Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

install cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install cams

I want to install new crower stage 2 cam,valves, and retainers but I dont know if I can do it or not. I can install an intake and exhaust, I know thats nothing but how difficult will this be or should I just get it done at a shop.
also can anyone tell me if this is all I need for this job or do I need more things, and if I were to do it would I be able to drive it to a tuning shop? my funds are limited and I wouldn't be able to afford to get it done at a shop I would have to wait longer
any help would be appreciated, thanks

Modified by gigidygigidy at 6:51 AM 10/26/2007
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: install cams (gigidygigidy)

id say pick up a helm's manual or something like it to pretty much guide you through it, especially if you haven't done it before and you aren't too confident about it - if you have the tools and can follow directions id give it a shot, if not just save up for a couple weeks and take it to a shop..and if you go that route, call a couple places to get prices and see what turns up
Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: install cams (Probot)

I know where l would get it done if I were to do that I just wont have more money until like after winter, I spent to much on my car lol . Do u think ill need any other parts cause the shop I went to was saying I need other stuff
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

couldn't tell ya, you may open up your motor and yea you may need to replace a couple parts that are just old..theres no real way to tell until you start working on it - which is a good reason to take it to a mechanic if you dont know what you're looking for and i dont know if a manual will point out how certain parts should look/need replacing.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you having any issues with your car like burning oil or anything? If not there really isn't much you need besides the actual parts to install, other than to seal the head up properly. Here would be my list:

Cams
spring/retainer kit
gasket kit (valve cover gasket, valve cover grommets, spark plug tube seals, cam seals...)
camshaft lube (should come with your kit)

For tools you need a torque wrench, valve spring compressor, keep a magnet stick handy (in case you drop a valve cotter), and if you have an air compressor you can get a fitting to put in the spark plug hole to pressurize the cylinder so the valves don't fall in after you remove the retainers. Do each valve one at a time completely so you don't have to come back to it again, and you don't have time to lose any of the little parts...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gunna need to do a valve adjustment for sure and you can use motor oil for the cam lube if it didn't come with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep in mind though that if you buy brand new cams they will soak up oil, assembly lube is better as it's thicker and will coat everything better and stay stuck to the parts. Also when you cool down the engine after 20-30 minutes of driving, do an oil change to flush out the lube and make sure you have full oil volume again.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Frankly I wouldn't do it if I were you...

If you've only done basic things before it's not the best idea to get into one of the most complicated things you can do...

I'm not saying it's THAT hard... but there's a lot to it.

I feel comfortable working on just about anything and I TOTALLY f'd up my install just out of fatigue and lack of concentration... ended up snapping a cam because I didn't align the 3rd rocker arm correctly on ONE of the cam journels.

Also unless you have a GOOD valve spring compressor that part becomes VERY unmanagable by yourself. If you have the right tools it's not so bad...

Also FYI I would pull the head to do it as opposed to doing it on the car... which adds a HG to the job but if you have it all that far apart anyway why not change it and the timing belt while your in there.

Anyway... it's not the biggest job in the world but it's DEFINATELY not an intake or exhaust.

I'd read through the helms manual and judge for yourself if it's something you think you can do.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: install cams (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also unless you have a GOOD valve spring compressor that part becomes VERY unmanagable by yourself. If you have the right tools it's not so bad... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Tru that...I got furious and packed my head up and took it to the shop to install it. Removal wasn't bad, but trying to install those tiny keepers while compression the stiff springs with the compressor I had wasn't happening.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: install cams (klungemonger)

thanks guys ill look into the helms manual and think about it a little more before I do anything, I might have someone who knows his **** help me out or something