Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise

Hey all, been lurking for a bit but I am having troubles narrowing down answers so here goes. Before I get the flamage, I'm a vortex refugee so I know all about euro's just don't know jack about hondas.

I have a 93 cx and am planning to do a b16 swap this winter but for right now, I am just trying to make it drivable as a winter beater. My shocks are gone so I want something that I can raise for the snow and lower for the summer.

I've heard koni yellows and ground control coil sleeves are the dogs ***** so my question is, is this a good setup for drivability around town and where can I go to purchase a complete set.

Last question, I am looking for a relatively quiet exhaust system as mine is dead. Any one know of a non coffee can/chromed out set up that is still less restrictive than stock?

Thanks for the answers folks.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (VR6 driver)

never heard of the dogs *****, heard of the cats ***, but thats cool. the yellows and the gc's are ok but they arent anything close to a full coil over system. but if you are looking to lower cheaply, thats the way to go. as far as exhaust, we have been installing vibrant mufflers on turbo cars, very quiet, straight through design, and they look stock. but thats just mu oppinion. i like the coffee can on turbo cars but thats just me, i have an apex-i n1 with full 3". loud as ****.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (VR6 driver)

Well, i've heard that the Tein super streets are really soft, I guess to make up for all the bitching americans have about 'rough ride quality'. I've also heard that Skunk2 is crap, but that's also personal opinion and secondhand info. Koni REDs+ Ground Controls are good because they are ground controls+eibach springs. Omnipower is probably the next step up from coilover sleeve to true coilover, and if you preload them wrong, people have had them snap in half, which isn't a party.

I have an Apex'i World Sport and it's really quiet, it isnt ricey, but it is stainless steel and shiny. If you want quiet and unnoticeable, i'd do a Vibrant flat black muffler with a good 14-18" resonator on the pipe, that'll do real well with killing sound.

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (boostedcivicsir)

Yeah I think I will go full out coilover when the need arises but for right now, I think the GC/koni setup will do me just fine.

Are there any good sites I can go to to purchase a complete suspension setup cheaply?
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VR6 driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey all, been lurking for a bit but I am having troubles narrowing down answers so here goes. Before I get the flamage, I'm a vortex refugee so I know all about euro's just don't know jack about hondas.

I have a 93 cx and am planning to do a b16 swap this winter but for right now, I am just trying to make it drivable as a winter beater. My shocks are gone so I want something that I can raise for the snow and lower for the summer.

I've heard koni yellows and ground control coil sleeves are the dogs ***** so my question is, is this a good setup for drivability around town and where can I go to purchase a complete set.

Last question, I am looking for a relatively quiet exhaust system as mine is dead. Any one know of a non coffee can/chromed out set up that is still less restrictive than stock?

Thanks for the answers folks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had koni yellows and eibach on my prelude and it was great for daily driving. But tahts a prelude. Ground Control uses eibach springs and they let you choose spring rates too. Im sure ground control can provide a nice setup for you. I never hear anything bad about ground control.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never heard of the dogs *****, heard of the cats ***, but thats cool. the yellows and the gc's are ok but they arent anything close to a full coil over system. but if you are looking to lower cheaply, thats the way to go. as far as exhaust, we have been installing vibrant mufflers on turbo cars, very quiet, straight through design, and they look stock. but thats just mu oppinion. i like the coffee can on turbo cars but thats just me, i have an apex-i n1 with full 3". loud as ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually theres a full coilover set that ground control, koni, and eibach have. It even comes with a ground control top hat. ill try to find a pic of it. runs for like $1000 or so.

EDIT - check this out. Koni yellows, ground control, and eibach springs. cant go wrong.

H-T get a discount http://www.ground-control-stor...I=682

Modified by tdo at 8:59 AM 10/3/2005
Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 AM
* B A N N E D *

http://www.aeiperformance.com
if it isnt listed, call Rob, tell him mike with the H22 sent you. (my car is the project car on the website) he should actually have the cheapest prices.

as far as exhaust, you might want to look into getting piping from whereverthefuck like just a muffler shop bender, then get an rsx-s or ITR muffler, i've heard great things!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never heard of the dogs *****, heard of the cats ***, but thats cool. the yellows and the gc's are ok but they arent anything close to a full coil over system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have to disagree with this. For example, tein basics can be had for the same amount of money, and the gc/koni &gt;x10000 over the tein's. The tein's aren't even damper adjustable whereas the koni's are. Other than that, I think the quality of the gc/koni is much better than alot of the full coilover setups (ie d2's, omnipowers, etc.), especially for the price.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (vsm98civic)

any more advice?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have koni yellows with eibach springs, and it's fantastic.

I'd also go with a apexi World sport.
Tha'ts my next purchase
Old 10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (vsm98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would have to disagree with this. For example, tein basics can be had for the same amount of money, and the gc/koni &gt;x10000 over the tein's. The tein's aren't even damper adjustable whereas the koni's are. Other than that, I think the quality of the gc/koni is much better than alot of the full coilover setups (ie d2's, omnipowers, etc.), especially for the price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen.

"Full coil-overs" are not always what people advertise them to be.

