Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift

I just purchased an alarm system with a remote start.
Is it possible to use it on a stickshift? And how do you do so?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (BlackEK4coupe)

It's possible.

Are you installing this?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (t0p_sh0tta)

no, i just paid alot of money for it so i would like to have it professionally installed
Old 05-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buying something before you know if it will even work, FTW lol
Old 05-26-2006, 06:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lol....true
Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some starters only work on autos and some are meant for manuals, make sure u have the right one, some have it as a one time change. clip a wire and ur stuck with it.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER leave it in gear. If you forget and go to start it one morning, that bitch will hop accross the parking lot or driveway or whatever.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:44 AM

good luck on this one, every remote start fine print will say manual + remote start = dumb idea
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is possible my friend has it...

make sure its a manual start, like everyone else is saying and also, it is possible, if it dosent work (cuz the whole clutch thing) then just disconnect your starter clutch sensor, and twist one wire to the two outlets... it dosent hurt the car at all, i made sure with 2 extremly professional mechanics...
my sensor went out and i had to jerry rig it like that for a week... but i also didnt have a remot starter, good luck
Old 05-26-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (axtran)

most professional installers will not install it for you since its illegal on a manual.

That being said, its not hard to make it work. You have to jump the clutch switch so that your car thinks the clutch is always in. after that, the rest of the install is the same as an auto. Don't leave your car in gear, and always pull the ebrake just in case. The only time a car will jump forward is if its in gear and the ebrake isn't up. Your ebrake is more than capable of holding the car stationary with only the starter pulling against it.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 AM

ohhh for crying out loud people,

Its perfectly legal to install a remote starter on a manual transmission car.

You must however purchase a remote starter made for a manual transmision car.
The way these are different is, mine for example forces me to leave the car out of gear to start it. What I have to do park the car, leave it in netural, set the parking brake tap the brake pedal twice, and finally turn off the key switch. Now the motor continues to run untill I exit the car and shut the doors. The car will now remote start. Now if I open the doors or do anything of that short I have to go thro the process again to make sure the car is in fact in netural. Its a royal pain in the *** belive me but it beats taking the chance of the car being left in gear.

Its an Autostarter by the way. (The brand I used)

Finally to wire it simple connect it to the starter wire AFTER the clutch safety relay! No jerry rigging anything, you leave the safety in place for normal starting and the remote starter can start the car no proplem.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just go to a local stero alarm shop and they will be more than happy to take your money and install it for a manual for you. just don't go to those big retail stores cause they will say NO!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ohhh for crying out loud people,

Its perfectly legal to install a remote starter on a manual transmission car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is illegal in most states, unless the alarm is made for a manual, which I doubt the OP's is. There aren't many remote starts designed for MT cars. It goes back to a lawsuit in California where a MT car hit someone in a parking lot cause the car was in gear and no ebrake pulled. The person who got hit sued the alarm installer and won.

I have a regular (non MT specific) remote start alarm on mine. I specifically tested it in gear with the ebrake up, and the car squats for a second and that's it.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it works on sticks....my roomate has one on his DA and i might be getting one soon....just to look koo...haha...when you get it installed you need to sign a document...
Old 05-26-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The only time a car will jump forward is if its in gear and the ebrake isn't up. Your ebrake is more than capable of holding the car stationary with only the starter pulling against it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhhh WRONG. ebrake isnt as strong as a gear would be. besides, its like dropping the clutch with ebrake up your car will still move and this is at 1-2000rpm once you start the car not 5000rpm. its not enough torque to spin the tires. trust me i know one morning i was sleeping i had the car in first w/ebrake and it hit the car in front of me. also another time i only had ebrake and in the morning the car moved half a length on LEVEL SURFACE. ALWAYS PUT YOUR CAR IN GEAR, expletive AUTOSTART LAZY BASTARDS
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda Civic DX Guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Civic DX Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...ALWAYS PUT YOUR CAR IN GEAR, expletive AUTOSTART LAZY BASTARDS</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't leave my car in gear unless I'm on a SERIOUS incline. Service your brakes, and turn the wheel towards the curb when you're on an incline and you're good to go. Remote start is the **** when it's 10° outside and there's 10" of snow on the ground.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: (Honda Civic DX Guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Civic DX Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhhh WRONG. ebrake isnt as strong as a gear would be. besides, its like dropping the clutch with ebrake up your car will still move and this is at 1-2000rpm once you start the car not 5000rpm. its not enough torque to spin the tires. trust me i know one morning i was sleeping i had the car in first w/ebrake and it hit the car in front of me. also another time i only had ebrake and in the morning the car moved half a length on LEVEL SURFACE. ALWAYS PUT YOUR CAR IN GEAR, expletive AUTOSTART LAZY BASTARDS</TD></TR></TABLE>

then its a good thing all your ebrake has to do is hold back the starter when you are remote starting, which is no where near as powerful as a running motor. Next time, before you jump to flaming someone, stop and think about what you're about to type.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM

I've had a remote starter on my car for almost a year. Best money I've ever spent! Especially on those cold winter days....you will wonder why you didn't put on in earlier.

DAN
Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 AM

I work at circuit city and we "don't " work on manual cars when it comes to manual cars remote start.....you will have to find someone on the side to do it for you, I have seen it done, its possible, you have to jump the clutch...everything is the same as automatic, but you must be sure you don't leave it in gear, but thats obvious haha.......
Old 05-26-2006, 09:46 AM

I have one on my EG. Hardly ever really use it. Just dont leave it in gear and try to start it. Thats what I did. Came walking around the coner and there my car was, Up on the curb with the bumper smashed into the wall. Thank god I didnt mess up the car, just the paint.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (aeboync)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whatever you do, do NOT EVER leave it in gear. If you forget and go to start it one morning, that bitch will hop accross the parking lot or driveway or whatever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

happen to me
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (JDM_EM1)

So much misinformation in this thread

Remote start on a m/t car is perfectly legal providing you have an alarm that is equipped to do so safely, such as the avantguard5, some compustar models, etc etc.

It is also perfectly safe with said alarms, as there is no way to set up remote start while the car is in gear.

To the original poster: what alarm did you buy?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (a_s_ol_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_s_ol_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is also perfectly safe with said alarms, as there is no way to set up remote start while the car is in gear.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^So true. It has to be in neutral to activate it. Steps to activate it 1)Keep clutch and brake in, 2) pull E brake up, 3)turn car off (it will keep running), 4) Take foot off brake and clutch, 5) get out of car 6) shut the door, car shuts off automatically

If you were to put it in first and try to activate it ...it wouldn't work? The car will stall on step (4). I tried it on my car to see. Remote starter won't activate unless its in neutral....PERIOD!

DAN
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM

i had one on my teg, but i ALWAYS park it in neutral....however my husband likes to leave it in first gear and he thought he was going to show off for some friends and be cool......and lets just say the car drove off without him......doesnt make you look too cool. so if you're in the habit of leaving it in neutral go ahead and have it installed....youll have to bribe the auto stereo man cause its actually illegal to have it installed...but otherwise leave it alone.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift (modifyORdie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by modifyORdie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you're in the habit of leaving it in neutral go ahead and have it installed....youll have to bribe the auto stereo man cause its actually illegal to have it installed...but otherwise leave it alone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop spreading misinformation

Quick Reply: Installing Remote Start On A Stickshift