Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

info on a swap..

Old 08-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on a swap..

Ok.. I have a 95 civic dx.. It burns oil like crazy so this kid was gonna fix the piston rings for me.. Then he told me that he could sell me a vtec dohc b16? engine and put it in for me.. He told me all i would need is to get an ex ecu and like oil and an oil pan and **** cuz it just bolts in?? would i need anything else for this? I dont want him to touch it if he doesnt know what ie he doing.. He said he has a 95 civic dx tooa nd he just put one of them in his car and it just bolts in.. thanks..
Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: info on a swap.. (RadiantGirla)

how much was it going to cost?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM
amy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RadiantGirla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok.. I have a 95 civic dx.. It burns oil like crazy so this kid was gonna fix the piston rings for me.. Then he told me that he could sell me a vtec dohc b16? engine and put it in for me.. He told me all i would need is to get an ex ecu and like oil and an oil pan and **** cuz it just bolts in?? would i need anything else for this? I dont want him to touch it if he doesnt know what ie he doing.. He said he has a 95 civic dx tooa nd he just put one of them in his car and it just bolts in.. thanks..</TD></TR></TABLE>

first of all, id make sure it has papers and is fully legit.... i dont know where you're from but around here cops pop hoods and if you have a stolen motor, you will get caught. Secondly, yes the motor should basically drop in but you'll need to wire up the Vtec.... your car doesn't come prewired for it.. How come the swap isnt coming with an oil pan? I hope its coming with a tranny and axels and the rest...... if not youre gonna need to buy those things as well...

also, check here for some info: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You need to use our wonderful SEARCH feature here, because the B16A swap into the 1992-1995 Civic has been covered MANY times here.

Here is a tidbit of info from me to you though, because I care:

Sorry if this isn't 100% pertinent to your car, but here goes anyways:

Okay I have some more time to give a better answer to your question now.

First of all mounts:

For the timing cover side mount you will need to get the cast-iron bracket from any 1994-2001 Integra GS-R and also the aluminum mount as well. You can use the mount from a Del Sol VTEC as well, but not the 99-00 mount because it is totally different.

For the rear mount you will need to use a 1994-2001 Integra rear bracket. The actual rubber mount that bolts to the rear subframe can be the stock civic one. Check the 99-00 mount first and see if it will work too though before you go out and buy an Integra one. I used an Integra rear bracket on my fiancee's B16A2 swap in 1999, but the stock 99-00 one might work too.

The topside tranny mount can be the Civic VX one - it is the same thing.

The front mounting brackets need to be from an Integra 1004-2001, but if you want to keep A/C then get the A/C bracket for a Del Sol VTEC model. the actaul mounts that bolt to the underside of the framerails need to be the stock Civic ones.

I would also insert the energy Suspension mount inserts while you've got the mounts out.

For shift linkage the 99-00 Si linkage will bolt right up.

Axles can be either the 99-00 si axles or any 1994-2001 Integra axles. I'd try to get non-ABS ones as they are usually cheaper.

As I stated before I have a B16A2 swap in a 1992 Si hatchback as well as a B18C5 swap in a 1992 CX hatchback.

There are some differences in these swaps even though they are both "OBD2" swaps, and it all has to do with the factory engine harness that each engine comes with.

On the Integra the engine harness is exactly the same as any 1992-1995 Civic, but it just has a few extra sensor plugs, etc.

On the 99-00 Civic Si (B16A2) the engine harness is totally different from the Civic and Integra ones and CANNOT be used in the 1992-1995 Civic.

So what's the solution?

There are two ways that you can make the B16A2 swap very easy. One way makes it nearly plug and play, while the other requires a bit more work, but you could save some money in the process and it's still not hard at all.

Method number one:

Find any 1996-2001 Integra engine harness. Ideally it should be a GS-R or Type R unit, but if all you can find is an LS then it's only a few extra wires. I'd imagine they should not be too hard to come by and will cost probably no more than $100.00-$150.00 used and they are only $350.00 or so brand new from Honda if you need a reference point.

If you can locate the 96-01 engine harness then simply plug it into the engine and drop the engine in. Even though the harness is technically "OBD2" trust me it is a direct plug in for the 1992-1995 Civic on the underhood strut tower harnesses.

