Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm getting raped here (Short frustrated rant)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting raped here (Short frustrated rant)

After spending roughly $400 on replacing both o2 sensors, my CEL pops up as code 63, o2 sensor heater malfunction. not sure of the exact Pxxx code. I try and try to figure it out. numerous questions, posts on H-T. even took a day off of school to take apart my entire dash and find out where the short in the wiring is. All that and no luck.

Go to South Honda, and let them deal with it. After waiting about 20 minutes, I'm told that both o2 sensors are bad, or have gone bad, and will need to be replaced and completely rewired for $930.00 - $76.00 that I've already paid for the diagnostic, for a grand total of $854.00. I'm fu**ed. That's almost a b16 swap on some damn o2 sensors

I'm not broke, thank God. Got my refund check from CAU earlier this month. I was going to get a b16 or possibly even a b18c after a little more saving, but i have to reevaluate that now. I guess I will be slow forever.

Anyway, I was told that it will take 5 hours to fix. I still have sometime before my emissions, not due until May 18, 2004. I'll probably have it done over Christmas break, if at all.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I know nothing about wiring and really don't even know why I took the dash off in the first place. I guess I just wanted to see if I could. Any wiring gurus in the GA area want to make some money?? or at least get some beers? comradery? car wash?? food??

Oh well, my current situation sucks. Code 63 ownZ my ***.

Thanks to Ricey McRicerton, and someone else..... (sorry but your H-T name eludes me at this very moment) for all the help you've provided so far.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (Jswpstdoff)

damn that sucks man

hope everything works out for you
Old 11-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is wrong with the wiring?
just seems like dealer bullshit to me. when where the o2s replaced? and who replaced them? what kind of car and motor?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (rathead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is wrong with the wiring?
just seems like dealer bullshit to me. when where the o2s replaced? and who replaced them? what kind of car and motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the secondary o2 sensor plug that goes into the ecu has a short in it. they want to rewire both sensors since the harness is a little cut-up from the auto to manual swap. 99 ej6, stock motor, front and back are Honda OEM
Old 11-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you try just putting a new o2 in again?
how old are the o2s?
WHAT COMPUTER?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 PM

front replaced on 9/22/03
rear replaced on 9/23/03

i haven't tried new sensors again, i suppose for a fear of wasting another $400 just to end up exactly where i started from

edit: i suppose if i let them fix it, they'll be putting on new sensors anyway, but i really don't think the actual sensor(s) is(are) the problem
Old 11-06-2003, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well ****, I would fix that problem in 1 hour. But I'm wayy far away.

Are you blowing any fuses?

So I assume that both of the O2 sensors are replaced, and you are still having the same deal. You might just have a little break in the wire and needs to be re-wired.

Do you have a helms?

What car d you have?

Keep me posted.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you try the sensor first?
all oem honda parts are warranty for a year from date they are bought. so you do not have to worry about spending 400.00 again until a year is up
i would try the sensor(s) first. who determined that is was an electrical short?
Honda-Tech Member

if you know how to take off the dash then you can probably change the harness, which one is it that they plan to change? Why dont you just say **** the CEL and roll it like that?

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (poison)

what fuses should i check??

stock 99 d16y7

Old 11-06-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (Slammed Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammed Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you know how to take off the dash then you can probably change the harness, which one is it that they plan to change? Why dont you just say **** the CEL and roll it like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why the hell would he do that?

Annoying CEL and no emissions done.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> why dont you try the sensor first?
all oem honda parts are warranty for a year from date they are bought. so you do not have to worry about spending 400.00 again until a year is up
i would try the sensor(s) first. who determined that is was an electrical short?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i may try this again. the dealer and the shop that replaced the sensors told me i needed to replace the wiring for the sensors as well
Old 11-06-2003, 04:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why the hell would he do that?

Annoying CEL and no emissions done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for answering. i suppose he doesn't understand. do they have emissions in Canada?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well ****, I would fix that problem in 1 hour. But I'm wayy far away.

Are you blowing any fuses?

So I assume that both of the O2 sensors are replaced, and you are still having the same deal. You might just have a little break in the wire and needs to be re-wired.

Do you have a helms?

What car d you have?

Keep me posted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think what this dude is talking about is the wires under the intake manifold. if that is the problem it would pop the alternator fuse, and then the alternator would not charge. that does not sound like your problem
Old 11-06-2003, 04:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WHAT COMPUTER?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the "little hand-held thing" they plug into the car underneath the dash.... what is it called??

anyway, he showed what the heater sensor should read and what it was actually reading...... there was a big difference
Old 11-06-2003, 04:30 PM

Well if you are only throwing Code 36, then that is only the secondary O2 sensor. Not the primary.

