and ask them for a quote, they should give you one, just tell them you are considering adding a vehicle. I wouldn't mention that you already own it and drive it they might get mad. Also, when i was looking at insurance they usually like to charge you with the most expensive car as your daily driver no matter what you tell them.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecb20coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb20coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the reason why it's probably cheaper is cause he may be on his parents insurance policy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No thats my own policy actually. My parents dont pay for jack **** like some of these kids have been handed. They do however let me drive the Vic as my beater which is very generous of them.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 AM

First of all, is the policy in your parents name, or in yours?

IF the policy is through your parents, put the cop car on the policy and have yourself listed as the PRIMARY DRIVER of the crown vic. You can also place the civic on the policy and tell them that the car is a recreational vehicle, that its not driven for your everyday purposes. This SHOULD decrease your premium, but i'm guessing that adding the crown vic to the policy will cancel out anything you save on the civic.

If you want to save same cash on your premium, you can always increase the deductable on your comprehensive coverage, but that means if something happens then you will have to pay a lot more if its your fault.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silverhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn 1650 is hella cheap...Im 21 and pay 1500 every6 months....and clean record..</TD></TR></TABLE>

My record is clean as well!!!! Sounds like it may depend where you live as well. If you live closer the city you might be paying more.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (Daily Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daily Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could get married... my insurance more than halved when i got married, went from $362/mo. to $162/mo.

but seriously you could call your insurance and ask them for a quote, they should give you one, just tell them you are considering adding a vehicle. I wouldn't mention that you already own it and drive it they might get mad. Also, when i was looking at insurance they usually like to charge you with the most expensive car as your daily driver no matter what you tell them.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i about made the mistake of telling them i drove another car one day and stopped in the middle of it all dumbfounded like "maybe this isnt a good idea". Needless to say i got out of that one before i made things worse for myself.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (solsteeler)

I get a $100 discount for having a second car on my policy.

You can also get discounts for being a safe driver....having no points on your record....or taking a drivers ed class (and "no" not an hpde)

I have insurance through State Farm and I get a huge discount for being a "3 star" driver...or something like that.
So if you are looking to lower your ins. premium ask to see if they have something like that. It might be easy just to call them, then to ask ppl on this board. Unless they have the same ins as you.

okay
Old 01-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: insurance question (elevatethis)

i upped my deductable from $250 to $500 and saved $387 a year........unless you do over a thousand dollars damage you probly aren't going to go through insurance anyway......so you won't probly ever notice the increased deducable!!!

thats just my opinion and my experience tho!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (civicgirl114)

Yeah i took the drivers ed class and i saved some cash doing that, and saved a little more when a previous ownere had the the last 8 #'s of the vin engraved on all the windows the whole way around the car.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (elevatethis)

[QUOTE=

If you want to save same cash on your premium, you can always increase the deductable on your comprehensive coverage, but that means if something happens then you will have to pay a lot more if its your fault.[/QUOTE]

Yeah actually my car was keyed not a month ago so i am thinking this would have sucked had i done this not to long ago. Once everything is fixed i was thinking about increasing the deductable like you said. It wouldnt have been a wise decision had i done this not a month ago though.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=...... and saved a little more when a previous ownere had the the last 8 #'s of the vin engraved on all the windows the whole way around the car. [/QUOTE]

hahaha....never heard of that before but a great idea......especially in high theft areas......we don't have to worry about that at all here.....most people don't even lock their doors......i DO mind you!!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (95cxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahaha....never heard of that before but a great idea......especially in high theft areas......we don't have to worry about that at all here.....most people don't even lock their doors......i DO mind you!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i know what you mean. Theft isnt all that bad in my area as well but i still take precautions due to the value of my si (hybrid) . But i could reallly use a insurance break considering that i paid $400 a year when i was only driving the Vic.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:42 AM

Where in PA are you from? I have Nationwide insurance and am getting screwed by them after hitting a deer. They don't wanna do this, the don't wanna do that....all bullshit

They take as much as they can get and the give **** when we need it. Deep pockets and short arms. To Insurance Companies
Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 AM

i have no tickets no accidents im 17 driving a 2000 ex and im at 1800 a yr
Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have state farm and in order to geta multi line discount,i had to have 3 policies. Full coverage on my civic,liability on my beater and renters insurance. it saved me a total of 200 every 6 months.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance question (gsr~hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr~hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where in PA are you from? I have Nationwide insurance and am getting screwed by them after hitting a deer. They don't wanna do this, the don't wanna do that....all bullshit

They take as much as they can get and the give **** when we need it. Deep pockets and short arms. To Insurance Companies</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am about half an hour South of Harrisburg. I go through Erie which hasnt seemed to give me too much trouble with my claim. I was only keyed and not hit by a deer though. Check around and see if you cant get a better rate or simply some better customer service.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:30 AM

yea, I hear that. My insurance companie wants me to superglue the headlights back together How the hell is that gonna hold up. HTe body shop and I refuse so we are in a big fight. Oh well I bought CTR headlights anyway.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM

yea if u add another car under your name it will be cheaper.

Quick Reply: insurance question