Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed aftermarket clutch now car makes loud noise in neutral when clutch is out

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed aftermarket clutch now car makes loud noise in neutral when clutch is out

Not sure if this belongs in another section but I NEED HELP!!! I have a 93 civic with a 94 Integra LS motor. My clutch blew last week so I ordered a stage 2 clutch. It was installed over the weekend by my boyfriend. It came with new pressure plates, bearings, etc. So it all seemed to be going good until I drove off. I went about 50 feet and it wouldn't go anymore, then I put it in neutral and took my foot off the clutch and it started making a loud noise coming from the transmission. When I put the clutch in the noise goes away. I have looked this up a little bit and found alot of people saying it's a throw out bearing (or reverse bearing). Is this correct?? Also, I heard it could be a drive shaft and that you should always use OEM bearings with any aftermarket clutch?? Which in my case I didnt research until after this happened. Does anyone know if I'm on the right track or if there is any truth to this?? Any advice would help!! Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Installed aftermarket clutch now car makes loud noise in neutral when clutch is o

Sounds like an axle popped out of the differential.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Installed aftermarket clutch now car makes loud noise in neutral when clutch is o

I actually forgot to mention that when he took the axles out he found that the drive axle was no good. We ended up just replacing both axles with brand new ones from autozone. I know it shouldnt just pop out, but is that common with new ones? I'm hoping he just put it in the axle wrong and there was no damage done to the differential.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If during installation the axle is not fully inserted into the differential to lock the set ring, then the axle can pop out. This will be evident when you crawl under the transmission and check for a large gap between the axle CV joint and the transmission housing.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the typical input shaft bearing whirl
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM~CHIC423
I went about 50 feet and it wouldn't go anymore...

^This suggested to me that an axle popped out.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the response! Thought I should add that when we pushed my car back I had the wheel turned to the LEFT (which is the side the drive axle is on) and I heard a clicking noise. So now I think it may be the axle. I also just remembered when we bleed the clutch it was making a knocking noise in the tranny area. It only did that when the clutch was released. Then the noise went away after we kept bleeding it for a few minutes. I took off going straight and everything was fine. Then I turned right out of the driveway and that's when it stopped accelerating. Don't know if that helps narrow anything out.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you have the right axles... I'm pretty sure you need B series axles, not the EG's very-likely-D-series axles.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a new boyfriend ah ah ah...jkjk

How close is the fitment d vs b series axles? Would they even remotely work enough to move the car forward even 50 ft? Dumb question maybe I've just never seen someone try to jam the wrong axles in.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
Get a new boyfriend ah ah ah...jkjk

How close is the fitment d vs b series axles? Would they even remotely work enough to move the car forward even 50 ft? Dumb question maybe I've just never seen someone try to jam the wrong axles in.
passenger's side is pretty close IIRC, inner joints are smaller (different number of splines) driver's side axle is completely different, its like twice as long because there's no intermediate shaft on a D-series.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's impossible to mix up d and b driver side axles...passenger side is definitely possible...I wanna say a d series axle is slightly longer, inner splines are smaller, outer is identical.