Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm burning some oil - is that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm burning some oil - is that normal?

Hi!

When I last changed my oil, I saw that I am burning some...

Yes, I did some hardcore redline with my weak DX, and NO i didn't change it at 3000...

I use Shell Helix 10w40 semi sinthetic (the class of Mobil1 10w40)... The car is Civic coupe 1996 (D16Y7)... I changed my oil at 3800 miles... I always change it at interval of 3000-4000 miles and I always change the oil filter with it (Honda OEM)...

Since this is relatively new car (I bought it some months ago), I never drove it before as hard as I did this spring...

I was almost all the time on the highway (nearly 3000 highway miles) so the car was on redline very often... the last redline visit was the most exhausting yet... 60 miles of full throttle (4th gear - 7000 rpm) non stop... the car took it with a smile, temperature was like sticked to the gauge (no overheating at all - not even a bit, like I'm driving 60 mph)...

I don't see any kind of weird smoke (black or white or blueish), my coolant level is constant, and my oil is bronze like it should be... car runs very well... there are no leaks...

But after those 3800 miles I saw that the level dropped from the upper mark to the mid level between MAX and MIN on the dipstick which would measure aprox 0.5 quarts...

So my question is... is that normal (to burn 0.5 quarts of oil on 3800 miles mainly heavy duty)...

I ask this cos my previous car, 1994 Si was always on redline and never took a sip of oil... but i was using Mobil1 5w30... so this is kinda strange to me...

Should I worry or is it normal?

Should I just switch to Shell 5w40 full sinthetic? cos I think it wouldn't burn it cos my knowledge tells me that full sinth. is much harder to brake than the semi sinth.

BTW, I cannot go with Mobil1 5w30 cos the weather here were I am requires at least 40 summer viscosity (yes it's very very hot)...

Enlighten me please!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So my question is... is that normal (to burn 0.5 quarts of oil on 3800 miles mainly heavy duty)...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm id say yes
Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (Art In Motion)

Thanx!

Anyone else has something more to advise?

Would 5w40 full sinthetic make any difference?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM

I'm not an expert but this is my speculation.....

I think if you switch to a lighter, full synthetic oil, you might make the problem worse. It's a lighter oil and I was researching oil types and they said 'if you leak with natural oil, your gonna leak more with synthetic'. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion but that's just what I read.

Also, I've had oil problems and many people on H-T tell me it's normal for Honda's to burn a little oil, especially when vtec is engaged (if the engine is vtec). I have a b16 and put 4.2 quarts of Royal Purple in every oil change (2500-3000 miles). Sadly, when I change my oil I only get about 2 quarts.

When I get money I'm going to by a compression gauge up at Schucks. If you're worried about burning oil, that's what I'd do. Check your compression and see if any oil is leaking past your rings.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What the **** were you doing going at 7000 rpms for 60 miles?! I think thats what you meant. Probally not normal, but thats not really bad.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

.5 quarts between oil changes is nothing to be alarmed about.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.5 quarts between oil changes is nothing to be alarmed about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Tom, is it normal to get about 2.5 quarts of oil when changing oil on a b16? It only has 37k on the motor. I put 4.2 quarts in every time, suggested by Honda. Is it possible my motor needs more?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (Ajax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What the **** were you doing going at 7000 rpms for 60 miles?! I think thats what you meant. Probally not normal, but thats not really bad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I was kinda testing my car... like I said, I recently bought it and never had a chance to test it...It was winter, snow all around so I wasn't able to get it to high rpm's...

So when spring came, I exchanged all the things that need to be changed (waterpump, timing belt, tensioner, oil, filter, belts, coolant, fuel filter and so on)... the car has 80.000 miles so I think it was time for that...

Then I drove it nice and easy a couple of days so everything settles (belts, waterpump) and to see if everything is OK (no coolant leaks, no oil leaks)...

Then I went to another state business related and I just hit it to the redline until the highway exit before the the state border...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wannaTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not an expert but this is my speculation.....
I think if you switch to a lighter, full synthetic oil, you might make the problem worse. It's a lighter oil and I was researching oil types and they said 'if you leak with natural oil, your gonna leak more with synthetic'. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion but that's just what I read.

Also, I've had oil problems and many people on H-T tell me it's normal for Honda's to burn a little oil, especially when vtec is engaged (if the engine is vtec). I have a b16 and put 4.2 quarts of Royal Purple in every oil change (2500-3000 miles). Sadly, when I change my oil I only get about 2 quarts.

When I get money I'm going to by a compression gauge up at Schucks. If you're worried about burning oil, that's what I'd do. Check your compression and see if any oil is leaking past your rings.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately, the engine is not VTEC... but will be hehehe!!!!!

Well, I think I have no leaks cos engine runs smooth as hell, very static idle and no hesitation accelerating... there is no weird smog and engine sound is very very healthy...

So I doubt that I have some inner leaks...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
.5 quarts between oil changes is nothing to be alarmed about.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pfewwwwwww

Well, you know, that's the best news I heard this week... and it has been a LOOOONG WEEK...

Thanx guys...

