Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Important Question, need your help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important Questions, need your help!!!!

Ok I just got a job not too long ago, I am going to make pretty good money. Well after I work for a while, I plan to buy an older car, something that isnt going to cost me lots of money, but in the same time, still be reliable.

I have a 99 civic ex coupe, I had so many plans in my head, but was never able to do them due to money, so now that I have a job, I can start.

I know that it would be wise to buy an older car, and start to build that instead of my current car, but im in love with 99-00 body style of the civic and We got a real good deal on it.

I know it is going to take a lot of time, money, and knowledge to complete this, but Im going to do it. I want to build it to be a drag only car.

Now here is where I need some help, the car is stock now. I here about roll-cages, and how they stiffen the chassis, and thats a good thing, but then I hear they are dangerous. Can someone clear this up for me? Once a cage is in, the car is only going to be driven on the weekends, or just at the track. I plan it to be a weld in cage also, not a bolt in. Unless I can have some help on that also. To understand the benefits and disadvantages of both.

And another thing is the harness. I hear that they are better than seatbelts, but then I hear that they are more dangerous. And If I had a cage in, what would be the proper way to mount them? On the cage? I see pictures of people with a harness instead of a seatbelt, then I read the replies on how its mounted wrong.

There is lots I need to learn, and Im asking so I make sure things are done right the first time. I posted this in here because the car is a civic, but if this is the wrong forum, im sorry.

Thanks for the help..

Old 07-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cage on the street is dangerous unless you wear a helmet, could you imagine hitting your head in a minor accident? Game over.

Harnesses on the street are dangerous because if you need to be quickly removed from the car in the event of an accident/fire and you're unconcious a bystander may not know how to remove the belts and get you out. Most of the negative stuff you hear about harnesses on the street is because they're not installed properly or are being used without a roof reinforcement. If you flip on the street and your roof is coming down you will be strapped in so well that u cannot duck your head down much from your driving position.

I recommend you start with a roll bar and install harnesses as well, but retain your regular belts for street use.

OR, do not upgrade anything until you can sacrfice the car's streetability for safety at the track.

Honestly, I don't think you've put enough time in to this whole drag racing thing, your plans are very pipe-dreamish.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Important Questions, need your help!!!! (Quick EX)

Well you wouldn't need a cage in the car unitl you break into the 11's I belive so I would leave that out for a while since this will be a drag only car.

Work on the motor first get the car to make that kind of power at the track THEN think about a cage and Harness

The harness should be bolted into the floor of the car. Usually they go inbetween the top and bottom of the rear seats but this varies in different cars.

If you had a cage I would suggest a harness just so if you get in an accident you don't fly forward or sideways and crack your head open on the bar. JMHO
Old 07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Important Questions, need your help!!!! (Quick EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now here is where I need some help, the car is stock now. I here about roll-cages, and how they stiffen the chassis, and thats a good thing, but then I hear they are dangerous. Can someone clear this up for me? Once a cage is in, the car is only going to be driven on the weekends, or just at the track. I plan it to be a weld in cage also, not a bolt in. Unless I can have some help on that also. To understand the benefits and disadvantages of both.
Roll cages are for safety... ONLY YOURS... on the street they become dangerous because a car with a welded roll cage would cut through a unibody car like a hot knife through butter.
Welded is better because bolts break... bolt in cages are not as safe and in most cases are not acceptable under race rules. Bolt in cages are good because you can put them in yourself and have the "race look".

And another thing is the harness. I hear that they are better than seatbelts, but then I hear that they are more dangerous. And If I had a cage in, what would be the proper way to mount them? On the cage? I see pictures of people with a harness instead of a seatbelt, then I read the replies on how its mounted wrong.
Same deal sort of... the harness are much better at stopping you... they're harder to get off harder for emergency crews to cut etc... but they again are for your safety. When mounted wrong they do as much as the improper mount will let them... they will break at the weakest point... usually the mount.

Yes they should be mounted to the cage.

There is lots I need to learn, and Im asking so I make sure things are done right the first time. I posted this in here because the car is a civic, but if this is the wrong forum, im sorry.
No offense but you do have a lot to learn and the first would be that you should take your car to the track before you do anything... get a feel for racing before you decide to weld in a roll cage... Cages are required once you drop below a certain e.t.... If you don't exceed that number you can still run w/o a cage... So I'd be more worried about getting all the money together for an engine to get you down the track that fast before I'd be worried about getting a cage.

Thanks for the help..

Good luck
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-31-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Important Questions, need your help!!!! (NonovUrbizniz)

I wasnt going to weld in a cage and all that now.

I fully understand that there are too many things to do before I weld in a cage and things of that sort. I was just asking now so I uderstand why they are dangerous, and why they arent, same for the harness.

I know I need to worry about the motor, which will take a long time before Im even fast enough to think about a roll-cage, then suspension. I wasnt going to just weld in a cage in the car, in its stock form.

Thanks for clearing the cage and harness thing.