Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Im finally going to get my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im finally going to get my car!

Hello all. As you can tell by my name i drive that car....it sucks. I stumbled across a 1994 si hatch with a jdm b16 swap. He wants 8k for it.Tell me if it is worth it by all the mods that are done to it...you be the judge. This will be long so bear with me.....

Wings west front lip spoiler,projector headlamps,clear corners and also comes with vision amber lenses,fluidyne radiator,dc sports 4-1 header,jdm b16 with ported and polished and re worked head,titanium dual rev valve springs,titanium valves,carbon fiber intake,gsr injectors,00 si fuel rail,msd ignition w/ blaster coil,y1 trans with hydro conversion,h-a sport motor mounts,ngk plugs, nology wires,new water pump/timing belt,no a/c no power steering ..that just about does it for the engine...

As for the body...it has new paint...mercedes artic white to be exact, carbon fiber hood, wings west lip(sorry if i mentioned that) and its rollin on steelies if anyone could tell me what size those are that would be great. They are the stock ones. It also has shaved door handles..suspension- neuspeed race springs on stock shocks..ugh for the stock shocks...and a jamex strut bar...

The interior has indiglo guages, matrix short shifter, and the best INTEGRA TYPE R SEATS! front and back. It has a new windshield and i think thats really it...oh yeah i almost forgot it has a hondata stage 2 ecu..i believe thats it.

So for 8k should i buy this car? no rust,no accidents,perfect interior,perfect exterior, just needs the following so far.....camber kit badly,new shocks,new tires,a couple new gaskets on the engine,a valve lash adjust and of course since i dont want this thing stolen...a sweet alarm. I also want to tint the windows and i think thats really it.........So what does everyone think? is it worth it>? He is also throwing in some extra parts and an unused in the box set of rota subzeros...so tell me what ya think ok? sorry for the long *** post ~Ryan~
Old 05-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (1990CrxSi)

sounds good, but its been raced try getting it for a tad bit cheaper, if not then i wouldnt mind paying 8k for it, it sounds fast
test drive it for like 30 minutes and that really should be the deciding factor
Old 05-27-2002, 10:04 AM

Well there are a couple things that you need to concider. First of all sure, the car is decked out, so it should be woth eight grand right? Well in some people's eyes yes, but in others not at all.

Here are some things you might want to concider. The add ons are great, they help styling and they gain respect sometimes over the stockers riding around. But some of that stuff might get old after a while, and maybe a little juvenile in a few years.(clear corners, proj lights, lips, wings, etc.)

As for the things done that cannot be reversed like shaved door handles. Not good, because you don't know who did them and how long before you will have to redo them. This in my own opionion is a big NO NO. Soon you will see cracks, chips, paint discoloration. And this option is a little outdated anyway, just like minitrucks, it was cool for a while, now it kinda sucks.(opionion) You might want to think about that.

The engine: This may be a turn off. The engine in that car is a b16a first generation, so that means that it could be anywhere from eleven to thirteen years old. How many miles are on that motor? Where did it come from? Who will ever know. And the hydro to cable conversion, this is an aftermarket piece, which means that it could fail, causing you to have to get another. And the mount kit, those kits are pretty harsh, usually people who do the 2nd gen b16 swap can use the stock honda mounts that can retain stock vibrations factors. Oh and all that work on the motor, do you have proof of the head work? And all those valvetrain components, did you pull the valve cover? All I am trying to get at is this; people will do anything to sell their car, don't let him make an *** out of you.

Overall the cosmetic aspect of the vehicle is stricktly up to you, but you might want to think about the things that you cannot change back to stock, when they get outdated. For the engine, old motor in newer car=bad, that first gen swap into the 5th gen civics to me is almost a rig.

eight thousand is alot to ask for any 5th gen civic, no matter what it has. So be careful what you buy, you want to be really happy with it for a really long time.

All that pretty stuff is nice, but do really want a car that has been completely gone through? MAy be you could concider looking for a 92 or 93 cx and starting from scratch, doing your own swap maybe a b18c1, or b16a 2nd gen. In the end my way would cost more, but you get the peice of mind that you built the car, and you are not trying to "pimp" someone elses ride. You might want to try and get a virgin in good shape for cheap, and use your money on a motor swap, wheels, and a nice drop, you will be very happy.

Buying a car like that is risky. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but i just want you to concider all options. I personally prefer the clean look as compared to the completely decked out look. But these are just my own opionion. Hope this makes you think.

