Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm about to break down,em1 cooling/fan problem....

Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm about to break down,em1 cooling/fan problem....

On my way home from school,in stop and go traffic,I noticed that my temp was pegging the H on the gauge and the car lost power.I pulled over and let it cool down,I started it a few times to check the temp and I noticed that my fan doesn't kick on,that's not normal. I came home and replaced the engine coolant temp sensor(front side of the head) as well as the coolant temp switch.(right by the thermostat). Made sure there was no air in the system and let the car run in idle.temps rise and fan still doesn't come on.we think it's a bad switch so I got another one and the same scenario played out,temps rise...fan doesn't kick on.we wired the fan so it stays on all the time,ran it in idle and then ran the motor at about 2k rpm for about 5 minutes,temps are still rising.

I don't know what else to do,I'm about to seriously break down.on my way to school,one of the plug wires decide to take a **** and threw a cel and now this.

Please help
Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I'm about to break down,em1 cooling/fan problem....

check the ran relay? hard wire the fan and see if it runs.. make sure your thermostat is good
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

What year?

The coolant temp sensor has nothing to do with an over-heating problem unless coolant is leaking from it.

Is the coolant now low in the radiator or reservoir? Have you looked carefully for a coolant leak (hoses, radiator, water pump)?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no leaks in the system.

I feel so stupid but i finally touched both the upper and lower rad hoses and noticed the lower one was cold. Thermostat it is.....

Bought an oem one and will put it in a bit, right now the car is running w/o one.

What do you guys think i should do about my fan?

Right now,it is wired as to where it will be on all the time. Should i revert it back and see if the fan finally kicks on when it's supposed to? (Main root of my problem was that the fan never kicks on and car temp rises, now i know that it won't overheat but I DONT know if the fan will work how it should be if I revert it back to stock configuration.)
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, im new to this site (first post) but i just bought a 93 del sol that doesnt have a working fan, and my problem was the stuff inside the fan motor worked its way out of the fan motor. try looking around for some black wire looking stuff (flat) near the fan motor, possibly sticking out
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3
There are no leaks in the system.

I feel so stupid but i finally touched both the upper and lower rad hoses and noticed the lower one was cold. Thermostat it is.....

Bought an oem one and will put it in a bit, right now the car is running w/o one.

What do you guys think i should do about my fan?

Right now,it is wired as to where it will be on all the time. Should i revert it back and see if the fan finally kicks on when it's supposed to? (Main root of my problem was that the fan never kicks on and car temp rises, now i know that it won't overheat but I DONT know if the fan will work how it should be if I revert it back to stock configuration.)
$amGD3, what'd you do about this problem? i've got the same deal. changed the thermostat, fan still won't come on. lower radiator hose is cool too. also changed ect sensor (but yeah, that wasn't even necessary), flushed the radiator, no clogs, and bled the system. both engine fan and radiator fan stay off.