Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   installing coilover ? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/installing-coilover-997287/)

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 02:58 PM

installing coilover ?

i have gc coilover and need to install them, my problem is i dont really have enough time to do all four in a day. can install like the front one day w/out lowering them then install the back like in a week or two , then lower all 4? will it feel wierd when i drive it?

nonsense 09-20-2004 03:01 PM

Re: installing coilover ? (egcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have gc coilover and need to install them, my problem is i dont really have enough time to do all four in a day. can install like the front one day w/out lowering them then install the back like in a week or two , then lower all 4?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will it feel wierd when i drive it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes

mwieczorek43 09-20-2004 03:01 PM

not exzactly the "best" way to do a CO install.
But I suppose It'd work as long as they are installed correctly.
And yes, it'll feel "weird" youll have brand-new CO's. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Luserkid 09-20-2004 03:02 PM

You could put one in at a time each day if you wanted to. But the ride is going to be funky as hell. Have fun

bgoetz 09-20-2004 03:06 PM

I would not even risk it your car will need a 4 wheel alinement after you do the entire thing. Your car may be way out of alinement until you finish the job. Driving out of alinment with a car that has two different types of springs is not a good idea

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:07 PM

Re: installing coilover ? (Luserkid)

how will it feel? and dont say weird

Luserkid 09-20-2004 03:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how will it feel? and dont say weird</TD></TR></TABLE>

weird https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

Thats basically the best word to use for it. You could do it and it would just be a different stiffness to that size of the car that you put on.

If you put on both your fronts your front end could be stiffer then your back (sad could because i dont know what CO your getting). If you put the backs on they could be stiffer then the fronts. You get how that will work. So best answer..... weird.

Oh wait how about strange that better https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:14 PM

Re: installing coilover ? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sad could because i dont know what CO your getting
</TD></TR></TABLE>
ground control

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:15 PM

ive actaully had them sitting in my room for like 5 months. need to find time http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:23 PM

how will it handle on turns?

Marauder 09-20-2004 03:25 PM

Re: installing coilover ? (bgoetz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bgoetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Driving out of alinment with a car that has two different types of springs is not a good idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

WHY? People drive with wacked out alignment all the time, it will just not be good for tire wear, but that's about it. For a short-term, its fine to replace just some of the coilovers, and do the other ones in a week or so.

I've been driving my teg for about a month now after installing Koni's/GC setup and still haven't gotten an alignment, but I have a crapy set of tires that I don't care about on there. The new tires go on after the alignment!

Luserkid 09-20-2004 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how will it handle on turns?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When? When there all on or when there all mix and match?

Mix and match will feel worse then stock.

When there all in itll feel better then stock.

Tyson 09-20-2004 03:30 PM

its really not going to matter. it'd only be a problem if you mismatch left/right. the only issue as pointed out is having altered your alignment, and not fixing it. its kinda hit or miss on how much your lowering changes your alignment, whether sometihng like 2 weeks is going to wreck your tires. but i dont see how you couldnt finish the install of all 4 corners in one day. its really not that hard.

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:33 PM

Re: installing coilover ? (Tyson)

what tools would i need to do front and rear?

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:35 PM

also , do u have any pics of where to jack up the front and the rear

Tyson 09-20-2004 03:44 PM

ok, if youve never jacked your car up for even an oil change, perhaps you shouldnt do this yourself. if i was still living in norcal, id offer to help, but perhaps you should find someone to help you do this. someone i previosly helped swap suspension was offered $50 by some other ppl, i did it for free, but $50 aint so bad if you dont have the tools and know how. once youve seen it done once, its pretty easy. i literally had to do it in the dark once as i ran out of light outside, no big deal.

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:48 PM

well since ive had my car ive always done all my work at shool, where we have a lift. ive never used a floor jack to jack up my car. ive used the spare tire jack to change my tires thats about it, i have tools i just wanna know what i would need

Tyson 09-20-2004 03:55 PM

im sure its been covered in some other threads... but since im bored and being unproductive at work as it is...

standard 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets AND wrenches needed (actually just a 14mm box end wrench, but its a must. having the other sizes just helps if you alraedy have the sockets). most of the lower front suspension bolts are 17, while the rears are 14. the nuts at the top of the shock are 14mm. its better to have 1/2" sockets, some of the bolts can be tough the first time. a breaker bar is nice. plus a set of hex keys, you just need one size for the top of the shock, but i dont know what it is. a spring compressor you can rent from, you need the "2 piece" variety. you CAN get away with not using a spring compressor by disassembling the shock with it installed in the car, then jacking the car up, but i dont recommend it if you dont have a nice jack and know what youre doing first.

how you jack your car depends on what jack you have available. you have a lot of options on where to jack and place the jackstands. i like to put my jackstands at the factory points on the rocker, shown on the stock scissor jack. however i really hope you have a better jack than that. but honestly, i think you can figure it out... theres one place i do NOT recommend to jack from, or put a jack stand, and its the front tow hooks. they seem sturdy, but any side load will make them bend. i know this from experience.

Kyles ej1 09-20-2004 03:57 PM

thanks alot, hopefully ill get to it this weekend.