Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Improper axle installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Improper axle installation?

I have a 94 civic dx automatic coupe, with about 160k on it.

On Thursday the car started making strange noises, pretty much a rattling/scraping and, kinda sounded like a belt was too tight and such. Checked everything, nothing seemed wrong.. took it to the shop, they told me it was the starter.
Later on that day I was stopped at a red light and when it turned green I went to go, and nope. It revved, but would not move. Glided around the corner cut the engine, when I went to restart it wouldn't start.(Now that was the starter, knew it was going, just kept putting it off because of $$)
Towed it to the shop, replaced the starter, but now the shop doesn't know what happened, it still won't move. It'll rev, but will not move.
Recently I've replaced the front driver side axle, 02 sensor, alternator, spark plugs, wires..
Is it possible that the shop did not install the axle properly? I drove the car for about 4-5 days after I got the axle put in, and this happens.
The strange noise I was hearing happened whether the car was in motion or not.
Could it be the tranny going? Never had a problem with it before.
If the timing chain had snapped, wouldn't it of just stalled? Instead it stayed on, I'd press the gas pedal and it would just rev.
HELP!!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Improper axle installation?

Originally Posted by simpleaction1
I have a 94 civic dx automatic coupe, with about 160k on it.

On Thursday the car started making strange noises, pretty much a rattling/scraping and, kinda sounded like a belt was too tight and such. Checked everything, nothing seemed wrong.. took it to the shop, they told me it was the starter.
Later on that day I was stopped at a red light and when it turned green I went to go, and nope. It revved, but would not move. Glided around the corner cut the engine, when I went to restart it wouldn't start.(Now that was the starter, knew it was going, just kept putting it off because of $$)
Towed it to the shop, replaced the starter, but now the shop doesn't know what happened, it still won't move. It'll rev, but will not move.
Recently I've replaced the front driver side axle, 02 sensor, alternator, spark plugs, wires..
Is it possible that the shop did not install the axle properly? I drove the car for about 4-5 days after I got the axle put in, and this happens.
The strange noise I was hearing happened whether the car was in motion or not.
Could it be the tranny going? Never had a problem with it before.
If the timing chain had snapped, wouldn't it of just stalled? Instead it stayed on, I'd press the gas pedal and it would just rev.
HELP!!
Your car doesnt have a timing chain... Could be ur axles,torque converter, tranny... If the timing belt went it would either run like **** or not run at all..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your transmission fluids
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Trial User

I was told the crankshaft broke. Is this possible? They said the engine still spins freely, but the crankshaft broke.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the crank broke you'd likely be leaking fluids and the engine would not 'rev'. I would suspect axles/cv's, wheel hub splines, torque plate bolts, torque converter failure and/or transmission clogged with it's own death debris. Does it still make noise? Does it make noise that changes when shifting in and out of gear?

Check transmisson fluid level.

Try jacking up one wheel and turning it. Shove a jackstand under it and crawl under and watch the axles while you turn the wheel.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Trial User

I know now, that this mechanic is not very honest.

My car is still there, I had gone up yesterday and taken a look at it. They yelled at me when I opened my hood, I had mentioned to them that the crankshaft doesn't make any sense, they shot me down and pushed me aside.
Now, there was oil all over the ground when I had gotten there, but nothing right under the engine. I told them that if the crankshaft was broke, wouldn't there be resistance... they told me no.
I'm not sure what sounds/what it does because they would not let me do anything.
I'm getting the car towed to a friends, where I will then work on it myself and try and figure out what's wrong with it. First thing I am doing is putting the starter back in and seeing what happens(they took the brand new starter out for some reason.) Next step, check the oil pan for shavings.

I'm just trying to get more ideas of what it could possibly be, because I like this car and it ran very strong before all this.

Thank you all for your help!

I guess this is why my pop always said have a guy take a car into the mechanic!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check if the passenger axle didnt pop off the trans. give it a good push. the trans will only spin the pass side there fore you can only rev but not move. if its not that than most likely you trans gave out.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Trial User

This may be a far off question, and I hate to even think it.
But, is there any way you could tell if a mechanic deliberately sabotaged an engine?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your engine ran after your car wouldn't 'go' anymore then it's likely your engine is ok and the trouble lies elsewhere (torque plate, torque converter, transmission, axles, wheel hubs). The torque plate connects the engine crankshaft to the transmission torque converter. Check your engine oil and transmission fluid levels. You could drain the transmission fluid and check the magnetic drain plug for metal shavings/particles. You'll need 3-4 quarts of genuine honda transmission fluid to refill after.