Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance

i fucked up and crashed my '01 ex. my insurance is gonna expletive me after this, i want to fix the body damage and just get rid of this for an older car with cheaper insuance rates. What will get me cheap insurance? Is there a big difference between EG/EK gen's, and also is there a diff. between individual years or just gens? please help
Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: insurance (hondaPINK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaPINK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i fucked up and crashed my '01 ex. my insurance is gonna expletive me after this, i want to fix the body damage and just get rid of this for an older car with cheaper insuance rates. What will get me cheap insurance? Is there a big difference between EG/EK gen's, and also is there a diff. between individual years or just gens? please help </TD></TR></TABLE>

A better driving record and age. However, typically the older and lower model the car, the cheaper the insurance costs.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: insurance (hondaPINK)

sometimes newer cars are cheaper because of the safety features.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance (lilhondagirl)

i wouldnt figure that..
Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell ya first hand it has NOTHING to do with the saftey features in a car, my GTI has 6 air bags and full crumple zones (all 4 sides) and it's ranked the same as a mustang on insurance...

The only way you can lower your driving record is to get points off if (take the safe drivers course), or wait the 19 months for an accident to be removed from your insurance records (and no switching insurance companies will not get rid of it), it stays in the DMV for 14 months or something like that, then the points come off automatically, so does the accident, but as for your insurance, it stays on ur insuance rec for 19 or 24 (forgot which)....Only thing I can tell ya is if ur in a city mode, don't go with geico because they have fair (not good, fair) prices, but when it comes to paying out, they're the worst company I've ever delt with, they will fight you tooth and nail not to pay out...ESPECIALLY if it's your fault...

As he said, it usually has to do with speed, the faster your car can go the higher your insurance rates are...the lower the model, meaning the less it WOULD cost to fix it IF you got into an accident (usually the lower the year) the lower your insurnace would be..

So take the 2004 impala for example, it's a POS, starts at like 14k brand new or some stupid **** like that, so parts are prolly real cheap, so it's probably low, but wait, it's got a V6 3.0, so it can probably do 120 or so before the governor shuts it off or slows it down, so that jacks up the insurance..

There's somethign called the insurance symbols, every car has a symbol, the symbol system is basically a rating from 1 - 24, my probe's a 13, my civic's a 16, my dad's jetta's a 16, my GTI's a 21..

Those are SET symbols, they NEVER change (well they might change if the generation changes, like I'm sure the 91/92 civic diff prolly changed, but usually the year doesn't even change the symbol, unless they change the drive train or the engine size)

So it's based on your record + your symbol, so a weak and old car would give you a low symbol, but your driving record can still *** ream you...

If you want you can PM me or instant msg me on AIM, unfortunetely (or fortunetely, take your pick) I have extensive knowledge of title and insurance systems, so hit me up if you got any specific questions..

EDIT TO WHAT HXVTEC SAID:
That's the other thing that it has to do with, age, from 16-23 you have what's called an unsafe drivers fee, I think they readjust your rate when your 19 and 21 though, but that's per insurnace company, from those years you have extra money tacked on due to assumed inexperience, if you get into an accident in these years, your insurance goes up higher than it would a 24 year old, who's not in those years.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance (lilhondagirl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilhondagirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sometimes newer cars are cheaper because of the safety features.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was going to say.

im 22 i was paying $250 for a 97 hx. it all depends on age, driving history, car(depending on if its a coupe or not b/c supposedly a coupe is considered a sports car with my insurance com )
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

good advice thanks*

any ideas what components make for less insuarance? ive heard: older car, hatch is cheaper than 4 dr and 4 dr is cheaper than coupe, slower car obvi....

??
Old 04-15-2006, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaPINK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaPINK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good advice thanks*

any ideas what components make for less insuarance? ive heard: older car, hatch is cheaper than 4 dr and 4 dr is cheaper than coupe, slower car obvi....

??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Older car is true, 4 door is lower than coupe which is lower than hatch (I'm pretty sure hatch is most expensive, then coupe, but it could be vice versa, either way, 4 door's the cheapest) (they still stick with the idea that coupes/hatches (2 doors..) are faster than 4 doors), but the difference between the types will be low.....really low....

