Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

inlighten me

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inlighten me

I'll start this off by saying i'm in no means a honda guru,So if my question sounds stupid,Pls bare with me,I'm a minitrucker not a sport compact person,Anyhow i just bought a eg civ hatch for my new daily driver as the truck gets torn apart this year.

Well the car has a b16 from a 96 del sol full swap obd2,y21 tranny,96 gsr linkage,yadda yadda some other mods,Anyhow What engine do i have exactly,All it says on the block is b16a and some serial codes etc.

Also with the car being obd2 are these ecu's unchippable? all i've seen are obd0-1 chips etc and i wouldn't mind getting this thing chipped to acomadate my future mods,But i don't wanna be spending serious money for a chip if it's harder and more complicated to do? This is my main question,Why does everyone convert obd2 to 1 rather then just keep the obd2?

Thanks for any and all replies,I tried searching but it's 2am and i'm quite lazy rite now so i figured i would post up my questions.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: inlighten me (tatersald)

You have a beefed up d series (the biggest econo engine made by honda). It's a nice fun engine. If you turbo it will will be a blast.

As far as OBD1 and OBD2. People convert to OBD1 from OBD2 because NOBODY chips OBD2 ECU's. So you will have to buy a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu. Many people use the P28 ecu (92-95 ex/si) It's not to much work to do the ECU coversion. Welcome to honda-tech, learn to use the search button, and have fun with the car.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 AM

Thanks that pretty much answerd my question about the ECU.

I've noticed myself alot of people do the swap and use the P28,So it looks like i'm going to be doing this myself,Now like i said before this is my daily driver and the car runs mint,By switching the harness/ECU is their anything i should be getting done first or will everything be fine when i do the swap,I don't wanna do this and it runs like **** till i get it chipped/reprogrammed?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tatersald)

you should be able to run a chipped p28 just fine in your del sol. just make sure you get the right program. mugen...spoon...or whatever you want on the chip
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You have a japanese-spec or "JDM" B16A since it has no suffix on the end, such as a "2" or "3."

Example:

If the engine really was from an OBD2 Del Sol it'd say "B16A2" on the block instead of just "B16A."

Are you SURE your car is OBD2? It comes as an OBD1 car, and unless someone threw in a jumper harness and an OBD2 ECU and wired up the extra OBD2 bullshit, I'd think you're still OBD1.

Do this:

Pull back the plastic piece and carpet on the passenger side kick panel, near the dorr jamb.

Now see if you can read the part number on the side of your ECU.

What are the middle 3 digits?

Also is there a harness that's connected between your car's chassis harness and the ECU plugs, or is the ECU plugged directly in? If there's no jumper harness then you still have an OBD1 set-up.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inlighten me (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a japanese-spec or "JDM" B16A since it has no suffix on the end, such as a "2" or "3."

Example:

If the engine really was from an OBD2 Del Sol it'd say "B16A2" on the block instead of just "B16A."

Are you SURE your car is OBD2? It comes as an OBD1 car, and unless someone threw in a jumper harness and an OBD2 ECU and wired up the extra OBD2 bullshit, I'd think you're still OBD1.

Do this:

Pull back the plastic piece and carpet on the passenger side kick panel, near the dorr jamb.

Also is there a harness that's connected between your car's chassis harness and the ECU plugs, or is the ECU plugged directly in? If there's no jumper harness then you still have an OBD1 set-up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you stole everything i was gonna say from my mouth! i saw your reply as a quote when i was writing mine! lol

yea follow what he says, i have no clue what the other guys above are tryin to say or trying to get you to do, but your car is already a obd1, and if it is kicking in vtec, then it prolly either has a p28 or a obd1 p72, which is a gsr ecu!
good luck

wali
Old 08-12-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: inlighten me (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a beefed up d series (the biggest econo engine made by honda). It's a nice fun engine. If you turbo it will will be a blast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your kidding right, you must've mis read? he did say it has a b16 from a sol in his post, its not a d-series motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the engine really was from an OBD2 Del Sol it'd say "B16A2" on the block instead of just "B16A."

Do this:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was just thinking this to
Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 AM

Now that's a good reply.Helped me out alot,Like i said i'm no honda guy at all,I stick to my trucks and my draggin.

I've read that JDM engines have larger VTEC letters on the valve covers and the USDM has the DOHC in the larger letters,Well that's what mine has just to let you know.

