Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

im an old guy building a ricer....I think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im an old guy building a ricer....I think?

Im a motorcycle and old car guy. I am building what I believe is being referred to as a ricer but im still not exactly sure what that means. If i am comprehending it correctly it means it looks good but its not fast...If im wrong please correct me if im wrong.
Any way the car is a 94 civic hatchback. Im doing this car as a project with my daughter. She wanted an automatic civic hatch because she loves the looks of them. She wanted it to look good and different than the rest of the civics running around our town.
I got the car as a gutted shell. It did have the dash and a steering wheel inside and the car was painted with spray can black primer. I used a 2dr coupe as a donor car for engine trans and suspension. We also ended up using the dash and wiring harness. Put on some new Eibach lowering springs to give it a nice low look without being crazy low. bolted on some 17" wheels and painted the car hot pink with gloss black trim (still missing the 2 pieces for the rear quarters).
8 days after buying the shell it was a nice looking running driving car that she received for her 16th bday. Now we are looking to do the interior. We are removing the back seat for audio equipment and whatever. Im trying to find some ideas but cant seem to find anything i dont think looks half *** finished or just plain out tacky. Im also not very computer savvy so i figured this might be a good place to find some useful advice
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im an old guy building a ricer....I think?

Originally Posted by Open Road
Im a motorcycle and old car guy. I am building what I believe is being referred to as a ricer but im still not exactly sure what that means. If i am comprehending it correctly it means it looks good but its not fast...If im wrong please correct me if im wrong.
Any way the car is a 94 civic hatchback. Im doing this car as a project with my daughter. She wanted an automatic civic hatch because she loves the looks of them. She wanted it to look good and different than the rest of the civics running around our town.
I got the car as a gutted shell. It did have the dash and a steering wheel inside and the car was painted with spray can black primer. I used a 2dr coupe as a donor car for engine trans and suspension. We also ended up using the dash and wiring harness. Put on some new Eibach lowering springs to give it a nice low look without being crazy low. bolted on some 17" wheels and painted the car hot pink with gloss black trim (still missing the 2 pieces for the rear quarters).
8 days after buying the shell it was a nice looking running driving car that she received for her 16th bday. Now we are looking to do the interior. We are removing the back seat for audio equipment and whatever. Im trying to find some ideas but cant seem to find anything i dont think looks half *** finished or just plain out tacky. Im also not very computer savvy so i figured this might be a good place to find some useful advice

There is a fine line between different and ricer. Basically in the simpliest form i can put it, a "Ricer" is someone that puts parts on the car that are un-neccesary to the conditions of the car. For example, putting a HUGE WING/SPOLIER on the car to help with "Downforce" but the car is NEVER on a track and is on daily driven. Putting 12 gauges around your cluster "JUST FOR LOOKS". Putting a design on the side of your car because it "Looks cool" but it has nothing to do with racing sponsors or something to tell you different from another racer on a track. putting above 18 in rims to "Ride high" which does nothing for the performance of the car. Putting MASSIVE body kits on your car to help with aerodynamics and air flow but yet again this car is only daily driven. Chrome rims, 24 in rims ect on a HONDA is just a NO lmao. (Chrome and polished is a massive difference btw). Ricer is commonly and over used ALL THE TIME and most have no idea what it means. No obviously there is MANY theories behind what it means but these are some of the most common. Just type in Google "Ricer honda" and you will see what i mean lmfao
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Click this link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ricer+honda
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome. Please post some build pictures. There's also an Audio/Security/Video forum you might want to check out.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To tell you the truth Hondas get jacked all the time so I wouldn't buy $800+ recaro sr seats or anything crazy like that. I have some EP3 Si seats that look nice but are like sitting on a park bench. They run from $200-350, you'll have to modify the brackets to fit. For door pannels and other stuff the junkyard is probably going to be your cheapest bet. Also I would strip the primer and stain all your intirrior pieces to match.

Google: how to stain intirrior Honda tech
---- seats in eg hondatech and more then likely there will be full "how to" articles with pictures.