Depending on which rates you go with for the GC/Eibach springs you very well could have a better handling package than a lot of full coil-over set-ups.

There are a shitload of road racers and auto-Xers who run GC/Konis, myself included, and could not be happier with them. (Not trying to mislead anyone - I'm not a road racer, and I've stopped auto-Xing a while ago, but the car did awesome when I did auto-X and it's way fun on the street still.)

Keep in mind though that if you get a rear-biased spring set-up it won't ride awesome, but when the weather is nice you'll appreciate it.

I personally run 425F/550R rates with my Konis on full stiff, backed off 1/4 turn as to not damage the adjusters. My car handles better than my wife's old Civic with Bilstein/Neuspeed full coil-overs, but her car rode better due to the more subdued rates and damper valving.

Bottom line:

What are you willing to spend?

What do you really want from the suspension?

You may not even need crazy rates, and hell you may even want soft rate lowering springs on some KYB struts if you want OE-like ride with slightly lowered stance.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (B18C5-EH2)

Well, I am running a fully adjustable H&R coilover setup in my GTI so I know what a ball breaking ride is like. Primarily in order of importance, this is what I am looking for...

1) cost
2) sensible ride quality (not stiff as a board but I don't mind it a little bumpy
3) ability to raise and lower due to seasons and it being a winter beater with hopes to make it a autox-er in the spring.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 PM

hmmm I can recommend the ES Oval Muffler (that's what I have) as far as muffler choice goes...cheap price and it's not too loud either
Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VR6 driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Primarily in order of importance, this is what I am looking for...

1) cost
2) sensible ride quality (not stiff as a board but I don't mind it a little bumpy
3) ability to raise and lower due to seasons and it being a winter beater with hopes to make it a autox-er in the spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then I suggest GC/Konis then. If you really look you can fine new Konis for like $500.00 or so, and GCs can be pretty cheap, especially if you find some used from someone who's "upgrading" to some JDM full coil-overs or some ****.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend koni yellow/GC with standard off the shelf rates for daily, and then when you get crazy you can swap in stiffer rates. as for an exhaust I would say Rsr exmag.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (808_si)

i got tein SS's and theyre nice for the daily commute.

i also have an apexi ws thats not very loud at all and flows well.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my koni/GC combo.

Check out Apex World Sport II for an exhaust, those things offer decent gains and a more stockish look. They are very quiet unless you step on it.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VR6 driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Before I get the flamage, I'm a vortex refugee so I know all about euro's just don't know jack about hondas. </TD></TR></TABLE>AS AM I !!! But I was always into Hondas and wanted to try something differant , BAD MISTAKE ! Volkswagens are horrible ! I just put mine up for sale !
Old 10-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (omega02379)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omega02379 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> BAD MISTAKE ! Volkswagens are horrible ! I just put mine up for sale ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I miss my dub, they are not that bad, just a pain to maintain. but oh well to each his own.

I wonder how many other people on here came from the 'tex
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (B18C5-EH2)

I think Koni is kind of overkill for what he wants. A decent alternative to the Koni Yellow's is the KYB AGX, which are still adjustable and a little cheaper. Koni is obviously the better shock/strut, but if your first priority is cost, then I would definitely opt for the KYB's. However, I'd still stick with the Ground Controls... You can even chose you're own spring rate if you order them new.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM

What i say might not matter, but if you're not doing some serious track racing then why bother spending thousands of dollars on the top of the line suspension. I have TEIN Basics and they work just fine, nice ride, good reaction time and soft suspension....UNless your gonna take 90 degreen turns in town at like 60...which most police wont let you...why bother. If you ARE trying to save a little money go with TEIN I've used the same setup on my old 96 GSR and had no problems. It's all in what YOU are going ot do with the suspension.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM

And this is gonna sound noobish but my buddy had an 01 EX and he had yellows on his car and hadto replace the whole setup because something fucked up bad...yeah no details i know....But it made him change to the SS tein setup...just my last thoughts on your problem...TEIN also has 16 height adjustments
Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think Koni is kind of overkill for what he wants. A decent alternative to the Koni Yellow's is the KYB AGX, which are still adjustable and a little cheaper. Koni is obviously the better shock/strut, but if your first priority is cost, then I would definitely opt for the KYB's. However, I'd still stick with the Ground Controls... You can even chose you're own spring rate if you order them new.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I too was going to suggest KYB/AGX because I used to have a set and loved them, BUT they will not handle rates like the Konis would if he ever chooses to go with upped rates.

IMO the AGXs are the best bang for the buck strut, but they are not able to handle the really stiff stuff like Konis. They'll be maxed out more so than Konis.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:08 AM

This place rules. Thanks guys

Anyone got any online shops to check out?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VR6 driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This place rules. Thanks guys

Anyone got any online shops to check out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I went through a h-t sponsor, RobearRacing.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I went through a h-t sponsor, RobearRacing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've used them, ProStreet and IRP (all sponsors, and all great service); but I always call Chris at RedShift Motorsports first. If you want the Koni / GC setup, I think he's offering it for less than $800 now.

Quick Reply: I'll keep all my n00b questions to this one thread, promise