Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed new dizzy....is my timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new dizzy....is my timing off?

Link to my orginal problems: http://www.tamparacing.com/for...18491

Me and a friend got my new dizzy wired in today and installed. Started up on the first turn. I was so ******* nervous it's insane. Question...I moved the cam ever so slightly when I installed the dizzy, would this have thrown off the timing? I installed the top screw dead center in the slot. I drove it around the block and something just felt off. When I got back I popped the hood and looked around and I noticed that the motor seemed really hot..especially given tonights temperature and a 5 minute test drive. I'm guessing the timing might be slightly off causing it to run a little hot maybe...I dont know.

I read in my Haynes manual how to adjust the timing but it doesn't quite make sense. I'm supposed to look @ some mark on the one of the belts and match it up with a timing gun or some **** like that? It's pretty confusing. It will probably make more sense when I actually do it.

But regardless, it runs. Thank God.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installed new dizzy....is my timing off? (spectacle)

You can't really mess up the installation of the dizzy... at least I never really thought it to be possible. The slot in the distributor has a slight slant in it so you can't install it backwards. Most of them do, I don't know about yours.

Your timing could be slightly off but considering that everything is running properly, then it may not be way off. You should definitely check the timing so that it wouldn't cause prolonged damage. For that you'll need a timing light. You need to wait for your engine to be at operating temp. and you need to jump the service connector (the one close to the ecu). If you're not sure how to do this, you should probably wait for your mechanic to feel better so that he could give you a hand.... plus he probably has a timing light.