Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection question

hey all so i bought my civic a lil while back from a guy and tok it through and failed for a modified exhaust and faulty hoodlatch so they gave me the 45 day grace period to get it fixed prob is i dont have the stock exhaust and cant get it replaced till tommorow earliest since tommorow is payday its been over the 45 days and i have the new latch i can get the exhaust but not for like two days after fixing this and take it back to inspection will they do anything about me being overdue? like do anything i mean write me a ticket or fine me or am i going to have to reregister my car?? any help would be apprieciated thanks....
P.s. i live in NJ if this helps any my car is registered and insured i only failed for the exhaust being to loud and having a defective hood latch
Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No they shouldn't care.

They should just do the test, pass or fail.

I suppose if they want to be rediculous about it they can call the police who can come and upon inspection of your vehicle issue you a ticket. Though that's highly unlikely.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

you dont think they will make me reregister the car?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

No dude just go. I live in NJ and i never came across a problem when i go late. And did you go to the DMV or private? because my civic passed with a tanabe exhaust lol. syndacate there is one or two cops who are at the dmv all day so that may happen.

p.s how the hell did you fail for a hood latch?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG8Master)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG8Master &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No dude just go. I live in NJ and i never came across a problem when i go late. And did you go to the DMV or private? because my civic passed with a tanabe exhaust lol. syndacate there is one or two cops who are at the dmv all day so that may happen.

p.s how the hell did you fail for a hood latch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't even think that there's 2. I don't think there's any bodyshops that'd be gay enough to do that anyway. Though theoretically it's possible.

He failed for a hood latch b/c that's a major saftey problem. If the hood pops up when ur going 80mph down the highway it creates a bit of a problem in the visual sense.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection question (Jhonny Ricer)

If they want to be ********* they can suspend your registration but highly doubt they will do that
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
a/k/a Jomo

I think you guys are confusing getting an inspection ticket and getting a state inspection done so he can register the car.

If the car received an inspection ticket (other then something that the officer at the DMV, who is only there like 3 days a week, can pass) the car has to be taken to an authorized state inspection station and certified. If if is not met in the allotted time, your registration can be suspended and if you get pulled over the cop will take the tag(s) right off your car.

What I believe the OG Poster is trying to do is just get his car inspected. Now around here if you go in and fail, it's 90 days to fix it and take it back. Now your car is not registered at this point, so what are they going to do to you? Nothing, you have no file with the MVA for this car because you haven't registered it yet because you can't. The grace period is how long you have to come back and have the failed components rechecked. After the grace period, you must simply pay for another state inspection. That's it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection question (Mr Hammond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you guys are confusing getting an inspection ticket and getting a state inspection done so he can register the car.

If the car received an inspection ticket (other then something that the officer at the DMV, who is only there like 3 days a week, can pass) the car has to be taken to an authorized state inspection station and certified. If if is not met in the allotted time, your registration can be suspended and if you get pulled over the cop will take the tag(s) right off your car.

What I believe the OG Poster is trying to do is just get his car inspected. Now around here if you go in and fail, it's 90 days to fix it and take it back. Now your car is not registered at this point, so what are they going to do to you? Nothing, you have no file with the MVA for this car because you haven't registered it yet because you can't. The grace period is how long you have to come back and have the failed components rechecked. After the grace period, you must simply pay for another state inspection. That's it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either you're bad at reading or you don't live in NY/NJ (or possibly both).

He went to get it inspected and it failed because of the hood latch. He can get it re-inspected REGARDLESS of what the date is. Though if a cop pulls him over between the time his inspection expired and the time he got a new one he can give you a fix-it ticket in which case you have to go to a police station or DMV and get somebody to sign off on the ticket (or just pay the fine). Just take the damn car to get inspected. You'll be fine.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:28 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: inspection question (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Either you're bad at reading or you don't live in NY/NJ (or possibly both).

He went to get it inspected and it failed because of the hood latch. He can get it re-inspected REGARDLESS of what the date is. Though if a cop pulls him over between the time his inspection expired and the time he got a new one he can give you a fix-it ticket in which case you have to go to a police station or DMV and get somebody to sign off on the ticket (or just pay the fine). Just take the damn car to get inspected. You'll be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He bought a car and went to get it inspected. Yeah I get that. Well around here when you buy a car, in order to go into the MVA and get tags and registration, you have to have your title, proof of insurance and and an inspection certificate. Without one, you can't drive the car. If you want to pay for a 30 day temp tag you can, but kind of a waste. I guess that's why most people get there cars inspected around here before they sell them. NY/NJ must be different.

So say I buy a car in NY/NJ. I have the title signed over, I put insurance on it and have my policy number. What do you do from there? You can go in and get tags without an inspection and drive the car? Then if it doesn't pass, you get a waiver for so many days? Hmmm....
Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: inspection question (Mr Hammond)

ok so heres the storry
I bought the car from the previous owner and it was a PA car i got it registered to NJ as a NJ owner and it is registered after that they gave me the pink slip to put in the window wich gives you 2 weeks to take the car to a state authorized inspection station. So a week and a half later i took it down to the Motor inspection facility and had it run through it passed everything with fliying colors except for the hood release in the cabin of the car the plastic pull latch broke off so they failed it... and they failed my exhaust for being over 20 decfibls or something like that so it was a "modified exhaust" They gave me a number 8 and a rejected sticker on the front drivers side instead of a passed ispection sticker obviously and gave me the paper that stated what I failed for in the first place.

Now I got the release cable fixed so thats no issue i whent to honda and got the handle and cable assembly and replaced it. But the CX stock replacement muffler is 154.00 basically anywhere i went and i cant afford this really working at walmart but i went to a salvage yard and got a used one for like 20 bucks. but i dont have the money to spend really unt6il next paycheck im really tight on money right now to get it put on because the previous owner welded on the peice of crap auto zone dual outlet mufler on the the stock piping.. so i didnt get payed until today so i can have it done tommorow but than ill have been failed by the inspection station for the alotted 45 day grace period that it stated on the paper. Im now 6 days pass due from when it should have been sent through and am wondering if they will fine me or suspend my registration because if so thats going to really suck cause it cost me 2 hrs and 92 dollars to get the damn thing registered in the first place hope this clears a few things up
Old 10-06-2006, 02:48 AM
a/k/a Jomo

Wow, ok so you guys are pretty different. Why don't you just call the DMV or a local authorized station and ask them and go from there?