What about this change to Shell 5w40?

It is the same quality like Mobil1 5w30 it is just for European market... Very very good oil and very expensive too...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Unfortunately, the engine is not VTEC... but will be hehehe!!!!!

Well, I think I have no leaks cos engine runs smooth as hell, very static idle and no hesitation accelerating... there is no weird smog and engine sound is very very healthy...

So I doubt that I have some inner leaks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's good, I guess it just burns a little oil. Atleast is not even a full quart. If its a consistant problem and you start to burn more, than maybe I'd worry about it.

But you just helped me.... if you feel a hesitation in accelerating does that normally yield a leaking ring or multiple leaking rings? Because mine does feel like that about 5500rpm and up.

I guess I need to just crack down and buy that compression tester.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (wannaTypeR)

I'm not sure that Shell oil is the same. I've heard Mobile1, Royal Purple, and Redline are GREAT oils. I've never heard great things about Shell oil, but then again that doesn't mean anything.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But after those 3800 miles I saw that the level dropped from the upper mark to the mid level between MAX and MIN on the dipstick which would measure aprox 0.5 quarts...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought my car at 15K, and now it has 95K. It's done this at every oil change that I've done. All cars burn oil to some degree, no big deal. The limit for most manufacturers before they deem an engine defective is 1qt / 1000 miles.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:15 AM

Well, I would say that inner leaks can cause hesitation in accelerating process but I would NOT say that is the only reason... many factors can cause hesitation...

My first guess would be sparkplugs, plug wires and bad fuel/fuel filter, but inner leakage can also be the problem...

I do NOT want to mislead you cos there are so many things that can go wrong with the car which can cause your problem...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I would say that inner leaks can cause hesitation in accelerating process but I would NOT say that is the only reason... many factors can cause hesitation...

My first guess would be sparkplugs, plug wires and bad fuel/fuel filter, but inner leakage can also be the problem...

I do NOT want to mislead you cos there are so many things that can go wrong with the car which can cause your problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally understand and appreciate your senserity.

Recently I replaced the plug wires and fuel filter. I should check my plugs again, haven't changed them in a while. Especially with frequent high reving, the plugs could have easily been swamped with fuel.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wannaTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure that Shell oil is the same. I've heard Mobile1, Royal Purple, and Redline are GREAT oils. I've never heard great things about Shell oil, but then again that doesn't mean anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I heard only good things about it...

Even Honda dealership here were I am now sells Shell 10w40 or 5w40 if you change oil there...

I think that is a good reason to use it...

Here in Europe, there are not so many good oil brands available...

There are Mobil1, Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, Fuchs, Fina, Esso, STP blablabla... and only first 4 that I mentioned are worth mentioning
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Which sparkplugs are you sportin'???

NGK? Denso? Bosch?

Go only with NGK cos they are really the ONLY WAY TO GO...

Try adjusting the gap to 0.043in (1.1 mm)

And about sparkplug wires... I learned the hard way that the OEM ones are also the BEST ones for my car... after changing to NGK blues (after some shitty mouse or something ate my part of the wire hehehe), car started to cough, then I bought some shitty red ones - it was even worse...

Then I bought some performance wires from local tuning shop... OMG, that was the hell coming out of the wires...

Then I just went back to the OEM ones and stayed there until I sold the hatch... the guy is still having them on, no problem at all...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:29 AM

Currently I'm using NGK blues with NGK iridium plugs. I've been told I should go with a colder plug. I'm going to try NGK Rs next. I've never had any problems with the NGK blues. They are the same wires as the Spoon wires, they just don't have the medal braided wire around them.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:37 AM

Is it B16A2 engine???

If so go to this link and see if you have the right plugs

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1363025
Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM

Yeah it's a b16a2. I'll have too look at the part number, but when I went to Napa, they supposely looked up the part number and hopefully gave the right one.

The only problem with the iridium plugs are you can't adjust the gap, well aren't suppose to. I'm gonna buy NGK Rs and decrease the gap.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 AM

When I have some problem, I always go from the cheapest possible solution upwards...

So first check the plugs, filters, wiring (especially if it is a B16swap and not the stock Si), then go further...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:51 AM

Good idea, I'll go at it on pay day Sorry to jack your thread, but yeah its an Si so its stock but we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I've seen engines use 2-2.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes (at 3000 mile intervals) and still not have any blue smoke whatsoever. i know it sounds bad, but the engines seem to run awesome still - they just use a bit of oil.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Yeah, me too...

My wives dad has a 1984 Civic automatic 90HP...

Burns a quart of oil on 1000 miles but the car runs great and strong with over 300.000 miles on it...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im with everyone else...if you burn that small of an amount then just dont worry about it but if you start seeing blueish smoke comming out of the exhaust then i'd worry a little
Old 07-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: I'm burning some oil - is that normal? (Mugenhatch9698)

From my knowledge..

blue smoke = burning oil?
white smoke = running to rich?
black smoke = ..i dunno

Please correct me if I'm wrong and what does black smoke generally mean.

Quick Reply: I'm burning some oil - is that normal?