Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications...

I receive a notice today that as of May, my insurance will not be renewed since my vehicle is modified. That is the only reason they are dropping me, no record nothing sounds like **** to me, but oh well. I guess they did not like paying for my CF hood or my CTR headlights . Anyone ever been dropped for performance modifications? If so was it hard to get another insurance company to cover the car or is it just like getting another carrier, I am thinking of selling the car anyway.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (gsr~hatch)

Just curious, What insurance company do you have? last year My car got ripped off and my insurance company (usaa) paid for a good amount of what I put in. Maybe I just got lucky? I showed them ever receipt for everything that was done to the car to get a higher value.............I got $8500 for me 93 coupe w/d16z6.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (93hatched_projekt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hatched_projekt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious, What insurance company do you have? last year My car got ripped off and my insurance company (usaa) paid for a good amount of what I put in. Maybe I just got lucky? I showed them ever receipt for everything that was done to the car to get a higher value.............I got $8500 for me 93 coupe w/d16z6.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you got damn lucky. I have lost over $25,000 in the past 4 years due to car thiefs. My previous insurance company *cough*state farm*cough* decided they like to **** people over who modified their cars. They paid me 13 cents to the dollar for my mods on both of my stolen cars. My new insurance company, which I searched very hard for, will not do this to me. Even though I pay more, I know all of my cars are actually now fully covered, hence the reason why I paid for full coverage in the first place. Insurance companies are just as bad as theives in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (JDMH22HATCH)

I hate State Farm..
Old 02-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (WongFeihung)

I have Nationwide (have till May) they suck, oh well atleast my car is totally finished now. I got my new CTR headlights, FI hood. You guys think it will be hard for me to get another insurance company.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i feel so happy to know that my insurance is goverment run and are decent to deal with. when someone hit my car and they were thinking about writing it off i told them how much money i had into it and tehy decided to fix it instead. some people wouldnt want that but i did.

good luck though/
Old 02-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (jameskersten1)

How did they find out? I have Nationwide and haven't had any problems. Then again they probably think my car is still stock? They would probably **** themselves if they ever saw it.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (EKhatch)

yea, they would **** themselves if they saw mine too, well about 2 months ago I hit a deer only damaged the hood and headlights. So I got them replaced CTR and FI style. I had all that before so I told them they need to replace the parts as they were.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah id like to learn more about insurance companies i need to find a good one. anyone have anymore inputs about companies? or some on just theft coverage i cant afford full.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (dash_0n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dash_0n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah id like to learn more about insurance companies i need to find a good one. anyone have anymore inputs about companies? or some on just theft coverage i cant afford full.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually its hard to find a place that will only give you liability, theft, and vandalism. Since some of these have to tie in with full coverage. If you find a place that can prorate everything and actually give that to you, then jump on it. Maybe its just a messed up Texas thing. Truthfully, if I were you, try to do whatever you can to get full coverage. Even though it sucks, if you pay more per month, then the more they will prolly cover in the end. If you're worried about the cost per month, then play around with your deductable to try and get it within your spending range.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my insurance got pissed when I handed them a folder that was about 1.5 inches thick with reciepts. the value of my car went up something like 35% according to them. The adjuster had no choice but not to total it at that point.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GEICO BIAAAAAAATCH
Old 02-13-2004, 07:32 AM
foz

when shopping for insurance it is important that the ins. co knows that you have so much invested into your car, you may end up paying more, but some companies will not cover anything but factory replacement without special "rider" policies, if you have no idea what I am talking about then call your insurance agent, it is your responsibilty to inform the insurance company that your car is anything but stock, other wise they can refuse the value of any aftermarket (doesn't mean they won't) so anyone that has lost money from insurance companies not paying, if they didn't inform the insurance company that they were covering anything but a stock car, it is their own fault.......
Old 02-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (foz)

state farm
Old 02-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (silverEH2)

I have State Farm and very happy with them I own 6 hondas and a jeep 4 of the hondas are heavily modified from body to engine and all they ask from me is to keep all receipts for upgrades and a picture of when i first insure it my jeep is also modified lift kit bolt ons etc.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (JDMH22HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Insurance companies are just as bad as theives in my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE> Agreed, but it is a business... Nothing personal. They gotta make money too.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (GARBhatch.)

state farm is the worst insurance company..they only like old people ....progressive dosent care if your car is modifed (my agent has a 93 supra hes in the process of painting it top secrete gold)
Old 02-13-2004, 09:10 AM
foz

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (Grip Driver)

