Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Impressions on my newly installed H&R race springs and Koni Yellows... and some quesitons..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions on my newly installed H&R race springs and Koni Yellows... and some quesitons..

hey guys,

i just got my H&R race springs with neuspeed yellows installed on my eg. It rides much better than my obx crap coilovers with blown tokico blues. it doesnt bounce much either like my old setup. one thing i am not happy with so far is the handling part. i mean i have the konis at about full stiff and it doesnt seem that great, maybe it has to settle a bit since its only been an hour and i havent gotten an alignment yet. the alignment doesnt seem bad either but i dont know what the problem is. when i press down on the fenders the car doesnt move much, but on my friends integra with the same setup it doesnt move at all. whats the deal?
Old 08-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impressions on my newly installed H&R race springs and Koni Yellows... and some quesitons.. (Rra

ttt
Old 08-30-2002, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Impressions on my newly installed H&R race springs and Koni Yellows... and some quesitons.. (Rra

nu-speed yellows?
Old 08-30-2002, 07:03 PM

nu-speed yellows?
Neuspeed Spec Koni Sport (Yellow) shocks. They are specially valved to Neuspeed specs plus have a slightly shorter shaft body.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well whats the problem... it doesnt seem to handle like a race spring with konis should. maybe im expecting too much? since i did have a very good handling mustang... man i miss rwd damnn..
Old 08-30-2002, 07:17 PM

let it settle then see whats up... I dont have them and never have (i plan to) but I've heard on this board that new springs and koni yellows need to settle first... give it a try and then see how they are. They should be ok.

EDIT> I miss rwd too I loved that volvo I coulda done 180s and doughnuts all day

[Modified by iviZeRoCooLivi, 8:18 PM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill let em settle for tonite and see whats up.

on a side note : i have one thing to say.. a fwd in general IMO cant handle for **** compared to a good rwd setup. man why couldnt hondas be rwd. fwd + wanting to have good suspension= life sux.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

What TIRES do you have?

And your friend - what does he have as well?

Dampeners and springs can only do so much, but ultimately your tires have a huge effect on handling.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:55 PM
New User

settling takes more than a night and i'm not sure that the characteristics will change all too much

what are your specific complaints of the setup?
Old 08-31-2002, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have falken azenis in front and nittos in back. my friend with the teg has worse tires than me. when u press down on his fender his car doesnt even move. mine does a bit. what im complaining about are that i expected the ride to be more ruff, it feels like a bmw. i hate it, i wish it was more aggressive and with less body roll on turns. i dunno whats wrong. maybe because i have a gsr front sway bar with no sway bar in the back, cant wait to get my type r rear sway bar. its just an overall thing that i expected more.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:02 AM
Former Moderator

on a side note : i have one thing to say.. a fwd in general IMO cant handle for **** compared to a good rwd setup. man why couldnt hondas be rwd. fwd + wanting to have good suspension= life sux.
What in the hell are you talking about?

Go out to your local SCCA auto-X event and see what the fastest cars are. They're probably 1984-1987 Honda Civics/CRXs. See which street cars are the quicker ones. It's not going to be the Mustangs, it's going to be modded Civics.

Just because your first stab and trying to make your Honda handle good doesn't seem to be panning out doesn't mean that you are a suspension expert and that FR is better than FF.

Big names don't always mean that it's the best product.

What are the spring rates for your H&R springs?

I run Koni Yellows with Eibach ERS custom springs. I run 425F and 550R rates with a 14mm rear swaybar and no front swaybar. I also have 205-50-15 Azenis on Rotas. My car handles quite awesome and from the modded Mustangs I've driven I'd love to see one try and keep up with me on a really twisty backroad.

I'm sure there are Mustangs that can handle awesome, and I know there are plenty of shitty handling Hondas out there, so anything's possible here.

My point is don't generalize all FF cars like you did just because you're not happy with yours.

Perhaps you should have done more research before you spent money on a suspension set-up.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 10:03 AM 8/31/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 06:11 AM

Friend maybe on bumpstop.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh that was it set the shocks as close to stock as u can and let them settle for a week..then begin to stiffen up the setting..for a lower d car i think koni recommends turning the adjustment **** one half turn...i didnt go that extreme..more like to the 3rd notch rather than the 4th
Old 08-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Former Moderator

Turn them left to stiffen them.

