Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

..Could it be my clutch? No slipping, though.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ..Could it be my clutch? No slipping, though.

I have had a problem with my shifter vibrating for quite some time now. It vibrates strongly, and started only doing it while under some type of heavy load (higher RPM's, going uphill, etc). Now, it's starting to do it more often, and in more gears.

At first, I thought it was engine/transmission mounts. They ALL have been replaced, including the torque mounts. The problem persisted, so I changed my CV axles, which didn't change anything. Then I changed my shifter bushings with the energy suspension ones, which seemed to alleviate the problem but not fix it. It almost felt like they were absorbing these vibrations a little bit when they would happen. Now, after less than 2 weeks, it's back to basically what it was before.

I would suspect the clutch, but I have absolutely NO problems shifting. I have replaced the master/slave cylinders in the recent past, and the clutch fluid is new and clear. The pedal is adjusted correctly (height/engagement height). When this vibration has happened in the past, I have purposely given it more gas and kept my eyes glued to the RPM gauge to make sure it wasn't slipping at all.

I am at a loss. I would now suspect these vibrations to be due to the clutch or the springs inside the clutch..I have no clue. There are no other funny sounds coming from the transmission/engine, and I changed the transmission fluid last week with Honda MTF (2nd time changing it since I got the car, 30k ago).

Could the springs inside the clutch disc be causing this? Thanks for any advice..I REALLY don't want to tear this thing down / get the flywheel machined / replace the clutch and pressure plate if I'm not certain it needs to be done.. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: ..Could it be my clutch? No slipping, though.

There's more to the shift linkages then just 2 bushings it could be #13 your shift linkage. i'm dealing with a similar issue on my teg https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/shifter-wiggles-l-r-gear-if-neutral-3163888/
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant see how a clutch would cause your shifter to vibrate, how much vibration is it? have you driven other cars to compare?

I remember your last thread sorry your issue persists, only other thing I can think of is trying to change your "bitch"pin. or possibky the rubber boot and the white pivoting holder thing that attaches the shifter to the linkage. (8 and 11) they were shot on my ef.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe a flywheel problem.

Is the engine possibly misfiring?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine isn't misfiring at all - drives great! No CEL either. I know the shifter linkage is made of a TON of parts, so I guess my best bet would be to start tearing it all the way down and replacing.. I'm not looking forward to the bitch pin though. I will look at the Integra thread to see what I can find in there - I have had this car for about a year and this only started happening when I was out west (extended road trip). I have also had a Kia Optima, Ford ZX2, and Toyota Pickup that were all stick shift - none of them did anything close to this. I might be able to take a video next time I'm in the car with a passenger, since it does it quite often now!

So just to get everyone caught up, I've already replaced #18 and #15, and may start with 24, 4, and 5. From reading the link at the top of this post, I'm finding that some people have trouble with the riveted area on #13, near the bitch pin? How would I tell if this part is shot? I am hoping it's something to do with 8, 11, or those other 24, 4, and 5.

Should I just say f@#$ it and get a B&M short shifter while I'm doing all of this? I'm debating, since I'll have it taken all apart anyway. But I don't race / drive fast..I'd just like the shorter shifts I suppose.

Flywheel is a possibility - it feels like a VERY badly machined flywheel..but then wouldn't it do it consistently, and not just sometimes?

Last edited by Koko4; 08-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So Honda just tried to bend me over BIG time. I was trying to replace the parts above..I think it's time to find them somewhere else. Don't worry - this was just a price quote. I mean, $7.55 for a damn washer!? I should have asked them if they were going to give me some lube with it so it didn't hurt so much when they were raping me.

So..anyone know where to get these parts cheaper? I'm about to go look at the local Pull-a-Part and see what I can find. But good LORD, that is ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i can't see how any of it can be due to the clutch, at all. there is always going to be some vibration, as the shifter is mounted directly to a shift rod, whereas most fwd cars use a cable instead of a rod.

is the shifter sloppy?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whenever I had this problem all I did was tighten the shifter bushing under the car and it never rattled again. Can you wobble the shifter like it's in neutral when your in a gear?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO you're always going to feel vibration through the shifter with solid linkage.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
IMO you're always going to feel vibration through the shifter with solid linkage.
It shouldn't vibrate so bad it makes a rattle noise under the car... Mine doesn't rattle at all or shake now that I got the bushing tight.