Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls deleted my account

Pls deleted my account

Last edited by iDerikku; 12-09-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Pls deleted my account
Old 12-23-2007, 04:17 AM

2k for a gsr swap if you were to purchase it seperatly is not a crazy price for a clean swap.. Sooo... if you would swap it anyways, go for it!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (iDerikku)

buying someone else's swap can sometimes lead to a lot of trouble. Not everyone knows what they're doing. I have seen the WORST garbage hacking swaps. Wiring harness rats nests, motors that are in shitty shape, etc. Besides that, why do you think he swapped it? It wasn't to drive miss daisy. What condition is the engine in? It can be easy to cover up problems that will re surface in even a few weeks at times.

I would start from scratch.....but that's only if YOU know what you're doing yourself. Or if you're having the swap done for you at a knowledgable place, and if you plan on getting a legit swap from a reputable seller.

If you buy the GSR'd hatch, just be very cautious. If you dont really really really know what to look for, then take someone who does. Do a compression test on the engine. Check the general condition of the motor and it's fluids. If maintainence wasn't done, the motor really wasn't cared for. If the engine is dirty, salty, nasty, greasy, and grimy, there's a good chance it wasn't cared for. Make sure there's no check engine lights. The stupidest (and really widely used) trick sellers use is "it's got a problem/CEL, but it's totally easy to fix." If its "totally easy to fix", why wouldn't the seller just fix it first?

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love when people say "2k for a gsr swap"
can someone point me to the place that sells these swaps?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love when people say "2k for a gsr swap"
can someone point me to the place that sells these swaps?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol..i wonder the same too.cause i paid about $2200 for my jdm b16a sir 2 swap
Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures help out a lot around here.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love when people say "2k for a gsr swap"
can someone point me to the place that sells these swaps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've just gotta know where to look. I bought a wrecked '93 Civic EX with a GS-R swap for $800.

Not only did I get EVERYTHING I needed for the swap, but I was able to add a front swaybar to my DX, EX clock, EX gauge cluster, etc. etc. (and it came with a Rockford Fosgate system that I ended up selling for $350)

To the op, I'd personally buy the stock hatch...people do swaps to go fast and beat on the motor. Now, unless the owner is a neat freak about his car and had EVERYTHING done (maintenance wise) and took care of the car in general, then that's an exception.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (iDerikku)

we'll first off, I'm an 92 civic hatch Si owner too. You wouldn't happen to live in california would you. if you do, then i recommend that you just start out with the Stock Si. that way you have that single cam engine on the side for back up. When smogging comes around, believe me, you dont want to know. I'm already having a fat headache bout next april, kinda thinkin about swapin out my motor for somethin i can state reff. or maybe just go back to stock.

oh and you will weep and cry when you get a TEST ONLY SMOG certification in the mail
Old 12-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (spoon_concept_e

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buying someone else's swap can sometimes lead to a lot of trouble. Not everyone knows what they're doing. I have seen the WORST garbage hacking swaps. Wiring harness rats nests, motors that are in shitty shape, etc. Besides that, why do you think he swapped it? It wasn't to drive miss daisy. What condition is the engine in? It can be easy to cover up problems that will re surface in even a few weeks at times.

I would start from scratch.....but that's only if YOU know what you're doing yourself. Or if you're having the swap done for you at a knowledgable place, and if you plan on getting a legit swap from a reputable seller.

If you buy the GSR'd hatch, just be very cautious. If you dont really really really know what to look for, then take someone who does. Do a compression test on the engine. Check the general condition of the motor and it's fluids. If maintainence wasn't done, the motor really wasn't cared for. If the engine is dirty, salty, nasty, greasy, and grimy, there's a good chance it wasn't cared for. Make sure there's no check engine lights. The stupidest (and really widely used) trick sellers use is "it's got a problem/CEL, but it's totally easy to fix." If its "totally easy to fix", why wouldn't the seller just fix it first?

Hope everything works out for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

couldn't have said it better.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (spoon_concept_e

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buying someone else's swap can sometimes lead to a lot of trouble. Not everyone knows what they're doing. I have seen the WORST garbage hacking swaps. Wiring harness rats nests, motors that are in shitty shape, etc. Besides that, why do you think he swapped it? It wasn't to drive miss daisy. What condition is the engine in? It can be easy to cover up problems that will re surface in even a few weeks at times.

x2
Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Off the Florida Keys, in a place called Kokomo, USA

The way I see it is that if you want to buy a car to play with for only a year or less, buy a modded one because that way it already has stuff done to it, and when you sell, you won't loose much.

If you want to buy a car to keep for awhile or want to build something to call your own, buy a stock car. But, when it comes time to sell, you will definitely loose money.

Also, like previously mentioned, watch out for hackjob cars.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (B serious)

I guess ill add to the running tally....

"B Serious is totally correct"
Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another option is to buy the stock si and with the savings, boost it!! Easy switchback for when smog time rools around too!! And when it comes time to sell, take off you kit, sell it as stock and get a good return on your investment!!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 PM

The best deal is probably the one with the swap if everything was done right. But I would buy the stock one and have it all done myself.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I'm going to buy 92 Honda HB Si w/ GSR, worth it or I should buy 92 HB w/o GSR? (iluvmy2000civic

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvmy2000civicex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best deal is probably the one with the swap if everything was done right. But I would buy the stock one and have it all done myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. It's a **** load more expensive to build it yourself. You will most likely not get the money back. So allready modded cars are cheaper to buy....but I like peace of mind. Plus, I like building cars.