-4g4me's .02
Old 05-27-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (4g4me)

well thank you for the concern, i had never considered all those options but im pretty sure the engine is a second gen due to the fact that he changed the trans to a y1 trans...it had something else before on it and it sucked....i dunno im gonna ask anyway but thank you very much...you opened up my eyes to many things i didnt consider.Thanks.Ryan
Old 05-27-2002, 11:20 AM

why do you think that it is a sec gen just cause he changed the tranny! you can put that tranny on anything if you really want to , anyway that tranny is not the beat it may have short gears but it is also small splined. you would feel more proud of yourself if you take a completley stock civic and make it way tighter than that car, you really do not know the real back ground on that car and all the parts that are on it.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:58 AM

Y1 cable tranny, the hasport mount kit, and hydro to cable conversion all point to the fact that it is a first gen b16. Also the gsr injectors, 99 si fuel rail are key elements to fitting a b16 first gen into any 92 and up civic with obd1 elec, system. Those thigs arent upgrades, they are necessities.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (4g4me)

all great points 4g4me. Things I noticed-- The Y1 Transmission is a PITA. It's only a matter of time before the synchros start going bad on you. Hard to get a GOOD replacement Y1 tranny too. Also, all that internal work on the engine, there's no way in heck he can prove, or you can be assured that all that stuff is really there unless he rips the engine apart and shows you. For all you know he could just be lying...people do it all the time. And about the water pump/timing belt etc....what if those really aren't replaecd and the timing belt snaps on you on the way home? or the water pump seizes? If you like the car for cosmetic reasons, then i would say go for it. But if you're looking at this from a performance AND cosmetic aspect, screw it. I've seen plently and i mean PLENTY of very very nice, clean, b18c1 swap 5g Civics go for under 8K. And we know the b18c1 engine is at least relatively new---not something anyone can say about a 1st gen b16. And if you have 8K to spend, why not just buy a clean stock hatch and do a b18c1 swap yourself? 2-3K for a bone stock hatch, 3-4K for the engine swap. and you still got a lil leftover for rims! Plus it'd be faster than that 1st gen torqueless b16 those are my thoughts, and IMO it would be a much more safer (for the kinda money this is) way to go about it. My saying- "never buy someone else' project...there's a reason they are selling it"
Old 05-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (JDM Dasilva)

not a bad dealer but that motor is robably abused to hell
Old 05-27-2002, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (underrated99si)

Which is probably why he wants to sell.

Old 05-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i simply say don't buy it because u could build your own hybrid hatch and make it faster and look better while still having an understand of what's done to it. 8k, i say build your own car.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (blkgti)

i simply say don't buy it because u could build your own hybrid hatch and make it faster and look better while still having an understand of what's done to it. 8k, i say build your own car.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (NismoNX)

Which is probably why he wants to sell.
But if the motor has been maintained then all is good. Do a compression check for sure. And like theother guy said test drive it for atleast 30 mins. While you are test driving get on it, if he tells you to not do anything then dont buy it, there is probably something wrong. And, let the engine get hot, then let it idle for a while after you are done, just to make sure it wont overheat. This might sound stupid, but check the oil level just to see if he keeps it where it should be. And make sure the check engine light is plugged in in the back of the gauge cluster.

As for the door handles, if they were done right there will not be any discoloration or cracking. But that is only if they were done buy someone who knows there ****.

I actually think that it sounds like a good deal. If I were you I would do it, that is if the engine is sound. But get as much of the stock **** back as you can.

And if you get it, POST PCICS!!
Old 05-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (SlowB16)

forget that post pics of the car now if u can so that everyone can see what your talking about. but, try to wait because there are a lot of b18c1 hybrids selling for cheaper than that, u just gotta have patience to find the right deal.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:29 PM

forget that post pics of the car now if u can so that everyone can see what your talking about. but, try to wait because there are a lot of b18c1 hybrids selling for cheaper than that, u just gotta have patience to find the right deal.
my friend just bought a 93 sedan with a GSR in it for like $6700
Old 05-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (WannaBFast)

i'd pass on it. but that is just my .02
Old 05-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree, unless this is exactly what you were looking for...build your own and have fun doing it...
Old 05-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (99sicivic)

Too much money. Don't get excited because he has a "JDM b16" motor swap. Probably beat the crap out of it. Take your time and be patient. You can find another better car. ****, you can find a 92-95 EG hatch that's body is in good shape and do a motor swap. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (00MRSi)

Well i dont kno much about civic's i prefer preludes. But for one thing, you said he needs a few headgaskets? Those arent cheap. I have a 95' Cavalier blown headgasket and i went to see the estimate. it cost 1250$. Not worth fixing on it. i could be wrong though im no mechanic!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:07 AM

I came across my 92 DX HB with a 2001 ITR motor at the local impound yard. $3000 later it was mine. Doin a lot of stuff here and there to get it to my liking. I will be spending a lot less than $8k though. There are great deals out there, you just have to find them. Good luck on your journey.

[Modified by acuracing, 12:08 PM 5/28/2002]
Old 05-28-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (acuracing)

patience is the key word!!!
my buddy just sold his 94 eg hatch white...for 6,300$$ on ebay
spoon sw388 15" jdm b16a,,**** load of mods...8 grand is a ripp for a drag eg...sounds used and abused .02
Old 05-28-2002, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (aNaRcHyiNmYeK)

1st gen b16's in 5 and 6th civics

but..

I saw a civic hatchback clean as hell with all kinds of goodies with a b18b, I/H/E go for 5300.... i was devastated..i didnt get it

pass on that deal man, just take some time out and find something you can trust for a good price.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Im finally going to get my car! (djay86)

Acuraracing, I'm a bit dazed today. You said you found your hatch with a B18C5 already in it for $3k? Holy ****..