Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions

i just got this two days ago for 1700 dlls i want to do a swap but not to sure about
smog laws, or what would work well for me, i want it for daily driver but i want it to be somewhat fast. any suggetions advice and help is greately appreciated. thanks

my name is willie.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions (the_infamous)

Check out the sticky threads at the top of the forum, and also the Hybrid forum. There is an abundance of information regarding engine swaps and CA compliance.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check out the sticky threads at the top of the forum, and also the Hybrid forum. There is an abundance of information regarding engine swaps and CA compliance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For sure...since you are new and have not gotten used to the search function of the FAQ's at the top of the page here is a link to get you started

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1983150
Old 05-24-2007, 10:58 AM

hello willie
first off im in louisiana so i really dont know your smog laws. but if im not misstaken once you have the car legal in cali you only have to do that initial smog test the one time and even if not all you need to do is make sure you have a full exhaust what are your plans n/a or turbo also what is your budget?

heres a few ideas
N/A
personally i love an N/A build much rather than a turbo build
now lets just say you have unlimited funds
if thats the case N/a is easier and cheaper to build than Turbo
and if you dont feel like doing a K swap then just buy a GSR
Sleeve it 86 mm if fine for an n/a
buy a 2.2 ltr stroker kit 12.8:1 cr is fine for 93 octane
buy some cams skunk2 stg2 or some vtec killers
buy some itb's or for cheaper buy the IB intake manifold and if i were you i would just send the head off to IB ( ImportBuilders.com ) and let them do all the work get a mild pnp thier intake man smsp header ect have fun with it and with that setup you should get around 250 whp may not seem like a lot but for an all motor build that will leave you running low 12 high 11's

now for turbo expletive thats on you there are so many different setups for turbos ect you can basically do the same think as the allmotor build but your going to want a lot less compression and i wouldnt bore the motor no more than 84 mm go with a full race kit if you ask me i like those the best ect i dont know im just rambling on and on sounding stupider and stupider im going to sleep pce
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions (the_infamous)

You live in California dude. It's real tough getting anything to go with the smog laws here. Well, here's my input, since I live in Cali too.

Get a hold of a real cheap LS (B18A/B) LONGBLOCK, and then spend some real money on a Type R tranny (LSD too, if you can find one) and a good clutch. There's your modest quickness you want right there. I've heard good things about the output of a well-geared LS motor in EG hatches.

Now, I say USDM LS engine, because you're gonna need to spend some time and money to GET IT BARed! This will make it absolutely legal in the state of California. You'll need your motor to adhere to all the smog requirements it had in the last car it was in. This means the evap system, USDM computer, proper O2 sensor and catalytic converter, and any little extras you'll need to get it up to snuff. You need to keep your head up through the few bitch-*** refs that will turn you down flat, out of prejudice while you try to get them to BAR it too. Trust, it will take some time, but it will only be a MATTER OF TIME before you get it legalized.

Proof, my bud had a CRX, and he went through the same, but sure enough, he legalized his car with an LS engine in it.

PS- I have so much input for you because I intend to do the same someday.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im new to the forum and the scene and i have questions (BlackoutVTi)

Im 100% with Blackout... and USDM LS(B18B) is a great motor for DD, especially for those of us in Cali. With the right tranny you will be satisfied for a while with the motor until you decide what your future plans are. I cant see the pics(at work), but if its a 92-95 (possibly already has a D16z6, if not you can buy one) you can purchase a Greddy turbo kit minus the I/C (intercooler) for 1500 and have yourself a smog legal setup. BAR/Carb legal is the way to go in Cali, it will save you the 200 dollar shady smog situation as well as harassment from the Po.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (SkertySkerty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkertySkerty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello willie
first off im in louisiana so i really dont know your smog laws. but if im not misstaken once you have the car legal in cali you only have to do that initial smog test the one time and even if not all you need to do is make sure you have a full exhaust what are your plans n/a or turbo also what is your budget?

heres a few ideas
N/A
personally i love an N/A build much rather than a turbo build
now lets just say you have unlimited funds
if thats the case N/a is easier and cheaper to build than Turbo
and if you dont feel like doing a K swap then just buy a GSR
Sleeve it 86 mm if fine for an n/a
buy a 2.2 ltr stroker kit 12.8:1 cr is fine for 93 octane
buy some cams skunk2 stg2 or some vtec killers
buy some itb's or for cheaper buy the IB intake manifold and if i were you i would just send the head off to IB ( ImportBuilders.com ) and let them do all the work get a mild pnp thier intake man smsp header ect have fun with it and with that setup you should get around 250 whp may not seem like a lot but for an all motor build that will leave you running low 12 high 11's

now for turbo expletive thats on you there are so many different setups for turbos ect you can basically do the same think as the allmotor build but your going to want a lot less compression and i wouldnt bore the motor no more than 84 mm go with a full race kit if you ask me i like those the best ect i dont know im just rambling on and on sounding stupider and stupider im going to sleep pce</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are pretty much wrong on CA smog laws (not trying to be mean just letting you know)

You cant boost for high HP numbers in CA do to smog compliance, cant really build a high HP NA setup either unless you have a smog hookup or dont mind reverting everything back to stock when it comes time to take the test.

Agreed with 95project as well
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM

thanks alot of info,
my budget is not big but i can afford to save for this project with out starving too much.

n/a ?? natural aspiration? (all motor) not familiar with the terms..
yeah i would eventually want turbo but for now all motor is what i want.

my buddy has a crx 91. with a ls block gsr head or something and its prety quick.