Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Input shaft wear (big deal?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Input shaft wear (big deal?)

Hey, just swapping my Dx tranny for a Si and the Si has some input shaft wear. It's not to bad but I am just wondering if it's a big deal. It's not like worn into it to bad but it has a little wear. Is this normal or will I have problems with the shift fork and throw-out bearing once I bolt it up and start driving it? Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problems down the road.

I say fix it before it gets bigger.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 PM

what kinda problems? mines dead
Old 04-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vg7z)

Well the thing is that it is only a small little spot where you can see it usually rubs and sit's. I don't know but it seems like normal wear. It slides smoothly over it, but it's still a wear mark. How would I go about fixing this if I would?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

Bump before bed.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Input shaft wear (Bond)

Posting a pict would help.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Input shaft wear (Big Red 211)

Do you mean the actual input shaft or the stationary shaft the fork and the throw-out bearing sits?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Input shaft wear (BatuKing)

That's what I was wondering too. A pict would be great to determine how bad it is.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Input shaft wear (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you mean the actual input shaft or the stationary shaft the fork and the throw-out bearing sits?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's it. Sorry guy's. Yes it's on the stationary one. I will get my moms diggy cam and snap some shots tomorrow. But it's on the stationary part. Is that just common wear and nothing to worry about?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 PM

It will make noise when you push in on the clutch and depending on how bad it is worn it will cause an uneven pedal effort, maybe binding, but that's only if it's really bad. The thing that causes that to wear really fast is using a metal sleave throw out bearing. If you can get a plastic sleave TOB then you would be better off. I used a metal one on my Talon and it lasted about 1 year before I was getting a really annoying noise when I was pushing in on the clutch.

But with all that said, it just depends on how bad it is already worn, but I'd fix it before you stick the tranny in just so it's one less thing you have to worry about.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Red 211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will make noise when you push in on the clutch and depending on how bad it is worn it will cause an uneven pedal effort, maybe binding, but that's only if it's really bad. The thing that causes that to wear really fast is using a metal sleave throw out bearing. If you can get a plastic sleave TOB then you would be better off. I used a metal one on my Talon and it lasted about 1 year before I was getting a really annoying noise when I was pushing in on the clutch.

But with all that said, it just depends on how bad it is already worn, but I'd fix it before you stick the tranny in just so it's one less thing you have to worry about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, it isn't that bad. You can see that it has been rubbing, but there is no groove. If I run my finger over it I cant tell it's even really there. It is a gradual slant to where it would sit. I'll get pics though tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody else have this or know what to do? Need all the advice I can get.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump before bed.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump guy's. Posting pics in an hour or two.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nah, it isn't that bad. You can see that it has been rubbing, but there is no groove. If I run my finger over it I cant tell it's even really there. It is a gradual slant to where it would sit. I'll get pics though tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>It will probably be fine.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Red 211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will probably be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

O.K.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM

whats the worst that can happen if u dont fix ur input shaft bearing problem?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the worst that can happen if u dont fix ur input shaft bearing problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Having a input shaft bearing problem would be cause of concern. Thanks for jacking my thread too. If you have a input bearing problem you prolly should throw it away unless your going to rebuild it . I know I would because when that blows up or just siezes things are going to go sour in a hurry.

Anyways, does anyone suggest I use a plastic throw-out bearing or should I stick with metal. I would feel better about using a metal one, because plastic is well, plastic . Anybody suggest one over the other?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 PM

He is actually talking about the throw out bearing. And read below to answer your question.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Red 211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will make noise when you push in on the clutch and depending on how bad it is worn it will cause an uneven pedal effort, maybe binding, but that's only if it's really bad. The thing that causes that to wear really fast is using a metal sleave throw out bearing. If you can get a plastic sleave TOB then you would be better off. I used a metal one on my Talon and it lasted about 1 year before I was getting a really annoying noise when I was pushing in on the clutch.

But with all that said, it just depends on how bad it is already worn, but I'd fix it before you stick the tranny in just so it's one less thing you have to worry about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Big Red 211)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Red 211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He is actually talking about the throw out bearing. And read below to answer your question.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he is talking about the throw out bearing then maybe he should learn what things are even called before he jack's a thread. In that case if it's bad you might wanna get it replaced.

Now back to my question. Anyways, does anyone suggest I use a plastic throw-out bearing or should I stick with metal. I would feel better about using a metal one, because plastic is well, plastic . Anybody suggest one over the other?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on. I need to know which bearing I should go with. Help?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plastic throw out bearing? ha ha you serious they make one? what after one try it destroys its self.

well anyway You need to get a metal one.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can some1 explain the systom differences bewteen a throw bearing failer and a shaft main bearing

mine it just all the sudden my clucth got really spongy and the clutch enages alot sooner and closer to the floor when u let it out. the clutch seems to hold fine and the car pulls fine. the clutch isnt slipping. also when i press the clutch in the annoying sound goes away. when i let it out it comes back

which 1 is it

I hope it just a throw out bearing and not the main shaft bearing cuz that means ill have to get the tranny rebuilt correct?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plastic throw out bearing? ha ha you serious they make one? what after one try it destroys its self.

well anyway You need to get a metal one.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yea they make those, and they work great. They are 'plastic sleeved' that means that only the center of the TOB is plastic. All that does is keep your tranny from getting a groove worn into it. I don't know if you Honda use them much but most people with a DSM will order a plastic TOB if there new clutch comes with a metal one. I think it's mostly cause most of us use a 2600-2900lbs pressure plate (I don't know what's common on a Honda) but it wouldn't hurt a thing.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: (mr2turbo007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr2turbo007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can some1 explain the systom differences bewteen a throw bearing failer and a shaft main bearing

mine it just all the sudden my clucth got really spongy and the clutch enages alot sooner and closer to the floor when u let it out. the clutch seems to hold fine and the car pulls fine. the clutch isnt slipping. also when i press the clutch in the annoying sound goes away. when i let it out it comes back

which 1 is it

I hope it just a throw out bearing and not the main shaft bearing cuz that means ill have to get the tranny rebuilt correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yea that sounds like your TOB is bad. Also is your clutch fluid low, leaking anywere? It might also just be because your clutch is getting worn out.

Quick Reply: Input shaft wear (big deal?)