Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s

My ignition cylinder is obviously busted as the key will not turn whatsoever. I highly doubt it can be repaired. However, how can I tell if my ignition switch (white piece) is damaged or not?

Lastly, will I run into any problems installing a brand new aftermarket replacement ignition cylinder?

Modified by nightrider at 6:59 PM 2/1/2008
Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s (nightrider)

I'm only assuming the white part is called the switch and the other part the cylinder.

What's the tumbler then? Is it possible that the tumbler is my only broken piece?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no thats what they take off to start the vehicle but it will mount back on to the other ignition
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (serio_ENDLESS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by serio_ENDLESS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no thats what they take off to start the vehicle but it will mount back on to the other ignition</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, luckily they were not able to start the car (as i had intended).

i just wanted to make sure before i purchase the ignition as i'm short on cash replacing all my parts that were stolen.

anyway, i can get the ignition cylinder keyed so it will accept my current set of keys right?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nightrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks, luckily they were not able to start the car (as i had intended).

i just wanted to make sure before i purchase the ignition as i'm short on cash replacing all my parts that were stolen.

anyway, i can get the ignition cylinder keyed so it will accept my current set of keys right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Most locksmiths can key your new ignition to accept your original key, around here they charge ~$50 to do it, you might want to make sure they didn't brake anything on the harness (specifically the two points on that white piece you are holding that screw into the cylinder), I believe Honda sells the cylinder with the harness as one piece (~$150), pretty easy to replace a few bolts that break off at the correct torque, just kind of a pain in the ***. I guess it is better than having the car gone.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saywhat)

Also depending on how rough they were with the column, you might be able to salvage it and bend back some stuff with a little patience so that it isn't crooked. However, if they did a shitty job you will need to pick up a new column, and replace the broken unit, which is really simple and straight forward to replace.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you might want to make sure they didn't brake anything on the harness (specifically the two points on that white piece you are holding that screw into the cylinder) </TD></TR></TABLE>

according to this picture, i think it's ok. you're talking about tabs where the screws go right?

removed image...

Modified by nightrider at 6:59 PM 2/1/2008
Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also depending on how rough they were with the column, you might be able to salvage it and bend back some stuff with a little patience so that it isn't crooked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how will i know if the column is broken? the car is able to steer just fine as i had my brother tow me with his truck from down the street.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah totally looks like the harness is okay... the only problem is the only way you can really replace the cylinder is by buying a new one from Honda that comes with a new harness anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem is the only way you can really replace the cylinder is by buying a new one from Honda that comes with a new harness anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

notice my ebay link?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

notice my ebay link?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhh... Sorry didn't see that... yeah that will work, you will still need to spend some time bending parts of your column back to normal (just take your time). But that ignition should work, I would call your local dealership to see if that is a good/reasonable price, and call the local locksmith to double-check the price to re-key the ignition. But otherwise
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...91816 This set might save you the trip to the locksmith, just swap the cylinders on the door handles... either way, just shop around and be an educated consumer my friend.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you dont mind your steering wheel not being able to lock ever again you can re use that ignition..put the white piece back in the tumbler and replace the missing screws with new ones and then zip tie your igniton back up to the steering column..and you can still use your key just the steering column wont ever lock..
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you can still use your key just the steering column wont ever lock..</TD></TR></TABLE>

the key does not turn whatsoever.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 AM

u should b fine bc wen i got my car it was the same thing.....if it turns on ur goood..an i replace it wit an ebay one but one thin wit mine the key turn the car on but u can still pull the key outa n the car would b still runin....
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one last question, by replacing the ignition cylinder, will my steering wheel lock? i don't konw what mechanism locks the steering wheel after the car is turned off.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one last question, by replacing the ignition cylinder, will my steering wheel lock? i don't konw what mechanism locks the steering wheel after the car is turned off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the inner shaft of the column didn't get too screwed up it will lock, but sometimes it gets bent. I would say 90-95% of the time the column will lock again. The locking mechanism is located on the ignition cylinder, it is a little metal piece that pops up into the column when the key is taken out of the ignition.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

if your wheel doesnt lock now it wont lock after replacing the key cylinder. there is a metal post that drops into a notch on your column. thieves force the steering wheel breaking the post so they steer the car. did they take the car and you recovered it? with what was done that car should be long gone, column lock is busted and car can be started with a flat screwdriver
Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s (nub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your wheel doesnt lock now it wont lock after replacing the key cylinder. there is a metal post that drops into a notch on your column. thieves force the steering wheel breaking the post so they steer the car. did they take the car and you recovered it? with what was done that car should be long gone, column lock is busted and car can be started with a flat screwdriver </TD></TR></TABLE>

He is buying a whole new ignition minus the harness, the steering lock is on the ignition not the column itself. Thief's don't break the locking mechanism, they break the whole ignition off the column so that the mechanism doesn't engage the column at all.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ignition system is put in with sheer bolts. You'll need an 'easy out' to remove them. A sheer bolt is a bolt with a hex head like any other bolt. It also has threads like any other bolt. Here's the kicker.....just below the hex head (on the shaft of the bolt) is an area that looks like and hour glass. When the bolt is tightened it 'sheers' at the center of the hour glass leaving nothing to attach a wrench to. All you see is the top end of a rounded bolt. Drill it in the center and use an easy out to remove the bolts. When I put mine back in I used an allen bolt head. Yes, a thief could easily remove the ignition and there by steel the car, but I've got some other gimmicks installed to ward off the thieves. I removed the lock in the steering so I don't need to remove my keys from my pocket. I'm lazy. So I have a push button start, along with an alarm, etc. I'm not going to go into great detail with what I have, but I've never had any issues. Good luck with your ignition.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s (RIZOBIZERT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RIZOBIZERT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ignition system is put in with sheer bolts. You'll need an 'easy out' to remove them. A sheer bolt is a bolt with a hex head like any other bolt. It also has threads like any other bolt. Here's the kicker.....just below the hex head (on the shaft of the bolt) is an area that looks like and hour glass. When the bolt is tightened it 'sheers' at the center of the hour glass leaving nothing to attach a wrench to. All you see is the top end of a rounded bolt. Drill it in the center and use an easy out to remove the bolts. When I put mine back in I used an allen bolt head. Yes, a thief could easily remove the ignition and there by steel the car, but I've got some other gimmicks installed to ward off the thieves. I removed the lock in the steering so I don't need to remove my keys from my pocket. I'm lazy. So I have a push button start, along with an alarm, etc. I'm not going to go into great detail with what I have, but I've never had any issues. Good luck with your ignition. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This or dremel a flat head notch in the top, pretty easy to take out, they are only torqued to about 10 ftlbs.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you order a NEW ignition assembly from Honda, it will come with the white "switch" and harness + the new sheer bolts to install it.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s (nub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with what was done that car should be long gone, column lock is busted and car can be started with a flat screwdriver </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, well i've got a few tricks...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94CivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94CivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you order a NEW ignition assembly from Honda, it will come with the white "switch" and harness + the new sheer bolts to install it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

right and according to hondaautomotiveparts.com, the list price is 352.15. they're charging 246!!

i've got one sourced out on ebay. thanks though.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM

I had the same problem except my tab could turn. Turn with a key and the best with a flat head, lol.... Thats one way to steal a car, after learning the damages i got on mine...

Quick Reply: ignition switch and ignition cylinder after theft ?s