Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Inner or Outer tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner or Outer tie rod?

Today i installed my new Brembo blanks with Hawk HP pads and checked over the suspension.

i checked the driver side and everything is all good.

when i moved to the passanger side. i noticed when i checked the tie rod with the 9 oclock and 3 oclock method the wheel had ALOT of play and the steering wheel did not move at all.

i think this is my problem. when im at the track and i launch the car it pulls extremely hard to the right. and the suspension feels different like its lose when conering.

So i do i figure out if it is the inner or outer tie rod? the outer tie rod would not be difficult for me to change but ive never done a inner tie rod before and i dont know how difficult they are to change.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Inner or Outer tie rod? (JDMlyfestyle)

i replaced mine like 2 years ago and the inner needs a special tool to install/remove. i think your problem is the outer but you should replace both anyway.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Inner or Outer tie rod? (JDMlyfestyle)

Just look at them both to see which one has play in it. at work we had someone move the wheel while someone looked from underneath the car to determine which one is in fact the proplem. I cant think of what special took you need tho I ussually have everything in my shop so nothing is "special" for me because I allways have it on hand

You should be able to take it to say Sears Auto for a free inspection and theyll tell you which one is bad just pertend like youll have them do the work tho and once the inspection is done be like thank you I want to try one more place and not come back.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Inner or Outer tie rod? (nickatiah)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickatiah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i replaced mine like 2 years ago and the inner needs a special tool to install/remove. i think your problem is the outer but you should replace both anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope, no special tools needed. Just an open end wrench or some chanel locks work fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Inner or Outer tie rod? (Chiovnidca)

I'm not sure, but i'm guessing it's the inner since you said the outer looks fine. But, I'd just pick up an integra steering and just replace the entire rack. Tighter steering and you save 5lbs.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Inner or Outer tie rod? (litterbox)

If it's on the drivers side, just turn the steering all the way to the right so the drivers side rack will stick way out. Then you just grab around the boot so you have firm grasp of the parts inside, and with your other hand grap the tie rod. Now you just wiggle the hell out of them. If you feel any play, you've found your problem.

I've found problems by having my friend wiggle the tire at 3 & 9 while I searched out the clunking noises. The buddy system works wonders...

If you do have to replace your inner tie rod, I suggest you remove the whole steering gearbox to do it. It' much easier to do on a work bench since your dealing with nasty lock washers. It does require a friend to help put the rack back in since you have to reconnect it to the steering column while your pushing it up into place. Also, trying to reconnect the steering column to the gearbox while keeping the steering wheel straight requires a little bit of patience...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not gonna take the car to sears. I do not trust other people looking at or touching my car.

why swap the entire rack. i like my manual rack.

I know its the passanger side tie rod. but i just cant determine if its the inner or outer since the whole assembly moves when i grab it.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why swap the entire rack. i like my manual rack.
</TD></TR></TABLE>3.0 turns LTL instead of our 4.0 turns.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know its the passanger side tie rod. but i just cant determine if its the inner or outer since the whole assembly moves when i grab it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Grab the outer with one hand, wiggle the tire with the other. Is there any slop in it? Do the same with the inner. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.