Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed a jdm civic ex transmission and now my shifter leans to the left!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon6 Installed a jdm civic ex transmission and now my shifter leans to the left!

I just installed the transmission in my eg sedan and now the shifter is leaning to the side.
So I can't go into first or second gear.

The transmission is a S40 P4A B000.

Does this mean I need a new shift linkage?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed a jdm civic ex transmission and now my shifter leans to the left!

make sure its not bent...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Installed a jdm civic ex transmission and now my shifter leans to the left!

You did something wrong. Or theres something seriously internally wrong with your tranny (though for the life of me I can't think of anything that would cause what you're describing)
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are the mounts OK? If one is really bad it could lean. Otherwise someone probably dropped the tranny and bent the shifter!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I'm using the same mount from my old tranny so it should be fine.
If anything I might be able to cut the shift linkage and have it welded in the right position....
But I'll consider that the last resort.

I searched the S40 model number on the tranny and found it's for 96-00 civics....do the 96+ civics have a different shift linkage than the 92-95?
Or maybe I need a transmission mount from a 96+?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what? jdm leans to the right? lol, you got scammed.. lol j/king make sure ur linkage is on correctly.. can you go thru all gears?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you use a bolt instead of the bitch pin?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fryman
Yea I'm using the same mount from my old tranny so it should be fine.
If anything I might be able to cut the shift linkage and have it welded in the right position....
But I'll consider that the last resort.

I searched the S40 model number on the tranny and found it's for 96-00 civics....do the 96+ civics have a different shift linkage than the 92-95?
Or maybe I need a transmission mount from a 96+?
no u can use the same shift linkage even though its a 96+ your shift linkage probably got bent during ur tranny swap.. cant really think of anything else that would do that
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i found that it can go though all the gears,even 1st and 2nd but to get in those gears I have to lean the shifter so far to the left that it makes contact with the center console.

Yes I used the cotter pin.

I'll disconnect the shift linkage today and if I still can't figure it out I'll post pics.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may have reinstalled the linkage in upside-down. If not you bent it good. From 92-00 the D series transmissions are all interchangeable.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I found the problem!

Looks like the cotter pin hole is twister to the side just a little but when it gets to the shifter its a big problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking I might just cut the shifter linkage,twist it in the right position and weld it because I definitely don't want to have to take the tranny out and open it up to replace that rod!
If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Got traction
did you use a bolt instead of the bitch pin?
I'd like to bring this back up. OP, you keep saying you used a Cotter Key. That is not correct for this. Even using a bolt will cause your shift to flop sideways. I know this from personal experiance cause I had to use a bolt for a day while I waited on the bitch pin to come in from Honda. And it made it extremely hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear just like your describing. What you need to use is marked Number 28 in the following diagram. Technically called the "Spring Pin" but referred to as "Bitch Pin" by most of us Honda guys because usually its a BITCH to get out when you need to drop the shift linkage loose.

So what I am saying is. Are you for sure using the Spring Pin in that hole to attach the Shift Linkage to the Rod on the Tranny? If not, go order one and put it in before you start cutting on the linkage.

Sping Pin: Item Number 28

Old 11-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yea,sorry i thought it was also known as a cotter pin..
Yea I have the spring pin in it.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fryman
Oh yea,sorry i thought it was also known as a cotter pin..
Yea I have the spring pin in it.
Well damn, that sucks. Was hoping for a cheap and easy fix. When I used that bolt for a day my shifter looked exactly like yours..and it would just flop all over the place..I remember when I was in 5th..the shifter looked like it was in nuetral.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The spring pin should have resistance when installing it and if it doesn't either the pin is worn or the hole in the shaft coming from the trans is. Replace the pin see where that gets you.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leave work for the professionals :D<----
Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You cant put the linkage on a vice bench and twist it back to original?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you alter the linkage enough, its never going to work right again.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
If you alter the linkage enough, its never going to work right again.
Its true. The smartest thing to do is pull the tranny and replace the shift rod, which honestly isn't really all that hard to do. You can reuse the one from your old DX tranny.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Its true. The smartest thing to do is pull the tranny and replace the shift rod, which honestly isn't really all that hard to do. You can reuse the one from your old DX tranny.
Yea I was thinking of doing that because I want everything done right and the syncro on the third gear seems to be worn since it grinds a bit when I switch to third quickly so I could replace that at the same time.

But doing that would be a bitch since I just got everything put back together and then I would have to do it all over again!

Hey and second gear makes a winding noise when I'm in it....it sounds pretty sweet but is that a problem?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fastrxu
You cant put the linkage on a vice bench and twist it back to original?
I was also thinking about doing that but it's not bent.
When you look at the linkage when its connected to the tranny you can tell that the tranny is what has the problem because the linkage isn't level.

I could bend it anyway so that when it gets to the shifter it will be straight but I don't know....I hate jerry rigging things with my car.