Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm a B-liever! Swapped & BAR'd!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I'm a B-liever! Swapped & BAR'd!

Well, I finally swapped my D15B7 for a B18C1 w/JDM ITR tranny (4.7 final/LSD). I knew it would be a big difference, but wow...it's like a completely different car now. For the time being, it's essentially a completely stock swap (though the pistons are PR3s and the head has been ported/polished). The cams, intake, and header are all stock, there is really no significant difference in the dyno numbers (145whp, or about 170+ flywheel hp). I'll be swapping the stock cams, intake manifold, and header in the next couple of months, so that should wake the engine up.

I took to get the car BAR'd yesterday and it passed first time. The REF was super cool about it and commented on how clean the install was. Incidentally, I posted a question a few weeks ago about whether I'd need to re-smog my car if I just had one done with my old motor. The verdict was that I would need to re-smog the car after the engine change. I asked the the REF about it and he told me I didn't need to re-smog...just do it when it's due again in 2 years.

While I was at it, I asked him about BARing JDM engines and he said that HE won't BAR them as of now. I mentioned that there are others on this board, particularly in SoCal that have BAR'd JDM engines this year. He simply said that this didn't surprise him. But he won't BAR them. Good thing I went with USDM.

fm
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: I'm a B-liever! Swapped & BAR'd!

Congrats.

Must be a pain in the *** to live in California and be a car enthusiast.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andoxviii

Must be a pain in the *** to live in California and be a car enthusiast.
That's what I always think when I see all these cali guys worried about being Bar'd, etc. I don't even know exactly what that means.

Damn am I glad I live in NC.

OP, Congrats on the car also!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
Well, I finally swapped my D15B7 for a B18C1 w/JDM ITR tranny (4.7 final/LSD). I knew it would be a big difference, but wow...it's like a completely different car now. For the time being, it's essentially a completely stock swap (though the pistons are PR3s and the head has been ported/polished). The cams, intake, and header are all stock, there is really no significant difference in the dyno numbers (145whp, or about 170+ flywheel hp). I'll be swapping the stock cams, intake manifold, and header in the next couple of months, so that should wake the engine up.

I took to get the car BAR'd yesterday and it passed first time. The REF was super cool about it and commented on how clean the install was. Incidentally, I posted a question a few weeks ago about whether I'd need to re-smog my car if I just had one done with my old motor. The verdict was that I would need to re-smog the car after the engine change. I asked the the REF about it and he told me I didn't need to re-smog...just do it when it's due again in 2 years.

While I was at it, I asked him about BARing JDM engines and he said that HE won't BAR them as of now. I mentioned that there are others on this board, particularly in SoCal that have BAR'd JDM engines this year. He simply said that this didn't surprise him. But he won't BAR them. Good thing I went with USDM.

fm
Congrats.. seems like im going to have to get a usdm b18b or b18c1....lol. damm. I prefer Jdm cuz of the miles.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all. Yeah, living in CA is a pain for car junkies, but there are other things that make it worth it.

Oh, and after the swap, I checked and I got 30+MPG. With a JDM ITR tranny...simply amazing. I imagine it would be a lot better with an LS tranny. My D-series would consistently get 35-38 MPG, so while it's a drop, the trade-off is worth it.

fm
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all. Yeah, living in CA is a pain for car junkies, but there are other things that make it worth it.

Oh, and after the swap, I checked and I got 30+MPG. With a JDM ITR tranny...simply amazing. I imagine it would be a lot better with an LS tranny. My D-series would consistently get 35-38 MPG, so while it's a drop, the trade-off is worth it.

fm
The 2000 Intrgra LS and GSR are both rated for 22/28 MPG.

The LS tranny doesn't improve mileage on a vtec engine, but it does help keep a non-vtec B engine from having to rev too high under cruise conditions.