Turn them all the way left and back off 1/4 a turn because if you run full left the adjusters can jam.

Try that. They are reversed, so if you turn them right to tighten you're actually setting them way softer.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:53 PM

I agree with Tom.. With a good suspension setup, your FWD Honda can handle extremely well. Get a nice beefy rear sway bar 22mm (ITR is good or others, Comptech, Suspension techniques, Progress) and you will eliminate body roll and get that over-steer that you are so desperately seeking.. Also, play around with your suspension to get the feel you want. As mentioned also, tires are crucial. To be honest, if you wanted such great, stiff handling you should've purchased a good coilover system (Tein, Progress, APEXi N1).. Good luck..
Old 08-31-2002, 01:40 PM

rwd, cars will spin out on hard turns, cause they are pushing out the turn and not pulling, what suspension mod and how much did you spend on your stang? put the same amount into your civic and see what the deal is, cause i'm on koni yellows wit gc coil overs down pretty low and it handles REALLY well, if i raise it up, it;'ll be better, get some roll bars for you civic, and maybe learn how to drive a fwd car? and also, doesn't the koni's have those perches correct? move them up so your springs are at the very bottom, but if you want the best stuff should have gotten some full coil-overs apexi ws, teins, zeals, i mean the possibitlies for suspension setup is like 87987502985 ways? hehehe good luck
Old 08-31-2002, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's funny. My friend in is Type R with minor suspension mods was taking an M5 in the corners at a recent track event. The M5 driver was also very experienced.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replies.

i think ill move the springs up a bit on the perches because it seems to be sitting a bit low. the spring rates are for a teg and they are the h&r race ones. i put the shocks at full stiff and went back about 270 degrees or so. it feels better than before in terms of ride quality... but the things most ppl talked about being a harsh ride are wrong... it feels stock. it kinda seems like there is less steering response.

in my mustang: i spent 2gs and nothing special either.
my honda: 1g same thing.

maybe i dont know how to drive a fwd car since ive never had one. are there any tricks?

sorry to generalize its just you get frustrated when u spend a lot of money and then it doesnt seem like what u wanted. maybe im just not a fwd car kinda guy...
Old 08-31-2002, 03:00 PM
Former Moderator

Spending money on a big-name matched coil-over set is NOT the answer.

I simply got custom-rate Eibach springs so I could get the F/R bias that I wanted. Most of the big name "JDM" coil-iver sets give you stiff-*** front spring and way too soft rear springs. The Japanese racers use different tire sizes, compounds, etc. to get their right F/R bias, so the springs aren't as important.
They also sometimes run a huge rear bar as well.

Nobody will ever cimplain about a "stock-like" ride in my car. It's borderline harsh for most people, but I love the way it rides. It never bounces. Where my girl's 1992 hatch with Skunk2 coil-overs anf KYB silvers/GR-2s bounces a few times over a certain bump, mine will give me one good slap to the spine and not a single "settling" bounce.

Double check your rates and see what they are. Koni Yellows are at their limits at 600 or so.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hrmm so your saying i might be at my limit for the konis? or should i just replace my rear springs with some even more heavier ones? whats the answer without spending a whole crap load of money again?
Old 08-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

You'll need to determine your spring rates forst man.

Old 08-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h&r race springs for an integra. thats all i know. i called around and no one had the exact spring rates.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your not close to the limits of konis with those springs... im guessing they are progressive in the 500 front 400 rear range... the problem i see is that your probably understeering real bad... i know those are front biased springs (in terms of stiffness) and with a 22mm front say and no rear? get a 22 or higher rear sway and tell us what you think.. i guarantee you wont be complaing anymore...
Old 08-31-2002, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok great, ill get a type r sway bar next week. thanks..
Old 09-01-2002, 02:16 AM

put on that itr rear sway like ive told you and youll be able to handle like me..

Quick Reply: Impressions on my newly installed H&R race springs and Koni Yellows... and some quesitons..