Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do?

ok after this summer its off to college ... i have some money and was planning on buying wheels and full coilovers next summer .. which would be close to 2 g's .. im gunna get the car almost the way i want it to look by the end of this summer .. minus a drop and wheels ..

so i was just wondering .. what would u guys do if u were in my situation .. i would like to go a little faster .. but i hear ppl say how slow there stock 185hp turbods d16's are

do u guys have any advice?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (99d16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99d16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would fix the suspension and the brakes and then learn to drive the car in the rain
w/o crashing! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf?

i would probably buy a nice spring/shock combo, and use the other 1k for something else. Since youre going to college, dont plan on spending too much on youre car. with a nice spring/shock combo your car will look nicer and feel awesome, you wont be disappointed. and it wont cost you over 1k.....unless you get Tein's
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (99d16)

Ok the people that say their turbo Ds are slow is because compaired to an actuall performance car. It is Slow.

Now with that said Turbo D-series are probably the cheapest form of turbo fun to be had. they can be a blast as long as you still dont expect to beat an LS1 Camaro.

Fix the suspension! getting a drop and better tires will be more fun than any bolt on you can buy. Then go Turbo.

:edit: Dont get TEINs. There are better options out there for less $$
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With good tuning, people have made 250+whp with stock block sohc turbo.

Dont think you have to settle for 180whp.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With good tuning, people have made 250+whp with stock block sohc turbo.

Dont think you have to settle for 180whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe True. But For a Stock internals 220whp would be the absolute limit to push on a DD. check the Forced Induction Forum if you dont believe me.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (pjr710)

boost
Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (LowSlow93Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
:edit: Dont get TEINs. There are better options out there for less $$ </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was hinting to

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and it wont cost you over 1k.....unless you get Tein's</TD></TR></TABLE>

ground controls + koni yellows = $800. awesome setup for cheap. done.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (LowSlow93Sol)

home made turbo. 800.00 to 1200.00 get some kyb agx adjustable struts with some nuespeed or tein s-tech drop coils for about 300.00 I found a set of 4 kyb agx brand new for 172.00 shipped a while back hell of a deal.

chipped p28 with uberdata is free.

There are many options for smaller budget. Just gotta look around.

The bottom lines is: Do what YOU want do to with your hard earned money. Take advice and opinions from others but told let them tell you what to buy.

Good luck and have fun starting your "project"
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

get some 15 inch rims and slap on some nice performance tires.

you can get coilovers or just non adjustable struts and springs and put away the rest for something else. (you really don't need coilovers for street use only unless you auto-x or something.)
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (LowSlow93Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe True. But For a Stock internals 220whp would be the absolute limit to push on a DD. check the Forced Induction Forum if you dont believe me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hardly.
273whp driven daily.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1580076

There is no "limit" to DD. It all depends on how you drive.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sunspesion and wheels, and nice tires...For 2k you might also be able to get Si brakes and sway bars if you shop around .

My advice....take your time, research and know exactly what you want, then find the best deal on it.

then turbo the D....it will be a heck of a lot of fun
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (pjr710)

can't really properly turbo a car for less than 2Gs, so if I were to sink the money into the car I'd go for suspension stuff.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hardly.
273whp driven daily.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1580076

There is no "limit" to DD. It all depends on how you drive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I stand corrected.(Those are damn good #s and a good build) But still this is not a typical instance of a stock block. Otherwise people would be nuts over turbos instead of doing swaps.

I still have a hard time believing that the engine doesn't have a different head gasket. I thought the accepted number for boost was about 10 psi on a stock block before you start having problems. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (thehatchninja)

You're going to college, huh? Well, in that case, here's your first lesson. You ready? Okay.

I'm not sure what you've heard or experienced thus far in your life, but college is 98% likely to be the most fun you ever have in your entire life. If you have a girlfriend, dump her. If you have a hobby, forget it. If you have money, save it. If you don't like beer, grow up. And if you have a stock Honda, leave it the expletive alone and drive it until you're done with college.

$2000 will last you a long time at University, and if you want to have any flexibility in your choice of entertainment - read: ability to pimp all the college ***** you'll be surrounded by - it would be wise to keep it in the bank until it's necesarry to use rather than dumping it on a car that will never pull a G on the skidpad and never cut lower than a 14.0 in the quarter mile - and that last one at full-tilt, *****-out breaking **** halfway down the track because you're overboosting to 15 pounds.

Taking the corner before Kroger at 45 instead of 35 isn't a good reason to dump $800-$1200 in suspension parts while simultaneously making the ride more rough. It's just not. Being able to break off the riced out Prelude that lives next door is not a good reason to throw money at a turbo project. You're going to college. Let me say that again. You're going to college. Do yourself a favor: keep your air conditioning cold, your car quiet as possible and your dick wrapped in lots of condoms.

You'll thank me later.

-Management.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:58 PM

kyb agx's
ground control's
rotas
Old 08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Help we my pennies

700=gc/koni
500= si front
700= wheels
100= camber kit
Old 08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're going to college, huh? Well, in that case, here's your first lesson. You ready? Okay.

I'm not sure what you've heard or experienced thus far in your life, but college is 98% likely to be the most fun you ever have in your entire life. If you have a girlfriend, dump her. If you have a hobby, forget it. If you have money, save it. If you don't like beer, grow up. And if you have a stock Honda, leave it the expletive alone and drive it until you're done with college.

