Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle screw whistle after TB Spacer installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle screw whistle after TB Spacer installation

just put a TB spacer on the other day and when i went to drive it, it sounds like when u mess with the idle screw and u get that whistling noise at a certain throttle postion. I tried messing with the screw but no matter how i adjust it, it still seems to make the noise. the noise is only at a specific throttle postion (about 1/3 open). Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue with a TB spacer (Keep in mind i never messed with the screw prior to putting the spacer on or ever for that matter). thx for the help
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle screw whistle? TB Spacer new

"Whistling noise" equals "Vacuum Leak".

Check for bad gaskets.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle screw whistle? TB Spacer new

I thought TB spacers always whistled. I know a couple guys that have them on there trucks and they both whisle.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Idle screw whistle after TB Spacer installation

Sounds like a leaking gasket. Check the whole thing. And what was the reason you put a spacer on?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace tb body gasket. Had the exact problem you had due to my gasket.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy way to find the vac leak is to get a can of brake cleaner, spray around where bolts/gaskets are and wherever it disrupts your idle is where the leak is
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i got it used and the reason i put it on was cuz it was free and as for the gaskets they were more plastic like than metal. i have some extra make your own gasket material i used for my exhaust any issues with using metal ones? i say that just because the ones it came with weren't metal. thx for all the replies
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline303
ok i got it used and the reason i put it on was cuz it was free and as for the gaskets they were more plastic like than metal. i have some extra make your own gasket material i used for my exhaust any issues with using metal ones? i say that just because the ones it came with weren't metal. thx for all the replies
I've never used a metal TB Gasket. The OEM ones are a cardbord/fiber material.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill probly just go with the cardboard/fiber ones also in a related question the studs that come out of the intake manifold should just reverse out with a pair of vices grips right?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vacuum leak, no doubt. try covering it with your finger and check if idle would change.

sometimes even if you thoroughly check the area, the map sensor is overlooked. it cracks easily. i destroyed mine when I cleaned it before, accidentally.

make sure to check it out as well
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spacers ALWAYS whistle. Its the sound of the air passing over the spiral splines designed to "twist" the air into a vortex. If the sound is the only thing you've noticed and have no problem with idle etc., This is a finished job.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Trial User

there is nothing wrong, when you hear the whistle, it means its working. thats the air turning as it enters the chamber, if you didnt hear a whiste you bought a shitty tb spacer. lol
Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by delsolbubba
there is nothing wrong, when you hear the whistle, it means its working. thats the air turning as it enters the chamber, if you didnt hear a whiste you bought a shitty tb spacer. lol
Which TB spacers aren't shitty?

Unless someone can show me empirical DATA that proves a TB spacer actually makes power on a small displacement Honda/Acura engine I will stick to my "TB spacers are ricer mods with false butt dyno proof" assertion.

I'm waiting for some before/after dyno charts...I guess I'll be waiting infinitely, because the same people who install a TB spacer are probably the last people to ever have their car dynoed.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Which TB spacers aren't shitty?

Unless someone can show me empirical DATA that proves a TB spacer actually makes power on a small displacement Honda/Acura engine I will stick to my "TB spacers are ricer mods with false butt dyno proof" assertion.

I'm waiting for some before/after dyno charts...I guess I'll be waiting infinitely, because the same people who install a TB spacer are probably the last people to ever have their car dynoed.

If u read the thread I said I got it for free and put it on just because I'm not stupid I know it makes little to no horsepower gains on a d16 but I put it on just cuz I had it laying around thx for all the helpful replies I'm goin to replace the gaskets and see if that helps the sound out a bit but if not it sounds like that's just the way it is suppossed to sound thx guys (except for B18c5-eh2 lol)
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is common for our throttle bodies to whistle at a certain throttle position. My S2000 throttle body on my GSR whistles at about 1/2 throttle. Other people that use aftermarket intake manifolds or throttle bodies also experience this. i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by redline303
If u read the thread I said I got it for free and put it on just because I'm not stupid I know it makes little to no horsepower gains on a d16 but I put it on just cuz I had it laying around
In my years of being into Hondas, and working at a Honda only repair shop, I have come across NUMEROUS free items that were laying around. I've actually had someone literally give me a TB spacer for free, but I had no desire to waste my time installing it because it quite literally does nothing. Just because something is free doesn't warrant installing it.

thx guys (except for B18c5-eh2 lol)
You could thank for me for at least informing you that a TB spacer is worthless.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea b18c5 is correct, you should be thankin him.
TB spacers are pretty much junk, I dun care what brand it is.

AN if it whistles then yes there is a leak, an no TB spacers are not said to be good by the sound they make... lol wow! really you guys c'mon.

The ONLY reason anyone would use a TB spacer is to increase the Plenum volume. A tb spacer can give your engine a small amount of throttle response but thats about it. the spiraling of the air is just a sales pitch an is not doing anything for performance. The only time i would ever spend the money on a TB spaacer is if i had a small Intake manifold on a supercharged car an needed a little bit more plenum space.

all in all... a TB spaces is like having a A/F gauge coming off your stock narrowband o2 sensor.... TRASH!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh an Felpro makes the metal TB gaskets, they Seal very well. the best sealing tb gasket in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bring me ANY car that whistles and ill show you a leak with the smoke machine. hands down EVERY time, TB or not.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i use to have a tb spacer on my b18b1 it dosent make no diffrence i just install it for the hell of it it cost me 20 buck so tb spacers are designed for certain veichles to gain hp to none its all depends on the car my tb spacer was made by edelbrock but anyways the purpose for that is to gain power and it will make that whistling sound i had it for experience and actually contact edelbrock for that noise and it does sound like that dont know why and dont care but dont trip i heard lots of cars with tb spacers and it sounds the same some with more than have open some with less my speacilly sound exactly at 3000 rpm weird huh but run fine and a bit difrence on hp gain
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well your creditability is gone from the min you said power gains.

TB SPACERS DONT GIVE YOU ANY POWER.. all its doing is making the first intial gulp of air a little larger for throttle response. its like moving the throttle body away from the manifold for more plenum space. thats it! Once you open the throttle plate an consume the air in the plenum, the spacers job is done. why would anyone think that it gives you power across the power ban? becasue thats what it says on the box?

I can only tell you, its up to you to do research if you dont believe me.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by THC07
Well your creditability is gone from the min you said power gains.

TB SPACERS DONT GIVE YOU ANY POWER.. all its doing is making the first intial gulp of air a little larger for throttle response. its like moving the throttle body away from the manifold for more plenum space. thats it! Once you open the throttle plate an consume the air in the plenum, the spacers job is done. why would anyone think that it gives you power across the power ban? becasue thats what it says on the box?

I can only tell you, its up to you to do research if you dont believe me.
its true it doesnt add any HP.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put the "throttle body spacer" in the same category as this:

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -__-
put the "throttle body spacer" in the same category as this:

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
bro what u talkin about those are sickkkk :O
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** i dontn know but i dynoed it and it just gain a couple of horsepower not a lot but well everybody has a diffrent opinion and experieence

Quick Reply: Idle screw whistle after TB Spacer installation