Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition system mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition system mystery

My del Sol will not crank. When trying to start the interior lights dim, but the starter makes no attempt to crank.

I replaced the starter, battery, and swapped the starter cut relay. No dice.

I wired the starter direct to the battery and it is working fine. I used a circuit tester to verify that all engine bay grounds are good. I also verified that the ignition switch is working properly. The car can be push started so the distributor, coil, etc. are fine.

Further testing with the circuit tester showed that the clutch switch is not getting juice when the key is turned to the start position. This is obviously a problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ignition system mystery (binarypunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binarypunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wired the starter direct to the battery and it is working fine. I used a circuit tester to verify that all engine bay grounds are good. I also verified that the ignition switch is working properly. The car can be push started so the distributor, coil, etc. are fine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

isn't the starter supposed to be wired to the battery? this is how mine is set up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binarypunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Further testing with the circuit tester showed that the clutch switch is not getting juice when the key is turned to the start position. This is obviously a problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when ypu say "no juice" do you mean the wires leading to the switch or the switch itself. try replacing the switch.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition system mystery (philosofy1)

Thanks for the quick response.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
isn't the starter supposed to be wired to the battery? this is how mine is set up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. I made a redneck starter wire that I hooked up to the starter and applied the other end of that wire to the battery. At any rate, the starter is good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
when ypu say "no juice" do you mean the wires leading to the switch or the switch itself. try replacing the switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I mean the two wires leading to the clutch switch. I would expect one of those wires to show voltage when the key is turned to the start position. I tested both wires and there is no electricity. I also tested with a multimeter too just to be sure. I would like to avoid buying a new switch if that is not the problem.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ignition system mystery (binarypunk)

check the start relay. also i believe the wires at the switch should have a ground going to it, not 12v. and there are 2 switches if you have cruise, make sure your checking the right one.