Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!!

Old 08-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!!

I got pulled over tonight for my damn exhaust(Mugen twin-loop). The CHP popped my hood and noticed that I didnt have the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to intake tube .....He gave me a ticket for missing smog device, it says to clear through BAR. I have a 96' JDM B16a motor in my 96' EK, its obd2 and I have I/H/E. Everything else on the engine is stock. Can I just put the hose on and take it to the BAR? Will they clear me of the ticket? My brother says that they'll inspect my engine and smog it. What do I have to do so they dont fail me? Do I need to be running two o2 sensors, cuz i only have 1. Any help would be great guys. Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (JDMjdawg)

you'll need all the smog equipment similar to 99-00si, two o2, delsol vtec '96 ecu. make sure your intake and header have c.a.r.b # on them. if not go back to stock. in your case due to the ticket im sure its a pass or fail and no second chances. in addition if you have a stock cat make sure it isnt burnt and if it is purchase a restrictive cat for the inspection.

btw where were you pulled over(city and time)? just curious where the hoodpoppinchippies are.

good luck
Old 08-30-2003, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (eg6si)

popped in Simi Valley at 11:00. so my jdm ek4 ecu wont work? what about my 3 month old high flow cat? How do I run another o2 sensor? Can I make it a dummy sensor and just make it look like its connected to something? or will they actually check for some kind of reading from the sensor? why wont I get a second chance to smog? I thought that you always get a second chance for free and after that you pay $30 to retest. Hmm.... Also, a friend of mine told me to tell the people at the window of the court house to go **** themselves and just give me the fine, basically just say that the engine is blown and to just let me pay the fine. He also said that a friend of his had a similar problem and had to pay a $1500 fine. And another girl I know also paid $1500 for a modified exhaust, she paid it because she would never pass the referee because she has a GSR that is fully built and turbo'd. Ho hum, anybody wanna by my EK? Thinking about buying a G35 coupe or a lightning once I get myself outta this mess.......
Old 08-30-2003, 01:33 AM

Not to be a dick or anything, but you wouldn't be in this mess if you went to the ref and got your swap BAR'd in the first place. All I can say is good luck but you are going to need to run everything OBDII, and have the proper ECU to check for all the sensors (EVAP, 2ndO2, etc.). A lot depends on the ref you go to. It's hit or miss, meaning you can get a cool ref or an *******.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (acuracing)

someone give him the B.A.R. Ref link... im to tired to find it!

-Bryan-
Old 08-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

popped in Simi Valley at 11:00.
so my jdm ek4 ecu wont work? no
what about my 3 month old high flow cat? invest in a restrictive cat
How do I run another o2 sensor? have experts wire it in for you
Can I make it a dummy sensor and just make it look like its connected to something? you can always try
or will they actually check for some kind of reading from the sensor? if everything was wired in properly, since its an obd2 bar might look for a sensor readout harness
why wont I get a second chance to smog? if you dont pass the first time your car will be a gross polluter
I thought that you always get a second chance for free and after that you pay $30 to retest. regular smog check, yes. this is bar
Hmm.... Also, a friend of mine told me to tell the people at the window of the court house to go **** themselves and just give me the fine, basically just say that the engine is blown and to just let me pay the fine. He also said that a friend of his had a similar problem and had to pay a $1500 fine. hearsay
And another girl I know also paid $1500 for a modified exhaust, she paid it because she would never pass the referee because she has a GSR that is fully built and turbo'd. what made her think it would ever pass smog?
Ho hum, anybody wanna by my EK? im not looking for a car
Thinking about buying a G35 coupe or a lightning once I get myself outta this mess... choices have to be made...

