Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   I'm not convinced when it comes to Redline oil. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/im-not-convinced-when-comes-redline-oil-937407/)

Drew96EJ 07-25-2004 07:50 AM

I'm not convinced when it comes to Redline oil.

Hello,

I'm a bit worried. I switched from mobil 1 synth to redline in my civic and ever since it has had this ticking noise coming from the block that is the most apparent when you blip the throttle at idle or under heavy loads at low rpm's. seems perfectly fine otherwise, and sounds really nice still at high rpm's, but it was perfectly fine ALL THE TIME before i switched to redline oil. i am using 10w30, same weight i was using before with mobil 1.

is this common? does having moly instead of zinc as an additive cause engine sound differences? it's not really a bad or loud noise but it's definitely noticable if i pop the hood and blip it or if i drive next to a wall or something, and it wasn't there when i was using mobil 1. the noise immediately showed up after switching, and as rpm's climb the noise seems to be less noticable.

please advise. if i should start saving up for a new engine or something....if that's the case then redline is definitely not all its cracked up to be.

-andrew

cygnusX1 07-25-2004 08:01 AM

Re: I'm not convinced when it comes to Redline oil. (drew96EJ)

I don't know if I'd trust Red Line or Amsoil (especially Amsoil), I'm not sure if they're tested by ILSAC, (the guys who test all the major brands and certify them for use in their intended vehicles.) ILSAC puts the oils through tests and if they pass, ILSAC approves them. unfortunatley, companies don't have to submit their products to ILSAC. Synthetic is all I use in my motor and all I'll ever use. it dosn't really matter what brand of synthetic you use, as long as its synthetic. however, I"ve heard that Mobil and Chevron have the lowest pour-points.

electronb16si 07-25-2004 08:10 AM

"I've heard that Mobil and Chevron have the lowest pour-points."

I have never heard of this. What does it mean?

The ticking is most likely from your valves. If you haven't had them adjusted in a while you might need to do that. As far as the oil goes I don't know about additives but if you don't like how the new oil works just go and change it back to Mobil-1. My .02

itsJDMyo 07-25-2004 08:50 AM

Re: (electronb16si)

i've always thought redline oil was a good brand...it actually stopped the clicking noises from my friends engine...

cygnusX1 07-25-2004 10:27 AM

Re: (electronb16si)

the pour point is the coldest temperature an oil will pour at before freezing. it's not very relevent if you're not subjecting your car to -50 to -70 degree celcius temperatures, but it is a measure of how good an oil is.
how could his valves have gotten that out of whack by just changing oils? before he put the redline in there was no ticking, now there is... I'm not a mechanic, here's where I stop.

Drew96EJ 07-25-2004 02:35 PM

Re: (cygnusX1)

the valves were adjusted less than 8000 miles ago. plus its coming from the block not the head.

the oil started the noise, there is no doubt in my mind about it. anyone who cares to argue that point is welcome to try but their efforts will be fruitless. not trying to be rude but after all these people saying redline oil is so fuckin good and what not and now this happens, makes me think those people are full of shit.

-andrew

Drew96EJ 07-25-2004 03:25 PM

Re: (drew96EJ)

changed back to mobil 1 and the noise is gone.

fuck redline oil.