Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Input on building a custom trans with oem parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Input on building a custom trans with oem parts

I have a 94 cx hatch with a y7 and a z6 trans. I dont have any explanation for it...but the motors kind of a freak and I ran 15.6 on my first day at the track with it. The z6/y8 trans is the shortest hydraulic sohc trans I can use...but the gears rival that of an ls and...well im just not satisfied. My goal is to have gears similar to a b16 trans...but I dont know whats compatible between different sohc trannies. Here's what I have at my disposal right now:

-the z6 trans in my car, the inout shaft bearing is starting to make noise, doesnt grind at all
-mint cx trans that was never beat on, but has 200,xxx miles on it and is very broken in (shifts like butter, sometimes without using the clutch) it was the original trans in my car

What im thinking:

1st: z6 first
2nd: cx first
3rd: z6 2nd
4th: cx 2nd
5th: z6 4th

However, I remember reading that the z6 trans gears werent interchangeable with z6 gears, so I was also thinking of picking up a dx trans for dirt cheap and doing:

1st: dx first
2nd: cx 1st
3rd: dx 2nd
4th:cx 2nd
5th: dx 4th

Alot of people talk about using zc gears...but I wouldnt know where to even get them let alone how the gears are. I know Bense knows a lot of about this stuff so if someone could direct him my way...thanks in advance. Im kind of doing this out of boredom of no projects/experimentation and I really wanna get the most out of this motor...I dont see a lot of sohc vtecs running mid 15's let alone of frigin y7 Im shifting into 4th right before the end of the 1/4 and 3rd-4th on the z6 trans isnt too great...when I had a temporary dx trans...i loved 3rd to 4th...but the shorter 1st and longer 2nd killed it.

Modified by speedooo at 12:26 AM 10/3/2007
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Input on building a custom trans with oem parts (speedooo)

This might help. Mistabone is the guru. http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/tranny.html
Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Input on building a custom trans with oem parts (realblag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realblag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This might help. Mistabone is the guru. http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/tranny.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the link. Im still in need of some how to directions some pne to tell me what gears are better if they have any personal experience....bumpp
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: Input on building a custom trans with oem parts (realblag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by realblag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This might help. Mistabone is the guru. http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/tranny.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bone's page is about 6 years old.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However, I remember reading that the z6 trans gears werent interchangeable with z6 gears, so I was also thinking of picking up a dx trans for dirt cheap and doing:</TD></TR></TABLE>

Z6 gears, interchange with z6 gears.

pick up a dirt cheap trans and take it apart and get an idea of what your going to be working with. search google for a downloadable helms manual. and go to down. your total investment will be less than 30 dollars if you do it right.

my site has a ton of d-series hybrid transmission info
http://bensebuilt.livejournal.com