What ever you decide you should ditch the 99-00 Si ECU. It is OBD2 and horrible. What you'll need to run is a re-chipped P28 (1992-1995 SOHC VTEC ECU) from Kenji Plennert in Florida. His e-mail adress is kenji211@tampabay.rr.com - tell him Tom sent you from H-T. I run his ECU on my Type R swap and it is way better than any stock OBD2 crap ECU. even if you wanted to keep the 99-00 ECU you'd need to buy a jumper harness and wire up all of that extra OBD2 bullshit, which is not necessary.

If you run that re-chipped P28 and the 96-01 Integra harness then the swap is almost 100% plug and play. Hell in your Civic VX it will be 100% plug and play if you find a GS-R or Type R harness. Not one single wire will need to be ran this way. My 1992 CX (prewired for VTEC like your VX is, because all 1992 Civics were wired for VTEC regardless of trim) didn't require one single wire at all with my 1998 B18C5 swap because I used a re-chipped P28 and the Integra engine harness.

Actually I just recalled that you will have to only do one thing wiringwise. Simply extend the two wires foir the intake air temperature sensor. for some reason the B16A2 is the only B motor that I know od that locates its IAT sensor into the actual intake tubing rather than the intake manifold itself. for this reason you must simply extend the existing two wires for that sensor on the engine harness to stretch from the intake manifold (where it is on the Integra) to whatever intake arm you decide to run.

Method Number Two:

If you are just way too broke to buy a used 96-01 Integra engine harness, you can use your stock Civic harness. It will require more work, but if you don't mind that then you could save some money. I'll go ahead and tell you that if I were you I'd really try to find that Integra engine harness, but here goes anyways.

To use your stock Civic harness you will need to do some minor wiring changes and a few other things. It's not hard and if you just breathe deeply and read this I think you'll find it to be prety easy actually. I used this method back in 1999 when I put a B16A2 into my fiancee's car, and I did not know that the 96-01 Integra harness would make it near plug and play.

Change #1:

First of all there will be a minor difference in the plug style on the distributor. Some people will say :"get an OBD1 distributor" but they must think that OBD1 distributors are cheap or easy to find used. The B16A2 distributor will have one big plug on it, while your stock Civic and it's engine harness has two plugs. All you have to do is unpin the two lowest fat wires from the B16A2 distributor and repin them into the extra plug on the VX engine harness.

Here's a picture of the B16A2 distributor. The arrows are pointing to the wires you need to unpin. This is a picture of an unaltered B16A2 distributor:

So here's that extra plug on your VX harness with the two wires already ran into it. Notice the wires are the exact same color, making it "idiot proof" so to speak. i'm glad they decided to keep the same colors:

Okay that tales care of that.

Change #2:

The plug on the B16A2 alternator won't plug into your VX harness. There are two ways around this. You could either find an OBD1 B Series distributor, or you can swap the voltage regulator from your VX alternator into the B16A2 housing. The B16A2 will have a square plug while the VX harness will have a round plug. Simply pull both alternators apart and swap the voltage regulator. You'll know which part it is because the plug is part of it. A few 8mm and 10mm bolts are all that stand in your way.

Change #3:

Injectors.

The B16A2 uses OBD2 style injector plugs that will not plug into your VX harness. You can either buy new OBD1 injecotrs for a 1994-1995 Del Sol VTEC or just use your stock Civic VX injectors. I still run the 1992 Civic Si injectors in my fiancee's B16A2 and it dynoed the same or better as any other B16A2 with i/h/e in my area with 143whp with 102 ft-lbs. of torque.

Change #4:

Your VX comes with a 5-wire o2 sensor, which means that the harness will also support a 5-wire o2 sensor. The B16A2 will have 2 4 wire o2sensors, but if you use the re-chipped P28 it will only read for one.

You will need to covert your 5-wire harness to support the B16A2's primary o2 sensor with only 4 wires.

This is courtesy of poison:

- WHT/RED wire goes to D14 which is O2 Sensor Input
- ORG/BLK wire goes to A6, which is Heater Control
- GRN/WHT wire goes to D22 which is Sensor Ground
- YEL/BLK wire goes to A25 which is Sensor voltage
So after that you simply extend the IAT sensor wires just as you would even with the Integra 96-01 harness.

What do you think of that?

[b]BTW:

What type of B16A is this? Is it a B16A first-gen with milky white plugs on the distributor? does it have a cable tranny? If so this is the WRONG B16A for your car!

You need a B16A "second-gen" or a B16A3, or a B16A2.