$2000 will last you a long time at University, and if you want to have any flexibility in your choice of entertainment - read: ability to pimp all the college ***** you'll be surrounded by - it would be wise to keep it in the bank until it's necesarry to use rather than dumping it on a car that will never pull a G on the skidpad and never cut lower than a 14.0 in the quarter mile - and that last one at full-tilt, *****-out breaking **** halfway down the track because you're overboosting to 15 pounds.

Taking the corner before Kroger at 45 instead of 35 isn't a good reason to dump $800-$1200 in suspension parts while simultaneously making the ride more rough. It's just not. Being able to break off the riced out Prelude that lives next door is not a good reason to throw money at a turbo project. You're going to college. Let me say that again. You're going to college. Do yourself a favor: keep your air conditioning cold, your car quiet as possible and your dick wrapped in lots of condoms.

You'll thank me later.

-Management.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i must say that is one of the best pieces of advice i have ever gotten

but on the other note .. the 2g's is money that i worked specifically to put towards my car .. i mean right now im not thinkin about college .. im thinking about hondas .. i know that once in college i will not think about hondas .. haha enough said

but anyway .. i was planning on koni yellows and gc coils .. some time of rotas w/ tires b/c their light and cheap .. thinking of 16's ..

and one more question .. is there anyway i can buy a turbo set up and keep a/c ?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're going to college, huh? Well, in that case, here's your first lesson. You ready? Okay.

You'll thank me later.

-Management.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I absolutely agree!!!!! Im in college right now and trust me save your money for college and when you get out, you will be rewarded with a nice chunk of change and most likely a decent to great paying job...Then when you pull up in your STI or Evo your 16 sec Honda will be the last of your worries...Not that there isnt anything wrong with wrenching on your honda, but just be smart with your money..Thats of course why we are all here for our "Be-loved Hondas"...

And yes you can run a turbo set up with your A/c.... Try a Ramhorn or log manifold to keep your a/c...I run 15" GSR blades with 205/50s and it rides pretty decent w/ Skunk 2 adj coil overs and KYB struts....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc'd upEJ8)

i much rather a nice swapped boosted civic or integra over an evo or sti .. well i like evos and stis a lot .. but i always want to have a nice fast as hell honda
Old 08-02-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (pjr710)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pjr710 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i much rather a nice swapped boosted civic or integra over an evo or sti .. well i like evos and stis a lot .. but i always want to have a nice fast as hell honda</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still love my Hondas but it was just used an example as for a kid in college with dreams of performance....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99d16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would fix the suspension and the brakes and then learn to drive the car in the rain
w/o crashing! </TD></TR></TABLE>

suspension first bro...then brakes then nice set of rims with good tires...if you still have money left over then get a intake or sumthing...haha
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do? (bmoua)

yea alrite .. so i guess my head was in the right spot then b/c thats what i was gunna do .. wheels and suspension .. thx guys
Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pjr710 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea alrite .. so i guess my head was in the right spot then b/c thats what i was gunna do .. wheels and suspension .. thx guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

One suggestion in the suspension department. If you're set on spending all that money on your car - and that's perfectly fine as long as you know what else could be done with it - make sure you don't build for overkill. When I say that I mean don't spend all the money on Ground Controls and Koni Yellows if you're not going to road race or autocross competitively. Why? Because while you'll handle very well and your car will be about as point-and-shoot as possible, it'll be a rather uncomfortable daily driver.

Some KYB AGXs and Tein S-Tech springs make a nice combination for a daily driver/sometimes racer. It's what I run and I can chase down MUCH faster cars at the road course (Z06 vettes, SR20DET 240s on R-compounds, Benz compressor hatchbacks, etc.) without sacrificing my kidneys to the suspension gods every time I hit a pothole

Also, make sure you get a nice rear swaybar. Suspension Techniques is my suggestion as you don't need special control arms to run it Don't forget to include the alignment cost in your budget, either.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop it and turbocharge, the steelies are fine

homemadeturbo.com

I'm in the EXACT same position as u, I want to get my car ready for college, but I don't wanna add **** that'll make it get stolen, jsut set up the stereo system today, asside from that, just some minor work (flush radiator & change to green coolant & bleed/refill brakes since it's orig. brake fluid)..

Anyways, I haven't decided what I'ma do, but NEXT summer, I'm either going to turbo-charge my D-series w/ forged pistons/rods/bearings and a good tune, run about 20lbs daily, should put me up to a lil over 200whp if I plan correctly for about 1400 bux....Either that or I'ma take whatever $$$ I have and I might sell the honda for something that's faster stock...like another GSX eclipse :-\, have to wait to see how things pan out

But the Turbo-D isn't slow at all..unless like the first guy said, u wanna compare it to an LS1 corvette

Also, it depends if i Have the car? What if I smack another deer and total it on teh way home or something from the college? Expect the unexpected...and there's a lot of unexpected ****....play it by ear and then plan to do it...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

save another 2k or so and get a ctr swap, or save 4k and go k-series.

Quick Reply: if u had 2k to spend on a stock 97 ex coupe .. what would u do?