Welcome to ht
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by owen23
To tell you the truth Hondas get jacked all the time so I wouldn't buy $800+ recaro sr seats or anything crazy like that. I have some EP3 Si seats that look nice but are like sitting on a park bench. They run from $200-350, you'll have to modify the brackets to fit.
Nothing a FULL alarm stealth system, tilt sensor, gps monitor, clutch lock, detachable wheel and a garage can't fix. why go cheap on seats? This is something you will SEE AND LOOK AT EVERYDAY YOU DRIVE THIS CAR, might as well get the best and your favorite ones.

I live in the city that was #1 on most stolen vehicles for over 10 years. 90% of the cars were 88-00 hondas lmfao
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info already. Maybe its only partial ricer.lol The wheels are chrome but its because they were all I had laying around. the car didnt have wheels when i got it but we are looking into finding some nice aluminum wheels with a lip of some sort. At the moment she is not interested in going fast she is going for more of a show look.Im not exactly sure how to post pics but I will post when i figure it out. Security system and measures are coming soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info already. Maybe its only partial ricer.lol The wheels are chrome but its because they were all I had laying around. the car didnt have wheels when i got it but we are looking into finding some nice aluminum wheels with a lip of some sort. At the moment she is not interested in going fast she is going for more of a show look.Im not exactly sure how to post pics but I will post when i figure it out. Security system and measures are coming soon.
Pink spun wheels with chrome lip
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Better tell that 16 year old girl to not go to the mall, movies ect ect and to keep her phone on durring school to get the page when somone is attempting to jack her single cam civic... Also get low jack for when they tow that shiz; ohh and a hand gun and pit bull help too(just in case). Its a old dude building a car fir his girl, and itd be a shame if her first car gets jacked. I'm just saying at 16 it would be better to not floss out and just have something nice.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

At the moment she is not interested in going fast she is going for more of a show look.
Also check out the Appearance/Cosmetic forums.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the links and info. There are some very nice cars on here. right now hers is just a stock civic with a paint job and lowering springs. We are supposed to start on the interior tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the links and info. There are some very nice cars on here. right now hers is just a stock civic with a paint job and lowering springs. We are supposed to start on the interior tomorrow.
Listen, talk to her about some key things with the car. Like learning to drive stick so she can save cash and be able to drive someone elses "Manual car" if something happens. To TAKE OUT ANY IMPORTANT ITEMS out of the car when she leaves it(Money, ipod, phone, radio faceplate). Get her some nice cheap GSR leathers so she has some nice cheap seats. Start working on the engine and going basic a tune-up, maintenance, wire tuck, wash ect. lower the car on some GOOD QUALITY coilovers you are going to be spending anywhere from 600-1000$ for some nice coilovers,just suck it up and pay the price to have the car run nice. If she doesn't want the engine fast then GOOD! less problems and great gas. Get some little eye candies for the interior, because god knows 9/10 girls want looks over performance.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

KILL SWITCH ×100

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Came in expecting a body kit, 18's and a wing. I wouldn't say you've crossed the ricer line just yet.

Personally, I would look into some 15/16's for it. with 17's you lose a lot of side wall. Which means your loosing ride quality, as well as it being a lot easier for her to bend a wheel.

For a lip, a OEM EX/Si ( I think) is a nice simple, yet clean look.

and please invest in a quality, properly installed alarm system.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we looked at some 15's but im still not sure what she has decided on. i think for now she is going to use whats on it because she wants to put her money into the interior and audio (she is a music freak).
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gplock
KILL SWITCH ×100

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
I have no idea what that means
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what that means
Ignition/fuel pump kill switch is what hes refeering to
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately have something hat will deture theifs. Im gonna get a boot for my sol and a couple cut off switches. Im running 14s on it so it looks good and not tacky like alot of big rims. She like sub woofers? If so dynamat the car so it doesnt rattle like crazy. My tahoe has subs and on big bass the hatch rattles
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 for alarm and dynomat
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-your-dream-car-101-a-3102979/
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again for the tips. I started a build thread and posted a few pics. I will update it as we go. She's pretty familiar with taking security measures because she goes on motorcycle trips with me. I will still go over the things mentioned above though. I think the hardest part will be keeping her friends from doing stupid stuff. Like at her birthday party. 5 minutes after she got the car a kid decided the rear quarter panel was a good place lean back on so he could play with his phone. ?????? Wtf? I guess I just don't understand crap like that.