Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Im having GAS ISSUES. please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im having GAS ISSUES. please help

so my car has been sitting with about 3/4 tank of gas for like 8 months now.. and my car is not starting now.

i have spark. my ignition coil is fine.
the sparkplugs were wet and smelled like gas.(on all 4) so i assume im getting fuel

i ran to the gas station and picked up a gallon of fresh gas and put a lil bit down each cyclinder and tried starting it again. and it started right up for like 5 seconds. till that was burnt out i guess. then it died.

i no its a fuel issue. but im not 100% on wat to do about it.

wats the easiest way to drain the gas.. or is there any additive i can put in instead of draining.

is it the bad gas.. or could i not be getting enough gas.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (dizzyroc88)

there is a drain bolt on the gas tank but iono exactly where.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the car to the on position but not cranking it? Should sound like a little motor running.

If you dont hear that, check fuses and relays going to the fuel pump. If all that is good and the fuel pump still isnt coming on, replace it. That should be the first thing you check.

If it is running, check your fuel filter and see if it is stopped up. Drain the gas as well when you do.

My guess is that you had some dirt or debris that settled at the bottom of the tank since its been sitting so long.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (sasser43)

yea the fuel pump primes. all my fuses and relays are fine. its not an electrical problem. i know that for sure
Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (sasser43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sasser43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the car to the on position but not cranking it? Should sound like a little motor running.

If you dont hear that, check fuses and relays going to the fuel pump. If all that is good and the fuel pump still isnt coming on, replace it. That should be the first thing you check.

If it is running, check your fuel filter and see if it is stopped up. Drain the gas as well when you do.

My guess is that you had some dirt or debris that settled at the bottom of the tank since its been sitting so long.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (cwf1988)

its not my fuel pump fuel filter. relays or fuses.

you guys didnt read well. im getting fuel all the way to the sparkplugs... my problem is that it doesnt ignite
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your sparkplugs shouldnt be wet. I think it may be something possibly sensor related. And if the plugs are wet then they wont spark with the wetness. IDK?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (attentionwhore)

well i know they spark cuz when i dropp gas str8 thru to the cylinder. the car fires right up for a few seconds. and then dies.. i just tried it agian 5 minutes ago

now it sounds like it wants to start up but its choking ..... either im not getting enough gas or the gas that im getting is that bad.

if i were to pull the injectors out and start the car they should spray right?? thats my last idea to see if im getting as or not.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help (attentionwhore)

they do get wet btw. its just that if ur car starts like normal the gas doenst stay there long enough to make the sparkplug wet.

if u have a problem like me.. and the gas is being sprayed.. but nothing is combustig. then its going to stay wet .u feel me
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 AM

If the gas has been sitting for that long then it looses its ability to burn. I would drain a little from the tank and try to light it simply with a lighter, that will tell you if it really is bad gas.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird ****.

The problem's not even as weird as the answer you got. You poured gas into each cylinder and it lasted 5 seconds or so? Man, one stroke will eliminate/combust ALL gas in that cylinder within &lt;1/10 of a second. So if it was running, it was also running on the gas that not just you added, it was pulling gas from someplace else...may have been excess in the lines or something, who knows. The point is simply that it wouldn't have ran for that long if u poured gas directly into each cylinder.

Your problem's not the gas, it's something else.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

well it was the gas... ur right it lose its ability to burn but if there is already fire in the chamber its easier to keep lit than to start up from scratch..

i got up this morning and syphon'd the gas out from inside the car.. (you'll never do it from the outside the gas cap) i took out all the gas that was inside..and left my tank bone dry. filled up my 5 gallon tank and put in the car. i removed the fuel filter. and primed the car a couple times to clear out the lines. put everything back up together and fired right up. only took 2 cranks.

Modified by dizzyroc88 at 11:53 AM 11/30/2006
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you knew your problem from the get-go. Why didnt you try it before you wrote a thread?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dizzyroc88)

There are additives you can buy that remove moisture from your fuel system!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wickedsol94)

ive never had bad gas before... i tried an additive and it didnt work. and the threads i searched never had a conclusion. so id figure id make it. plus i didnt know how to get the gas out till this morning. so really the thread was pointless.. but maybe it will help someone else down the road.

here was my problem
the one on the left is wat i took out. from the car. and the one on the right i just bought from the gas station.

my car has sat longer before and it started up when i dropped the motor. wat could cause the color change like that..

i didnt see rust in the tank. i saw lots of dirt.. (it all came out with the gas)
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats some crazy **** man. I bought a Go-Cart years ago. When I got it, it ran, but idled like ****. Drained the gas and it looked like that. Girl who I bought it from said it had been sitting for over a year.

Thats weird as hell
Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wickedsol94)

yea i didnt know gas changed colors over time.... i first thuoght it was rust.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow crazy ****
Old 11-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (byronl)

im saying
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 AM

Yeah, old gas will do that, it starts to turn to almost a varnish look and consistency.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 PM

Im saying "WORD" my honda-tech brotheren... &gt;&gt;&gt; 330pm today

my del slow started doing the same thing... however i think its just air bubbles in the fuel injection lines from to many failed attempts at starting it with no gas while cruising down a hill in heavy traffic during rush hour(s)!!

I'm staying away from fuel additives they just F^%$^ everything up

as foolish as this is-------------

1.) check for loose ignition wires

this weakass d15b7 jerks out of its idle position when i redline each gear; and on such occasions it was feirce enough to pop the wires off my distributor cap.

2.) check to see the plugs are gapped correctly and torqued to spec

3.)seafoam can remove moisture in a fuel system however if you use to much with too little gas it seems to bog down the engine and when on E it creates a blown headgasket effect as it burns off the heavy mixture that sinks to the bottom through the gas.

4.)I also noticed once you start your honda on fully synthetic oils and seafoam you must keep up the regiment or the engine boggs down in lower rpms and acceleration from a stop is noticably weaker.

5.)Too many failed attempts will cause the cylinders to be wet with gas
this can easily weaken the fuel pump by pulling debris from your gas tank through the lines placing too much stress on the injection system and maybe its the mixture just running too rich for combustion.

... and yes that is possible.

One last suggestion since this is what I'm doing even though we have 2 completly different instances::

park you car in the sun on an incline with the rear of the car slightly higher than engine... my theory is that maybe after baking in the sun the gas in the gas tank will heat up slowly and pressurize the system pushing airbubbles through the lines essentially bleeding the air from the system. No effort invloved.... just the sacrifice you have to make sometimes

^seems like a thread jacking but its not^
Old 12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats weird...I bought mt EJ and it had been sitting over a year and a half and it cranked up the first time and ran fine.

It was low on gas so i filled it up and drove 2 hours home and it never gave me a problem.
Maybe the quality of your gas was bad from the beginning and over the 6 months it just got worse.
At least you got it solved.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: (AnotherEJ)

It depends on the instance

garaged or lying in the snow, baking:0- in the sun clean dirty

high vs low miles

i'm sure all the little things come into play

Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try pushing it out. if not stick ur finger in it. and itll drain..
Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Elwuudz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Elwuudz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends on the instance

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is true. mine was baking in the sun for that long, which is why my paint is terrible.

I assumed it wouldnt have been as good as it was but it cranked right up.

Modified by AnotherEJ at 6:22 AM 12/2/2006

Quick Reply: Im having GAS ISSUES. please help