Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM.

I just cannot figure this out. I've tried to bleed the coolant the best I could (no bleen valve). And I swear to God if someone says a vacume leak, I'm going to FU*KING shoot them. I've checked all sources of vacuume that the motor can have, MAP, FPR, Wastegate, BOV, TB gasket and intake manifold gastet. I've tried to mess with the set screw and nothing. If I try to unplug the IACV then the car will instantly die. I'm not sure if that is supposed to happen but I don't think so. Does anybody have a shotgun? Preferably with some big slugs to put in it. This car has so much money tied up in that i'm about to pull out all of my hair. you name it and i've got it in this car. so this ******* 500 rpm surge is killing me. TPS is set at .45V too.
Please help!!!

LS/VTEC
LS Block W/GSR head
OBX type-r intake manifold
I Belive that it has a B16 throttle body not sure though, no FITV
GM 3 bar map sendor
Apexi Power FC W/Commander
Precision 880 injectors
JE pistons
H beam rods
57 trim turbo
35mm wastegate
All new ignition parts
B&M FPR and guage
High Flow Fuel rail
Greddy style BOV
Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM. (Mr. LS VTEC)

be more discripted......just saying it surges doesnt tell me alot.......
Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM. (turbo_crx_sir)

Car will surge at any PRM, cold or warm. The surge will fluctuate 500 PRM's at any RPM, not just idle. If I hold the throttle at 3000, then it will still surge. This sounds like a vacuum leak but I can't find one anywhere. I have not tuned the Power FC yet. Could this be a tuning problem and I'm just freaking out for nothing. I am running 880 injectors. Oh and sorry about the really upset first post. I was pretty pissed of last night. But today is a new day. I think that I'm going to replace the throttle body and IM gasket today, and re torque them. I've already replaced the lines, and bled the coolant as best I could. What would be the proper proceedure for bleeding the coolant without a bleeder valve?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrm, maybe those big injectors untuned are causing the surge? i dont know, still sounds like a vaccum leak, but if you say you've checked everywhere..bleh i dont know wish i could help more
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you actually replaced gaskets? or just CHECKED them, cause my intake gasket looked perfectly fine when it went on, but sure enough that was my problem. good luck with it though.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM. (Heylookits shawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heylookits shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrm, maybe those big injectors untuned are causing the surge? i dont know, still sounds like a vaccum leak, but if you say you've checked everywhere..bleh i dont know wish i could help more</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think your right. my friends 660 did the same thing.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 AM

Try this...cover the throttle body with the palm of your hand..and see if the car dies...
if it is...then it is not the vacuum, but maybe more of your IAC....and also cuz of the big injectors.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Default Re: I'm about to BLOW THIS CAR UP!!!!!!! SURGE PROBLEM. (cinq)

check the injector seats, you could have a vacuum leak there. Get a little bottle of propane and let some out around the injectors, and if the idle rises, you found your leak
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

KABOOOM
Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

I havn't thought about a vacume leak around the injectors. I'll spray some carb cleaner around them and see if it gets sucked up. I hope that that is the problem because i really don't want to start taking things off again. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming if you have them. Oh and can somebody please tell me if my car shouuld die if i unplug the IACV. Every other post that i read says that the car is supposed to idle a little bit lower (not die). Mine dies instantly. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and the piston moves a lot better now then it did but I'm not sure if it works electrically. If there is a test that anybody knows then can you please tell me.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. LS VTEC)

Bump for more advice. I'll let everybody know what happens when i check the other things.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk if this is the case with your car, but on my old GSR i had the coolant lines that run to the TB/ intake mani ran wrong , and it took me forver to figure out that thats what it was. it was somehow by-passing the iac motor.
after i re-routed them i was golden

hope this helps man, i been there too. just dont kick any dents in your car. haha.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crappyDC4)

OK, I replaced the gasket and sprayed the injectors with carb cleaner and still nothing. If I unscrew the idle adjustment screw then I can get it to surge a little faster and only about 300 PRMs. It still isn't a fix, but I'm hoping that it will get resolved in the tuning. How do you bleed the coolant without a bleeder valve. Do you just draing the system completly and just fill it up with the car running?

Oh and I still havn't gotten a response about the IACV, Why does my car die immediatly after i unplug the thing. It shouldn't do that.

Those of you out there with GSR's, can you tell me what color the wires are that go to your IACV.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (Mr. LS VTEC)

what about the fast idle valve ive seend those spring come apart inside the housing you know underneith the t/b
Old 10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93DelSolSiR)

Don't have a FITV.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM

when my car was doing this.. 2 of my plugs were switched up.. the map sensor plug.. annnddd i cant remember what the other one was but.. both plugs looked the same.. anyways, good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to run it without the cap on with the heat on full blast.... let the fan cycle on and off at least twice....
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

This is exhausting, I think that my main problem with this car is that there are so many parts on this motor that are from different engines. I have a TB with two coolant lines under it and I have never used them before, It isn't a FITV though. With the OBX GSR Intake Manifold, I just hooked the water hoses up like I did when I had the Type-R IM on. With the GSR IM the main water line that comes out of it has a smaller one that kind of Y's out of it, is this just like the Type-R IM where the two lines were separated? Do they hook up the same way?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK surge problem fixed. The 880 injectors were not compensated for with the Power FC. The injectors were set for 100% and needed to be around 27% for right now. I'll let the tuner mess with it later.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 AM

i have a feeling the car dies when you unplug the IACV because the engine is getting so much air through the leak, that the IACV is probably screwed all the way in. So when you unplug it, it loses power and allows more aire to enter then engine, stalling it out. Idk, made sense in my head.