You can take a safte drivers course, that'll lower your insurance, think you can do it once every three years (or something to that effect), think it takes 10% off your highest premium, not positive though, and I"m sure every test differs, and I'm sure it's different in most states, and I'm sure it's different per insurnace company, but the concept's sound..
Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 2:34 PM 11/16/2006
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 AM

if u want cheap insurance stay away from honda... all those lil ricer kids race and crash and sometimes kill thats y insurance is so high compared to other cars
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want cheaper insurance and still want a honda, get an older 4 door accord. Your rates should go down dramatically. When I switched from my 4 door 1990 accord to a 2000 Civic SI, the rates went up $400/6 months. I did some research and found out that it's the entire Civic line that has higher insurance....not just the year or trim level. They really dont give a crap about the safety features...it's more about the type of person who drives the car. Civics are for younger, poorer, more wreckless people I guess. Accords are more of a family car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True dat...

I think it might have changed since like, honda's trying to make everything (like the 2005 models) a civic 4 door family car.....but I'm not sure....but yeah, ur right about all dat..

As for this..:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1SIKEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u want cheap insurance stay away from honda... all those lil ricer kids race and crash and sometimes kill thats y insurance is so high compared to other cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh..no...insurance rates aren't adjusted by how many people get into accidents with that car, they're adjusted by how fast the car is, how liable it is to get into an accident which gives the insurance symbol, combine that with your driving record + age, and you got yourself a premium..
Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

accords i dunno...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaPINK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaPINK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">accords i dunno...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, said it was efficient, not my choice :-P
Old 04-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....it's the entire Civic line that has higher insurance....not just the year or trim level. They really dont give a crap about the safety features...it's more about the type of person who drives the car. Civics are for younger, poorer, more wreckless people I guess. Accords are more of a family car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am sure theft rates for individual cars come into play also.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only way you can lower your driving record is to get points off if (take the safe drivers course), or wait the 19 months for an accident to be removed from your insurance records (and no switching insurance companies will not get rid of it), it stays in the DMV for 14 months or something like that, then the points come off automatically, so does the accident, but as for your insurance, it stays on ur insuance rec for 19 or 24 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang, must be nice. In my provice tickets stay on for 36 months, insurance claims I think are either 60 or 72 months. Get in an at fault accident when you are 18....well you are not going to drive for a long time.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 19 driving a 97 ek hatch dx, Liability Under my moms insurance is 138 / month lol...... Maybe a eg would be lower but i think its all the same. Theft out the *** thats why its high.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: insurance (HXvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(depending on if its a coupe or not b/c supposedly a coupe is considered a sports car with my insurance com )</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 Door coupes are with most companies.

I got liability and Glass(lotsa glass in a hatch) on my 95 EG under my mothers policy, I pay 100$ roughly. Used to be 80, then rates changed for no reason.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance (Hondaciv95VX)

Theft
Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Insurance on my 94 Honda Civic Ex is $80 per month full coverage under my dads name(AAA), but because im pullin a 3.0 in school the rates dropped for my dad... i unno how that werks. laff

- Currently Lookin For A Turbo Kit
Old 04-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dang, must be nice. In my provice tickets stay on for 36 months, insurance claims I think are either 60 or 72 months. Get in an at fault accident when you are 18....well you are not going to drive for a long time.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's how it worked, my bad, ur right

it's like 19 months that it stays in teh DMV's record, you can't get over X ammount of points on ur licnese within 19 months or it gets pulled -- but yeah, it stays in the insurnace for 36 months, word, and yeah, it does suck, I know
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're getting a lot of misconception type answers. there's way a lot of different factors that is calculated in your insurance premiums. tickets and accidents are charged up to 3 years. but there's also with most companies a 5 year good driving discount. which would get you a discount if you have had no accidents within 5 years. also, if it was a small accident, it may not even affect your rates. just have to find out from your insurance company what that amount would be.

there isn't really hierarchy of if a 4 door is cheaper than a 2 door is cheaper than a hatch. each car gets a symbol which depicts how likely the car is to be stolen, and what the replacement cost would be if the vehicle is damaged. i've seen a 97 integra ls cost more than a 2000 mercedez c230 just because the likely hood of the integra to be stolen is so high.

but if you are just getting liability only, your rates would be the same regardless of the car. the type of vehicle only factors in when you have comprehensive and collision coverage, or what most people will call "full coverage"