Since you have a B18C1, don't worry about fuel use and the transmission. Swapping to the LS tranny would just hurt acceleration, but not provide any real mileage gains. These engines have no issue with cruising at 4k RPM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear...and I can live with 30mpg...considering what newer cars w/similar power to weight ratios get, I'm really happy.

fm
Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the REF didn't give you any trouble about the vin on the tranny?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor is an OBD1 swap, so no VIN there. The tranny is JDM, and JDM motors/trannys don't have VINs either...unless I'm misremembering. Either way, he never said a word about the tranny, even after I mentioned how I was surprised at the gas mileage given the short gearing.

fm
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the whole bar process work? What can of paper work did you have to show the bar station?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only paperwork that I had to bring to my REF station was my current registration. It's a good idea to bring your bill of sale, but when I asked him if he needed it, he said he didn't. I also brought the receipt from the shop that did the swap for me, showing everything they'd done and all the parts they used. The only thing he ended up looking up was the EO number for the CARB-legal cat I put on. It was all good.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. He went over the engine compartment with a fine-toothed comb, making sure all the emissions equipment was there and functioning. He checked the wiring to be sure all of that was done legit and nothing was Mickey Moused. He checked for the cat. He checked the ECU to be sure it was the correct one. He jumped the CEL plug to be sure there were no CELs. He pinched off the line between the fuel filter and the gas tank, put a special gas cap on and filled it with compressed Nitrogen and checked for leakage. There was none. He asked me a few questions, but nothing that he couldn't verify himself by looking in the engine compartment.

It took about as long for him to enter the data in the BAR database and print my BAR label as it did for him to do the inspections. He then told me that since I'd already gotten my smog a few weeks before I didn't have to do it again until the next time around.

I was nervous going in, but it was clear to me that he was a perfectly reasonable tech and he wasn't going to be a pr1ck about anything. Just checking to be sure nothing done half-@ssed. If he had found something, I'm confident it would have been a legitimate issue and I would have dealt with it accordingly. I don't understand why more people don't do this.

fm
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only paperwork that I had to bring to my REF station was my current registration. It's a good idea to bring your bill of sale, but when I asked him if he needed it, he said he didn't. I also brought the receipt from the shop that did the swap for me, showing everything they'd done and all the parts they used. The only thing he ended up looking up was the EO number for the CARB-legal cat I put on. It was all good.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. He went over the engine compartment with a fine-toothed comb, making sure all the emissions equipment was there and functioning. He checked the wiring to be sure all of that was done legit and nothing was Mickey Moused. He checked for the cat. He checked the ECU to be sure it was the correct one. He jumped the CEL plug to be sure there were no CELs. He pinched off the line between the fuel filter and the gas tank, put a special gas cap on and filled it with compressed Nitrogen and checked for leakage. There was none. He asked me a few questions, but nothing that he couldn't verify himself by looking in the engine compartment.

It took about as long for him to enter the data in the BAR database and print my BAR label as it did for him to do the inspections. He then told me that since I'd already gotten my smog a few weeks before I didn't have to do it again until the next time around.

I was nervous going in, but it was clear to me that he was a perfectly reasonable tech and he wasn't going to be a pr1ck about anything. Just checking to be sure nothing done half-@ssed. If he had found something, I'm confident it would have been a legitimate issue and I would have dealt with it accordingly. I don't understand why more people don't do this.

fm
Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand why more people don't do this.

fm
Easier said then done sometimes when dealing with state ref's ..congrats though ..this gives me hope for the future when I plan on doing a swap as well
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
New User

[QUOTE=fungus mungus;41695228]Well, I finally swapped my D15B7 for a B18C1 w/JDM ITR tranny (4.7 final/LSD). I knew it would be a big difference, but wow...it's like a completely different car now. For the time being, it's essentially a completely stock swap (though the pistons are PR3s and the head has been ported/polished). The cams, intake, and header are all stock, there is really no significant difference in the dyno numbers (145whp, or about 170+ flywheel hp). I'll be swapping the stock cams, intake manifold, and header in the next couple of months, so that should wake the engine up.

fm[/QUO
where did u get it ref?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Salinas