Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installing Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Pistons

I have tried everything....im new to all of this...and i cannot seem to get the pistons and rods back into my block...anyone got any tips?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Installing Pistons (bmiller17)

I usually use an oil wrench, it saves me from having to buy another tool and usually works great. Those piston rings can be tricky.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:24 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Pistons (Pavix)

I don't even wonna know what you did because it prolly isn't going to run right, just because you don't know how to put the pistons back in the block.

Please share with us why you can't put pistons back in the block.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well..2 big of pistons for cylinder..or viseversa...(spell check) ..or if u can get them untill the rings..then..get a piston ring compresser.. ..other then that..idk -_^..wha else could it be? lol
Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing Pistons (WhiteOut)

You DO have a ring compressor right?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Installing Pistons (Djaric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djaric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You DO have a ring compressor right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope he does lol....
Old 03-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Installing Pistons (sohc'd upEJ8)

who needs a ring compressor when you have 2 hands??

I just played with them for awhile, trying to compress the rings and i just had to do them one at a time and it was pretty simple after that
Old 03-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who needs a ring compressor when you have 2 hands??

I just played with them for awhile, trying to compress the rings and i just had to do them one at a time and it was pretty simple after that</TD></TR></TABLE>

oooooh man. Did you stagger the gaps?<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't even wonna know what you did because it prolly isn't going to run right, just because you don't know how to put the pistons back in the block.

Please share with us why you can't put pistons back in the block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who needs a ring compressor when you have 2 hands??

I just played with them for awhile, trying to compress the rings and i just had to do them one at a time and it was pretty simple after that</TD></TR></TABLE>

And there go the ring lands, cylinder walls, and prolly rings with that. No ring compressor ah?

Ok lets assume that you got everything in with rings staggered and nothing broken, I still wonna know how you got the oil control ring in?

And let me guess you didn't gap the ring end gap niether? How about honing the cylinder walls? This sounds like it's going to be a total boom. Are you sure that you put the pistons in the right way too, they do have to face one way you know.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Installing Pistons (ABK)

yeah i know they go a certain direction

also why would i have to hone the cylinder walls??
Old 03-20-2006, 05:24 PM

I'm new to all of this....basically its all learn as i go...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know they go a certain direction

also why would i have to hone the cylinder walls??</TD></TR></TABLE>

So there arent scores or (scratches) on the cylinder walls that could upset proper ring sealage.....Pretty much just cleans your cylinder walls up....If you feel ridges in your cylinder walls thats not good.....
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM

ah i see, thats understandable......this engine wont be in long...just until i get a new motor...the reason i took this engine out was b/c i had a bent rod...but the rod had chipped into the cylinder wall....yes i know, its gonna burn a sh*t ton of oil... but i need a car to drive...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:58 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc’d upEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So there arent scores or (scratches) on the cylinder walls that could upset proper ring sealage.....Pretty much just cleans your cylinder walls up....If you feel ridges in your cylinder walls thats not good.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. By honing you put a crosshatch on your cylinder walls. That lets the rings sit in. If you don't do this, you will get blowby. Also if you don't set ring end gap you will prolly end scorring your cyliderwalls really bad and get crazy blowby. If you don't stagger the rings you will get blowby. I suggest you pull this all apart and redo it. But before that get a manual on rebuilding motors or just take it to the machine shop. You will save yourself money in the long run.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ah i see, thats understandable......this engine wont be in long...just until i get a new motor...the reason i took this engine out was b/c i had a bent rod...but the rod had chipped into the cylinder wall....yes i know, its gonna burn a sh*t ton of oil... but i need a car to drive...</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF??? what kind of engine is that? Rod chipped the cylinder wall? Well this engine is prolly going to blow up as soon as you start it up, if not then within 1000 miles. I bet you your crank and everything else got fucked up with it.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:41 PM

yeah man, i imagine that its all screwed...but i pulled pistons and rods out of another engine that i had and put them all in..... most likely i will pull this engine back out and wait till i get a new engine....will u explain to me how to set the gap and all that **** for future preference?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah man, i imagine that its all screwed...but i pulled pistons and rods out of another engine that i had and put them all in..... most likely i will pull this engine back out and wait till i get a new engine....will u explain to me how to set the gap and all that **** for future preference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you take a ring put inside the cylinder by itself push it down flat with a piston and you check the gap between one side of the ring to another. If it's too small you take special ring end filler and grind some off.

You got to put all the ring gaps facing different ways, this reduces chances of blow by because air doesn't have a straight way of getting past the gaps.

And whenever you put new rings in you got to hone the cylinder walls. This is done by spraying a light coat of oil on the walls, taking a drill with a honing attacment and going half speed up and down the cylinder walls. You want to get 35 degree to 40 degree crosshatch going. This will let the rings set. You got to wash the block out after you do that though. Then you need to go thru a break in so that you don't glaze up the cylinder walls.

And BTW you can't just pull rods out of another motor and slapping it on this one. You will need to measure the clearances, do the machine work if you need to and put correct bearings in it. You would prolly end up throwing a rod if you would mismatch bearings.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM

okay, thats not all that complicated....one of my buddies has the honing attatchment but like you said...its probably not gonna work with **** from another engine....that rod chipped both sides of the cylinder wall and i dunno if i could even bore it out enough to get rid of it...its that deep!! so i probably shouldnt even mess with this block..should i?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmiller17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay, thats not all that complicated....one of my buddies has the honing attatchment but like you said...its probably not gonna work with **** from another engine....that rod chipped both sides of the cylinder wall and i dunno if i could even bore it out enough to get rid of it...its that deep!! so i probably shouldnt even mess with this block..should i?</TD></TR></TABLE>

prolly not. Especially if it's a d series. You can get those everywhere.
It would take $1500 to bring that block back to life. New sleeves and all the machine work.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 PM

yeah, thats not even worth messing with. The engine i had in there was the D16Z6. Should i just try and find that same engine, or should i look for something else?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

instead of taking pistons and rods from an engine and putting them in a bad block just put the donor engine in?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: (hyperforming)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hyperforming &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">instead of taking pistons and rods from an engine and putting them in a bad block just put the donor engine in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i had thought about doing that...but...the donor engine is a Y8 and this engine is a Z6. How hard of a swap would it be? if its possible, i would do it...b/c the Y8 only has 63,000 miles on it
Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmiller17)

it's a direct bolt on, except you are going to use z6 engine harness, and you will need a dx obdI dizzy. And there is a small problem with IAT sensor. You could either get a y8 IAT sensor or just use a z6 IM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: (ABK)

The driver side engine mount isnt the same.....
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmiller17)

5 minute job to change it to a z6 block mount, lol.

Quick Reply: Installing Pistons