State farm has taken great of me an my wife...
tree fell on back of old Jeep, 4500 damage- rental, no deduct
all three times broken into no hassle
1st passenger's front window smashed--fixed no hassle, same day
2nd (after move) took 4 10's, fiberglass box and amp- check received in 3 days
3rd small window on back door smashed -- fixed no hassle same day

and rates have never gone up.....
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 AM
foz

Default Re: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications... (silverEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silverEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">state farm </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had insurance through the following
AIG
Leader
Progressive
Chubbs
USAA
State Farm
Erie
Liberty mutual
and two no names I can't remember

I've been dropped by Chubbs and USAA ( I almost double the amount of points allowed in PA before I turned 17 - and in the last 12 years I have only been able to keep my license for about 6 or 7 years when added togethor, the last three is the cleanest my license has ever been)

USAA the best, just expensive
State Farm is the one I would always recommend (wife's had them for 9 yrs now)
State Farm
Old 02-13-2004, 09:26 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF hood and CTR lights are performance mods... Well slap me silly.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think auto insurance is the biggest scam. Not that I think its a bad Idea, I just dissagree with how most companies to things. I have also had some bad dealings with State Farm. I don't think your insurance should go up unless it's actually costing them money, for example I don't see why you should get bumped up for minor traffic offenses like speeding tickets. Isn't paying for the ticket the point? They rip you off by "guessing" how well you will drive. Think about it, thats crazy, what if everyone did this? I think, just like everything in life, you should be judged by what you do not by what you MIGHT do. What a crock.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when shopping for insurance it is important that the ins. co knows that you have so much invested into your car, you may end up paying more, but some companies will not cover anything but factory replacement without special "rider" policies, if you have no idea what I am talking about then call your insurance agent, it is your responsibilty to inform the insurance company that your car is anything but stock, other wise they can refuse the value of any aftermarket (doesn't mean they won't) so anyone that has lost money from insurance companies not paying, if they didn't inform the insurance company that they were covering anything but a stock car, it is their own fault....... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree. also
stop making my insurance premiums from going up because you decided not to tell your insurance company about your mods until it got stolen, forcing them to dish out more cash on your ****... while paying a lower overall insurance rate. making others pickup the tab down the line...

j/k i dont really give a ***. insurance company are crooks. i just hope when my stuff gets stolen i can reap the benefits from my fellow insurers too...

Old 02-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">State farm has taken great of me an my wife...
tree fell on back of old Jeep, 4500 damage- rental, no deduct
all three times broken into no hassle
1st passenger's front window smashed--fixed no hassle, same day
2nd (after move) took 4 10's, fiberglass box and amp- check received in 3 days
3rd small window on back door smashed -- fixed no hassle same day

and rates have never gone up.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but that is somebody breaking into the car a stealing stuff. Have you ever actually had a car completely stolen and left as just a fucked up frame in a ditch? Thats when they screw you. Because they are no longer just replacing parts that you put into the car. They are now having to replace everything and it switches over to the replacement value of the vehicle. It sucks, but its just the way it is.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did they find out? I have Nationwide and haven't had any problems. Then again they probably think my car is still stock? They would probably **** themselves if they ever saw it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i've had Nationwide since i started driving.
they fully covered my first claim for a break-in in my car.in 97,thieves took over $5k worth of Clarion,PPI,Boston and JL speakers/electronics.i didn't even still have the receipts for a couple of the items-just pictures of everything installed.they replaced everything with either the same new product,or the newest equivalent if the original wasn't available any longer.i actually ended up with about $6k worth of stuff,all brand new.needless to say,i was very happy!
my 2nd claim was for hitting a deer and running off the road into a sign in late '99.the estimate was for over $4k from the body shop i chose.Nationwide replaced all the needed body panels with OEM Honda parts,and replaced all my aftermarket parts also-C/F hood,two CPRs and tires and my WW chin spoiler.they did pro-rate the value of the aftermarket parts based on age(they ended up paying about 70% of the original cost of the parts).in the end,i didn't have to pay anything out of pocket to cover any of the damage(except my deductible of course).i ended up buying a couple other body panels(that were damaged before the wreck)and adding another $500 to get the whole car changed to New Formula Red.only original body panels left are the roof and passenger quarter panel.
....i do pay a little more with Nationwide,but they've ALWAYS been great to me.
chris
Old 02-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a dumb question, but i honestly dont know. Say my car gets stolen, would they reimburse me for the cost of my motor (see sig), or perhaps any modifications? I mean i guess it sound like they would fromt original post but a cf hood is a bit different then a $4650 motor.

Quick Reply: Insurance Dropped ,becasue of modifications...