Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 12:48 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC?

I am about to buy a 95 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.6 Vtec, and I am looking for mod ideas and some suggestions for what to do to get this thing daily driven and nicely into the 12.999 bracket of speed. I've heard it wasnt so hard, at least on the '94 model to get it into high 12's. I need some hints from people who are more experienced with the little Honda motors. No brand names, please, just things to do, unless there's only one company to make that particular brand. I plan on doing my own headwork. I'll exchange info and ideas with ya if you'd like. Thanks.

-Danny
Old 06-16-2001, 12:49 AM
New User

Default Re: Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC? (IAmWyoTech)

Oh yeah...I already have wheels/tires lined up, they're decent and cheap so that's a done deal. Anything aside of that would be very helpful. Thanks.

-Danny
Old 06-16-2001, 09:15 AM
New User

Uhmmm

You wanna get into 12s with the 1.6 sohc engine? thats expensive. only way to do it is to juice it with a mad re-inforced block or FI with a re-inforced block.

Best way to do it is throw in gs-r engine, or even an LS engine. you can get an LS engine cheap,t hrow on the turbo and BOOOOOOOOM, err not boom hehe, i mean VROOOOOOOM.
Old 06-16-2001, 12:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC? (CrazyScott)

A classmate of mine had a '94, back in 94 when nobody was modding the rice and he got it into the mid to low 13's and possibly high 12's with $3k invested. Crazy Scott - thanks I figured the swap was gonna come around I just was waitin for the motor designation :D Did anyone in here know that switching to a bigger wheel and tire combo (normally know as "plus sizing") will actually slow you down? All has to do with rolling inertia...
Old 06-16-2001, 02:59 PM
New User

you can find a full turbo kit for about 1200-up. it wont take that much to do it. one of my boys got a stock motor d16z6 hitting 12.7 with just turbo and little bolt ons. 2000 for a swap so you can hit low 15s with a dohc no way. just my .02
Old 06-16-2001, 08:16 PM
New User

Default Re: Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC? (Loco Honkey)

Well, resistance OR inertia, having more weight on the outside of a wheel makes it have greater moment of inertia (exactly what I meant, actually) - the engine has to work harder to begin to turn the tire, even if it is the same size. However, I do agree with you on the lighter wheels and tires and unsprung weight. Too bad alloys and mags cost more than the car I am looking to buy, eh?

To those with turbo ideas: I thought about the turbo, but I am curious just how much I would have to modify inside the engine to handle the turbo (excluding thicker head gaskets, which I know of). I am looking to have a motor to beat to hell every day and have WAYY too much fun doing it. Turbo kits can be had for much cheaper than 1200 though. Found an unused kit on EBay (ok so mabye its not the greatest dealer in the world...) for 900, because it turned out to be the wrong kit for the lad that ordered it. Think the engine could handle 300 horsepower without internal mods? I know my old Supra could handle 700 before it started to barf parts. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2001, 08:19 PM
New User

Oh yeah...anyone know off hand the bore and stroke, plus cam lift and duration for the 1.6 in '95 EX Civic Coupes?
Old 06-16-2001, 08:40 PM
New User

Default Re: Im looking for mod ideas on a 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC?

Oh, I am thinking 300 >:D not really, but I just priced and got things for a GReddy new kit. I can take it easy til I get the clutch and I'm hoping the stock injectors will handle about 4 PSI for now. Mabye the clutch too, we'll find out I guess. I may take out the loan for enough to get the kit as well, and worry about the clutch later. What with my doing port-work, I should be able to keep money along (that's the first time i've ever thought or said that, and DAMN it feels great to say it!!! ). Ill get everyone a pic ASAP of the kit installed, and my opinion and all. No stickers or big wings...just extra weight. Isnt the compression on the motor around 9.2:1? I didnt think that could handle much turbo pressure. If the cam is belt driven, it shouldnt hurt too much to add about .030 or less to the HG. Hopefully. But hell, if the motor can handle 8 or 9 PSI with that compression then I'm not complaining...saves me some time. And i'll have mine ported a bit too. Gives an edge...heh

Oh...Provided that the motor has DIS ignition, I wouldnt need anything except the BTM, DIS has the capacity to usually put out around 100kV. More than my teacher's 900HP drag car by almost double. I always wonder why he dosent go to DIS...

[Modified by IAmWyoTech, 12:44 AM 6/17/2001]
Old 06-22-2001, 07:10 PM

you could do it. the d series sohc motor isn't bad at all. you just have to know what you are doing. quotes from nitro and the old one:

"once TOO gets the timing down on the 1.6 SOHC VTEC, its output will be almost the same as a 1.6 DOHC VETC, assuming both have the blower."
- nitro

NITRO was correct in that once a proper cam was developed and the SOHC head was ported with a 1mm increase on intake valve size, ans a 2mm increase on the exhaust, the power out put is the same. Actually it's better with the SOHC as the combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC, and assuming all else is equal, the chamber config. is what makes it happen, both blown and normally aspirated.
So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!! - larry