need help? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=375500
Old 08-30-2003, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (EGStreetHtch)

thanks guys, so my ecu wont work then? What ecu will work? where does the 2nd o2 sensor go? Can I just pay a fat fine? Please help, I'm not made of money, I go to school and work
Old 08-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once my car becomes a gross polluter, Is it labeled gross polluter forever or can I fix the problems and then everything will be fine? Can I still drive my car if its a gross polluter? Do they give you time to fix it and still drive it?
Old 08-30-2003, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, so my ecu wont work then? no
What ecu will work? 96 delsol vtec or 99-00si
where does the 2nd o2 sensor go? pre and post cat
Can I just pay a fat fine? you will pay a fat fine and still have to obey the smog laws
Please help, I'm not made of money, I go to school and work
no one is made of money

read the link
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=375500
Old 08-30-2003, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once my car becomes a gross polluter, Is it labeled gross polluter forever or can I fix the problems and then everything will be fine? its labeled forever. once you fix the problems and pass bar everything will be fine.
Can I still drive my car if its a gross polluter? no, unless you want another ticket
Do they give you time to fix it and still drive it? they'll give you time to fix it
Old 08-30-2003, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gg Cali sucks...
Old 08-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjdawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt have the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to intake tube ...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i got a ticket for that about a year ago, this was when i totaled my car the CHP dick popped my hood and gave me a ticket. i was like WTF?? my car is already totaled. it cost me $270 bucks.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (zzZZzzleeperCX)

all this because you didnt want to run a hose from your valvecover to the intake arm?

damn. dude, shoulda ran a catchcan at least. especially in CA.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (owen_the_soyboy)

Dude, I had one on their but the tube got all dry rotted and was cracking. I had just taken it off less than 2 weeks ago, and had'nt had time to get a new one.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">once my car becomes a gross polluter, Is it labeled gross polluter forever or can I fix the problems and then everything will be fine? its labeled forever. once you fix the problems and pass bar everything will be fine.
Can I still drive my car if its a gross polluter? no, unless you want another ticket
Do they give you time to fix it and still drive it? they'll give you time to fix it </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're wrong on this one. Been to the ref once myself and failed the smog sniffer BAD and they did not label me a gross poluter. You get more then one try also. I don't know why people have to post false information and try to scare others. You are allowed as many tries as it takes. You get one free retry without paying, then you have to cough up the $30 again.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (Hybrid93Eg)

yer screwed, ref's dont mess around! i failed 2 times and my swap was pretty much flawless, but the 3rd time i finally passed. and he said i was the first swapped honda to be certified by him. but good luck!
Old 08-30-2003, 06:57 PM

Damn ya'll got it hard in cali i feel bad for you. its very easy in new york
Old 08-30-2003, 07:16 PM
New User

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (quickcoupe)

man cali;s got some really harsh on those laws.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're wrong on this one. Been to the ref once myself and failed the smog sniffer BAD and they did not label me a gross poluter. You get more then one try also. I don't know why people have to post false information and try to scare others. You are allowed as many tries as it takes. You get one free retry without paying, then you have to cough up the $30 again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

amen to this...when i went to the the ref i was 12x over the limit on emissions and crap.....

you are labeled a gross polluter until you get your car to pass the sniffer..

i failed once...went back and passed on my pretest...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!! (degooser)

well hell....maybe I can just put the hose on and show them that I fixed it and they'll sign it off.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:47 PM
official honda whore

if your lucky lol... im soo glad i live in pa and dont hafta **** around with smog laws and ****
Old 08-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

maybe it'll work because the ticket just says clear through the BAR, the cops took pictures showing the hose that wasnt there. The ticket doesnt say illegal motor, and that I have to have it inspected. It just says clear through BAR. I guess I'm just trying to think positive.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

help me out guys....any opinions, suggestions, ideas....thx
Old 08-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDMjdawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjdawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe it'll work because the ticket just says clear through the BAR, the cops took pictures showing the hose that wasnt there. The ticket doesnt say illegal motor, and that I have to have it inspected. It just says clear through BAR. I guess I'm just trying to think positive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt the smog ref will ONLY look at the breather tube. as soon as he pops the hood and see that engine, I bet you he will be looking for that BAR sticker on your ride. you definitly screwed yourself over but look at it in a brighter side since this is your chance to finally get the engine BAR certified. btw you don't have only one chance to get it right. I know a few h-t members on here that took 4-6 times before they passed the smog test and got their BAR sticker.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:51 PM

Default Re: (sleeperciv)

cali sucks!!!
glad us east coasters don't have that problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm screwed!!!!!Pulled over, gotta go to the BAR!!!