Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'M HAVING TRANNY PROBLEMS!!! NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'M HAVING TRANNY PROBLEMS!!! NEED HELP!!

I need help, I broke my cv halfshaft on my passenger side of my 1993 Del Sol, Has a d16z6 motor with a turbo, i changed it out and pulled my car out of the shop, well then i pull away and try to shift to second gear, and the gear wont accept. So i turn the car off and push in the clutch and start it up, work my way through the gears, not lettng out the clutch, just testing them, and they all work, so i pull away, push in the clutch go to shift to second, it wont accept!!!. Now, i push in the clutch to start it, leaving it in nuetral i release the clutch and it makes a sort of poppin noise. So i lift it up, take off the dust shield on the tranny and look inside at the flywheel, well dont see ne thing really wrong, but i blow it out with air and some little metal chunks fly out. i start up the car and listen and it sounds like something is grinding? i dont know what it is and if the tranny if screwed or if its the clutch....but i need help or suggestions!!!!!!! NE THING COULD HELP!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 AM

SOunds like it could be a whole bunch of problems, if your clutch is engaging in gears it probably not that, could be the shift fork, not sure need more info
Old 10-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'M HAVING TRANNY PROBLEMS!!! NEED HELP!! (gooberguy31)

If it went into first and not second it was probally a blocking ring\synchro and it helps slow down mainshaft to go the same speed as counter shaft so it can shift and if it was busted then now you cant get into that gear but it also could be a shift fork as well but no matter what the problem is your looking at a rebuild.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'M HAVING TRANNY PROBLEMS!!! NEED HELP!! (gsrhatch2356)

Ohk, what if when it is sittin on the hoist so the wheels aren't touching the ground and i turn the car on and the wheels start to spin, they spin like neutral is an actual driving gear, but when i hit the brakes they stop and dont start again, and if it would be a rebuild on the tranny, couldn't i just get a new tranny, mayb a y8 and put it in?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Z6 are closer geared
Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant remember exactly but if the wheels turn when in the air I wouldnt worry about it to much i believe all manual cars do that to a extent. your main concern and the one that I always hear about is that the wheels turn when the car is up and clutch is depressed which indicates wear on clutch. but just fyi which i am sure you would anyway make sure you replace clutch and flywheel while your in there. just would suck to get new tranny on and 3 months later clutch goes out. and yes rebuild or new tranny either will solve your problem. good luck!