Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed Headers, now sputter occurs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Headers, now sputter occurs...

I just installed some new DC headers an HI FLO cat on my 94 coupe other day... i have d15b motor... everythings ran fine an perfect until now, now when i start to accelerate my car sputters like blablablabla vroooooom blablabla vrooooom all throughout the acceleration of RPMs in each gear... it only does it when accelerating, when i let off the gas it goes away, but sometimes has a lil rough idle.... not throwing any CEL an everything else seems to be working fine... i cant tell if vtec is kicking in or not because my car is sputtering like a POS by the time it hits vtec so i have no clue.. im thinking maybe the aftermarket gasket that came with the headers is not a good one or something an is causing an exhaust leak.. does that sound like a possible answer to anyone..?? an does anyone have any other possible solutions... i've searched an all i came up with was check cap, rotor, dizzy, blabla, but then again people still say there car sputters after they replace all that so i figured before i spent 300 bucks in replacement parts maybe someone might know of a new fix for this issue or something else to check..???
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (JDM_SOHC)

Did you install a new exhaust gasket? It's a good idea to install a new one, don't use the old one... You could be leaking but Im not sure...
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it have a puh puh puh occasionally at idle??? if so you are running rich. mines doing the same thing and i cant figure it out either.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (Jack8788)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack8788 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you install a new exhaust gasket? It's a good idea to install a new one, don't use the old one... You could be leaking but Im not sure...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it came with aftermarket gasket but i couldnt get it to line up 100% but still seemed to work.. but now i just examined under my car... one of my fucI&lt;in bolts that was on there connecting the header to downpipe came off an there was about an 1/8" gap inbetween the header an downpipe so i stuck a regular screw in there with a nut to match an it stopped the problem a lot but still sputtering a lil tiny bit so im sure a lil bit of air is still escaping...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Check your af ratio.... if you had a small exhaust leak it wouldn't be very likely that you would be able to hear it at all... you can fine tune the afr on the throttle body, but other than that your gonna have to get your ecu tuned...you said you didn't get your gasket to line up 100% I don't think that would be enough to cause a spudder....they usually cover a little over what they need to. could be your header...i know with a dc header it will cause a little bit of a spudder. It did when i put one on for my girls sister...(on a supercharged gsr)Mine too n/a gsr. so i don't know. what kinda of header do you have?? good luck with it. sorry i can't cover more, tight on time
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn....haha i never heard anybody car do that becuase of a header hella weird
Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 PM

are you throwing any check engine lights?

maybe an o2 sensor
Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plug your o2 sensor back in.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (NesaiTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NesaiTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your af ratio.... if you had a small exhaust leak it wouldn't be very likely that you would be able to hear it at all... you can fine tune the afr on the throttle body, but other than that your gonna have to get your ecu tuned...you said you didn't get your gasket to line up 100% I don't think that would be enough to cause a spudder....they usually cover a little over what they need to. could be your header...i know with a dc header it will cause a little bit of a spudder. It did when i put one on for my girls sister...(on a supercharged gsr)Mine too n/a gsr. so i don't know. what kinda of header do you have?? good luck with it. sorry i can't cover more, tight on time</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant tune the air to fuel ratio at the throttle body
Old 03-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jamied)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jamied &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you throwing any check engine lights?

maybe an o2 sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

everything is plugged in an working properly... no CEL, no stalling, nothing like that... just a spudder everytime i accelerate... ill post a pic to help.... brb..
Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (Jack8788)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack8788 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you install a new exhaust gasket? It's a good idea to install a new one, don't use the old one... You could be leaking but Im not sure...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i did install a new gasket but when the bolt fell out that connects the downpipe to the header that section where the bolt fell out i can see the gasket an its all burnt an ****... so im sure its bad right..??
Old 03-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i hope this doesnt happen when i install my header/ test pipe/ exhaust
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you cant tune the air to fuel ratio at the throttle body</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look underneath where you hook on your intake...look right underneath it, theres a screw in there that will take a flat head....you can fine tune it...please don't speak unless you really know. thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it making like a clicking kinda noise..cuz that happened to me..

i put on the right donut gasket and got the flange rewelded on the cat so it bolted up perfect to the header
Old 03-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NesaiTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look underneath where you hook on your intake...look right underneath it, theres a screw in there that will take a flat head....you can fine tune it...please don't speak unless you really know. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so how does this "screw" fine tune the a/f ratio? All sensors on the throttle body deal with idle and changing that (with the exception of the map sensor) they do not deal with the air to fuel ratio.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so how does this "screw" fine tune the a/f ratio? All sensors on the throttle body deal with idle and changing that (with the exception of the map sensor) they do not deal with the air to fuel ratio.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't change the a/f it just adjust the idle.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NesaiTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look underneath where you hook on your intake...look right underneath it, theres a screw in there that will take a flat head....you can fine tune it...please don't speak unless you really know. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bwahahahahahahah you kid need to leave. that adjust the idle up and down. LMFAO
Old 03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (sohctodohc)

found it..!! well i guess it was just the right timing that i installed my new headers was it that 2 of my spark plug wires decided to become fried an croke on me lol... replaced plugs an wires, car runs great... thanks guys...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Trial User

HAHAHAHAHHAHA best post ever.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (aZnjCC)

Quote, originally posted by NesaiTuner »
Look underneath where you hook on your intake...look right underneath it, theres a screw in there that will take a flat head....you can fine tune it...please don't speak unless you really know. thanks.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA best post ever.

isnt it tho it just made it to my sig
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (2000r#0283)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000r#0283 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It doesn't change the a/f it just adjust the idle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i knew that i was being sarcastic, and to the noob who doubted me, how about you dont speak unless you really know, dumbass
Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">found it..!! well i guess it was just the right timing that i installed my new headers was it that 2 of my spark plug wires decided to become fried an croke on me lol... replaced plugs an wires, car runs great... thanks guys...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad you got it fixed. Same **** happend to me when my spark plugs went bad, so I was about to say spark plugs but I made sure to read the whole thread before .
Old 03-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Headers, now sputter occurs... (BlackHXCoupe)

i kno tell me about it haha.. i was havin a NOOb moment i guess lol we all have those from time to time...