I just checked the ECU as for as jumper harness's etc,It's such a clean swap and since i don't really know what i'm looking at,I can't really tell if their is or not but the ECU reads P30 So whatever that means lol i'll wait for sumone to tell me.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt the del sol motor a b16a3 and not a b16a2
Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 AM

p30 is an obd1 computer don't remember what it is out of but it's a jdm b16 computer. Chippable in itself actually
Old 08-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inlighten me (sohc_boy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your kidding right, you must've mis read? he did say it has a b16 from a sol in his post, its not a d-series motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understood what he was trying to say... I think you misunderstood him. He was saying the B16a is the rough equiv. to a beefed up d-series engine, not in the literal sense that it was a d.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (drewthomas14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drewthomas14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt the del sol motor a b16a3 and not a b16a2</TD></TR></TABLE>

B16A3 = 94-95 Del Sol VTEc engine

B16A2 = 96-97 Del Sol VTEC and 99-00 Civic Si engine

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">p30 is an obd1 computer don't remember what it is out of but it's a jdm b16 computer. Chippable in itself actually</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually there were OBD2 P30 ECUs in the 96-97 Del Sol VTEC, but they're pretty rare.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

You just ruined my day I read i do have obd1 and now you tell me their were P30 ECU's om the del sol grrr.

Ok is their any other way i can tell if it's a obd1? or for sure a obd2

Their doesn't seen to be any harness at all going to my ECU but like i said earlier this is a very clean install,Very nice and tidy.

Could i call honda? give them my ecu # is their any site etc that could tell me?

This car has officialy just became a pain in the *** lol

Old 08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why the hell would someone convert obd2 to obd1? That makes no sense at all. OBD1's have the best ecu's and programmings.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Former Moderator

Take a picture of your ECU connections, post the pics here, and most of us can tell you if it's been converted to OBD2, which again is very doubtful.

Trust me, I seriously doubt anyone would convert that car to OBD2 - it's pointless.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have the p30 its the b16 computer if you can see the connectors... there should be 3 of them on the ecu probably closest to the floor... now to tell obd1 to obd2 the obd1's have 3 skinny connectors and the obd2's have 3 fat connectors
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

Heres a simple solution: How many 02 sensors do you have?
If you have one, its obd1. If you have two.... can you guess what the answer is?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Former Moderator

Here you go - unplug the ECU and look at the plugs on the ECU - this is an OBD1 ECU: (nevermind the extra info)

Problem solved.

Now what do you have, and what's your next question?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Well today just turned into a very sad day for me,I have obd2

As for my next question,I searched and found a place that sells harness's and all that good stuff,Which obd1 ecu do you recommend P28? i can get one of those from the wreckers for nothing,It fits snuggly in my backpack lol

Also is their anything i'll need to do other then switch my ecu and get that harness thing?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tatersald &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well today just turned into a very sad day for me,I have obd2

As for my next question,I searched and found a place that sells harness's and all that good stuff,Which obd1 ecu do you recommend P28? i can get one of those from the wreckers for nothing,It fits snuggly in my backpack lol

Also is their anything i'll need to do other then switch my ecu and get that harness thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you see any extra wires/adapters?? your car originally is a obd1, so inorder for them to change it to obd2, they would have to use the harness adapter, unless they went all out and redid all the wires, with is stupid imo!!

wali
Old 08-13-2005, 08:40 AM

Their are 2 tiny connectors just hanging their inside this little green rubber thing,The third is nowhere to be found,If tehri is supose to be one,But yes their is 2 connectors hanging their.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this might be a stupid question but why don't you ask whoever you bought the car from exactly what they did. its obviously swapped and everything works so it sounds like they knew what the were doing?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 AM

The swap wasn't done by the previous owner,They paid a shop to do it,It's just pretty long distance for me to call them,since a live a few hours out of the way.

I'd rather bug you guys
Old 08-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tatersald &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The swap wasn't done by the previous owner,They paid a shop to do it,It's just pretty long distance for me to call them,since a live a few hours out of the way.

I'd rather bug you guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

just take a pic of everything, im sure someone will be able to figure out whats goin on!

wali
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 AM

I'm working on that one,Should be a pic up tomor afternoon.

Again thanks guys,I know how annoying newbie minitruckers get on my boards,Asking how airsuspension works etc,So i know how annoying this can be,Big thanks for not flaming my *** (Y)

Quick Reply: inlighten me