Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   is it important to bleed it? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/important-bleed-2313193/)

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 06:48 AM

is it important to bleed it?

does it matter if you bleed air out from that nipple? my 92 has it and i've noticed a 2000 doesn't have it. is it the same as bleeding your coolant the other way?

cap off.
start car.
heater on.
wait til you see bubbles.
add water/coolant.

and if you are suppose to bleed it from there, how and when do you bleed it? unscrew a little bit or take the whole nipple out?

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 06:56 AM

somebody help! i need to know this right now. came up with 7 searched. no details of to bleed it from the nipple.

1CaMw0nDeR 06-02-2008 06:57 AM

Re: is it important to bleed it? (G2_Fella)

you did it right... just add fluid til no more bubbles and the car warms up, than shut it off, wait about 30 minutes, than top off coolant and your good.. air pockets cause overheating, thats the whole reason for bleeding, so yeah its pretty important although i've done radiator swaps, where i've just swapped'm, filled'm, an was fine... But better to be safe than sorry..

That nipple isnt on all models, if it is, use it, if not dont sweat it..

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 07:15 AM

Re: is it important to bleed it? (1CaMw0nDeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1CaMw0nDeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you did it right... just add fluid til no more bubbles and the car warms up, than shut it off, wait about 30 minutes, than top off coolant and your good.. air pockets cause overheating, thats the whole reason for bleeding, so yeah its pretty important although i've done radiator swaps, where i've just swapped'm, filled'm, an was fine... But better to be safe than sorry..

That nipple isnt on all models, if it is, use it, if not dont sweat it..</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine has it. and i don't know how to use it. could you tell me how to use it?

1CaMw0nDeR 06-02-2008 07:35 AM

Re: is it important to bleed it? (G2_Fella)

I'd be happy to...

Start your car and do the whole add coolant thing right, well slightly crack open that bleeder until theres no air sputters, and its just a constant stream of coolant coming out, tighten it up and you're good.. Top off radiator, that's it...

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 08:48 AM

Re: is it important to bleed it? (1CaMw0nDeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1CaMw0nDeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd be happy to...

Start your car and do the whole add coolant thing right, well slightly crack open that bleeder until theres no air sputters, and its just a constant stream of coolant coming out, tighten it up and you're good.. Top off radiator, that's it... </TD></TR></TABLE>

just got back from "bleeding the coolant" and i'm not feeling too good of what i've done. especially the "nipple" part. i loosen it maybe like 4-5 times and watch coolant come out from there. now is this the bad part:

when i loosen the nipple, i fill water in the radiator and it seems like it needs more water than i tighten it up. is that good or bad? and when it's tighten up, water spills out from the radiator. i still see bubbles coming out from there.

CivicSpoon 06-02-2008 09:47 AM

Sounds like you're leaving the nipple open for too long. As soon as there is a steady stream of coolant coming out of it, close it up. When it's closed, then add more coolant. The service manual actually says to do this before the car has even started. It says after you've done the nipple part, you put the radiator cap on part way ("to the first stop"), then start the car and let it run until the fan kicks on twice.

As long as the bubbles are coming out the radiator fill, you might as well just keep doing that and forget about the nipple all together. Try giving the top radiator hose a genital squeeze occasionally to help get the bubbles out. But as long as bubbles still come out, you're not done bleeding yet.

1CaMw0nDeR 06-02-2008 09:50 AM

Re: (CivicSpoon)

Just look at the nipple as if it were an added feature to assist you... Don't simply rely on the nipple to do the bleeding, because the air is gonna rise eventually, thats why the car should be on while doing this so the heat helps assist the air bubbles out, once that stream is steady with no spurts of air, close it... Than its just fill up to the top, wait for no bubbles, close it off, your good...

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 10:13 AM

Re: (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you're leaving the nipple open for too long. As soon as there is a steady stream of coolant coming out of it, close it up. When it's closed, then add more coolant. The service manual actually says to do this before the car has even started. It says after you've done the nipple part, you put the radiator cap on part way ("to the first stop"), then start the car and let it run until the fan kicks on twice.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, i did it all wrong then. or did i? loosing the nipple before the car had even started? i loosen it while the car was idling. and i loosen it too many times. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emhammer.gif

yesterday it took an hour an a half for my fan to kick on. was it because i put the heater on number 4? to the max.

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 10:17 AM

Re: (1CaMw0nDeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1CaMw0nDeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just look at the nipple as if it were an added feature to assist you... Don't simply rely on the nipple to do the bleeding, because the air is gonna rise eventually, thats why the car should be on while doing this so the heat helps assist the air bubbles out, once that stream is steady with no spurts of air, close it... Than its just fill up to the top, wait for no bubbles, close it off, your good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't have to bleed the nipple again right if it's done before? i will check the radi again tomorrow morning.

thanks guys!

G2_Fella 06-02-2008 10:28 AM

update:

couple weeks ago i was having problem with my car overheating while going on long road trips.
i've done all the basic maintenace except for getting a new radiator. my reservoir tank was getting overflow and i was losing coolant from the radiator.

now i bought a half inch thicker than my regular stock one from ebay and put it on yesterday. i can't wait to test it out on the road again! take it on a long road trip.

i would like to thank h2392si for pointing me to the right direction and helping me out.

and the rest on here!

h2392si 06-02-2008 11:05 AM

Re: (G2_Fella)

Anytime. http://is.rely.net/1-92-29998-l-1gbM...AmVuBW3hGg.gif