What kind of cat/exhaust/header do you have?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you are only throwing Code 36, then that is only the secondary O2 sensor. Not the primary.

What kind of cat/exhaust/header do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

code 63, not 36

custom exhuast, POS cat, no-name header........ cat had to be relocated underneath the vehicle after the addition of the header.

I don't even see a code 36 in my Helms. I have a 99 Civic (96-00 Civic Helms), obd2b, stock d16y7, auto to manual swap on 7/22/03. cut some auto tranny sensors which may or may not have caused this problem. why you ask?? they were slapping up against the radiator fan, in retrospect (sp) i should have just got a tied them down
Old 11-06-2003, 04:36 PM
u0f

if you are throwing a code for the secondary o2 you could either buy or make a obd2b-&gt;odb1 adapter and run a odb1 ecu... it would elimate the sensor on the cat.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (u0f)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u0f &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are throwing a code for the secondary o2 you could either buy or make a obd2b-&gt;odb1 adapter and run a odb1 ecu... it would elimate the sensor on the cat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought of that, can you run an obd1 program on an engine that is meant to be obd2b. i'm too scared to spend anymore money on something "might" work.

i want my b16
Old 11-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

code 63, not 36

custom exhuast, POS cat, no-name header........ cat had to be relocated underneath the vehicle after the addition of the header.

I don't even see a code 36 in my Helms. I have a 99 Civic (96-00 Civic Helms), obd2b, stock d16y7, auto to manual swap on 7/22/03. cut some auto tranny sensors which may or may not have caused this problem. why you ask?? they were slapping up against the radiator fan, in retrospect (sp) i should have just got a tied them down </TD></TR></TABLE>

and did you relocate the o2 (wiring) with the cat? when you replace the secondary o2 did the cel ever go off? (and then it came back on, or did the cel come right back on?)
Old 11-06-2003, 04:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and did you relocate the o2 (wiring) with the cat? when you replace the secondary o2 did the cel ever go off? (and then it came back on, or did the cel come right back on?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

secondary o2 sensor was relocated to the back of the cat. wiring extended for the extra distance. when the o2 sensor was replaced, the first time, it was off for about a week, then bam it popped back on. replaced both o2 sensors and it won't go away. not even for a minute after i reset it.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem, honda o2 sensors sell for a grip. I dont have money so i left the CEL on and got my car illegally smogged. **** that cel **** its a hassle trying to fix it and pass smog. Rather save up for a new motor...and thats what im doing right now.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks for answering. i suppose he doesn't understand. do they have emissions in Canada?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it sure in hells is alot better than spending a grand on having it fixed.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 PM

code 63, not 36

I don't even see a code 36 in my Helms. I have a 99 Civic (96-00 Civic Helms), obd2b, stock d16y7, auto to manual swap on 7/22/03. cut some auto tranny sensors which may or may not have caused this problem. why you ask?? they were slapping up against the radiator fan, in retrospect (sp) i should have just got a tied them down </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah my bad, I'm used to dealing with H22's and bull ****. Code 36 isn't really a code, but that has to do with traction control.

Anyways...

Code 63 is with the secondary o2 sensor.

Why do I ask??

Because wires get shorted out, break connection, get corrosion on them, and sometimes need to be re-wired.

I have an OBD2 chart at my house for the secondary O2 sensor, as you do. Being you currently have it with you, if you can....look at the ECU pinout that the secondary O2 sensor goes to.

From there, once you get it (or if someone knows the OBD2 pinout off hand), you need to hit up Radioshack, and purchase a Digital Multimeter, or borrow one from one of your friends if they have one.

Using the digital multimeter, put one of the terminals on the pinout that leads to the 2ndary O2 sensor, then put the other terminal at the color wire.

I know it's difficult, but something you need to learn and will be thankful for once you fix your own problem.

I swear I will be posting up a FAQ of how to use a digital multimeter, test voltages, and wires.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: I'm getting raped here (trooper0641)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trooper0641 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem, honda o2 sensors sell for a grip. I dont have money so i left the CEL on and got my car illegally smogged. **** that cel **** its a hassle trying to fix it and pass smog. Rather save up for a new motor...and thats what im doing right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

will swapping the motor erase the cel?? or do you mean that you'll swap the harnesses with the engine as well??

Quick Reply: I'm getting raped here (Short frustrated rant)